2015 Hamble Winter Series

Judders

Visit site
We're canning it for tomorrow.

4 out of 6 are coming from London and the liklihood of it being a wasted trip is fairly strong I should think.

TallBuoy

Visit site
We're canning it for tomorrow.

4 out of 6 are coming from London and the liklihood of it being a wasted trip is fairly strong I should think.

Probably a good move. Even if they travel and you race, it will be a pretty bumpy ride.

I've got to decide by 0800 whether to run or NoverA the Solent Circuit in Lymington.

Judders

Visit site
Well so far this Sunday is going okay. Two good coffees out of a China mug, Tom Cunliffe on the Kindle, twenty minutes bedroomballoonvolleyballtennis with the children and SWMBO is starting the roast shortly...

Birdseye

Visit site
There are many rules that dont affect sailing performance , however breaking this one clearly does .
1. Moves weight outboard further than rules allow for two crewmembers , thats has definate performance enhancements.

Moving two 80kg guys all of a further 2 inches outboard ( and I doubt its even that given that they didnt move their ar5es when they ducked under the top wire) wont make the slightest real world difference to the righting moment or sailing performance of a 2 tonne boat. 8 crew on the rail compared to 8 crew in the cockpit si a different matter but the movement we are talking about here is either trivial or non existant.

Racecruiser

Visit site
I see the racing was called off today and I've just had a look at BrambleMet which shows it was pretty fresh and no doubt would have been challenging with solent tides but what do those competing think? I'm not inviting criticism (just thoughts) as go/no go decisions by race teams can be weighty judgements!

Lucky Duck

Visit site
I think Bramble met is understating wind strengths at the moment, for example when I looked a few moments ago it was showing a lot less than soton met which I would expect to be more sheltered in SWlys

Last edited:

TallBuoy

Visit site
I made the no-go for Lymington at 0630 this morning, so I could text all the competitors and save them leaving home.

Haven't had a single complaint, yet !

flaming

Visit site
Seemed pretty sensible to me.

Only gripe I ever really have with them canning the races is that they wait until 7am. The forecast hadn't changed from the night before and there wasn't really much hope that it would. Quite a few crew on a number of boats come long distances to sail, so yesterday we were calling them and they were turning around after already being on the road for a long time.
I think the number of times that the forecast overstates the conditions on Saturday so that a no-go forecast becomes sailable on Sunday are so vastly outnumbered by the times the no-go forecast is proved exactly right that I'd prefer to see them cancelling on Saturday evening and saving people journeys that they were pretty sure we're going to be wasted before they even set off.

Last edited:

Judders

Visit site
Its a fair point. When I called Olly (co-owner) on Saturday night he asked "have we ever been wrong before" and it's true, I've never lost a days sailing having cancelled the night before.

I know RSYC do around 1900 on the Saturday night. Given the distances travelled, HRSC could do the same.

markhomer

Visit site
Moving two 80kg guys all of a further 2 inches outboard ( and I doubt its even that given that they didnt move their ar5es when they ducked under the top wire) wont make the slightest real world difference to the righting moment or sailing performance of a 2 tonne boat. 8 crew on the rail compared to 8 crew in the cockpit si a different matter but the movement we are talking about here is either trivial or non existant.

2" inches you must have hella of a skinny folk. Down there !!!!! ,
Think about it , arse goes from on boat to over side , back goes from against rail to outside , chest goes from inside boat leaning in , to against , or further out to sit vertically , , up here folks wear clothes and got forbid buoyancy or lifejackets when required too , pushing you out further .

Praps answer would be , allowing looser guard wires for helm and trimmer , its a mare in small boats sitting in .

Two peeps on light small boat , yup will make a difference .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

flaming

Visit site
Odds of sailing this weekend...? I think it's looking ok now. Looking mid teens ish, but bring an extra jumper....

Judders

Visit site
Odds of sailing this weekend...? I think it's looking ok now. Looking mid teens ish, but bring an extra jumper....

It's looking gurt cold.

The main challenge however might be not getting snowed in at home. My worry is that if I cant make it, I've got the VHF so none of them can go out.

Judders

Visit site
Thanks Chris.

The forecast for tonight isn't looking as bad right now so hopefully I'll make but if I don't I'll get back to you.