2015 Hamble Winter Series

Judders

Visit site
That's interesting because our IRC fleets have reduced to the extent that we had to merge them into one. Others have gone into our variant of the NHC. However, the smaller cheaper boats continue to thrive, i.e. Folk boats, J80's and RS Elites.

I thinks it because folk don't want to spend money on competing to IRC level, i.e. keeping the boat quick enough, and with a slick consistent crew, for Sunday morning round the cans.

There's not many boats in IRC4 that cost less to own than a Nordic Folkboat.

flaming

Visit site
Well another light wind day. Grumble grumble....

Given we're optimized for 15 kts plus I'd have bitten your hand off for 2 second places before racing started, but having lead the second race by a considerable distance before the wind died right out, it was a little frustrating to have the class leaders, and light wind gurus, slide round us and put yet another point on us. We're starting to run out of races that could be windy for us to pull the points back...

And did anyone else get shouted at by that large group of fishermen anchored up near one of the marks? One of them seemed very unhappy with life.

Judders

Visit site
Yeah, it's been a similar story for us. We had an average race in fourth first up, despite another cracking start, then we had a poor start and first beat in R2 but worked our way back to third (which would have left us second in the series) before slipping back down to 6th. Real snakes and ladders stuff.

I'm sure the more traditional strong winds will come.

Judders

Visit site
As for the fishermen, presumably they were the same bunch warbling on on Ch77. I know they have as much right as we do to use the radio but that combined with the attitude of some (not all) as we threaded our way between them does rather make you think they do it intentionally.

flaming

Visit site
As for the fishermen, presumably they were the same bunch warbling on on Ch77. I know they have as much right as we do to use the radio but that combined with the attitude of some (not all) as we threaded our way between them does rather make you think they do it intentionally.

Yes, along with the chap actually moored to one of the racing marks last week the actions of the anglers this series are not exactly endearing me to them. Being called every name under the sun for daring to sail between them in about 6 knots of breeze, when none of them had to haul their lines in....

Judders

Visit site
I think the guys tied to the mark the other week were charming. I think they felt a bit silly but they wouldn't have known what was going to happen and at least by staying it was the same for everyone.

flaming

Visit site
I think the guys tied to the mark the other week were charming. I think they felt a bit silly but they wouldn't have known what was going to happen and at least by staying it was the same for everyone.

Oh they were very pleasant, but it didn't exactly leave me with a positive impression of the general standard of seamanship of anglers in general.

savageseadog

Visit site
Our fleet has problems with shore based fisherman on the Mersey. Currents often dictate close to shore sailing, how these fishermen fail to see a bloody great yacht heading for their lines I don't know, the anger directed at us is unfortunate as we really don't want to spoil their day but we can't always see them.

flaming

Visit site
So no fishermen this week. But still a distinct lack of what you might term "wind". Fun little race in the end, almost worth the wait, and it's always nice when the runaway class leaders cop a Z flag penalty and a very atypical result to at least make the rest of the series interesting.

TallBuoy

Visit site
Did you get to race this week?

I got the committee boat out as the fog was lifting, and AP'd for 40 minutes, then managed to get them away. The wind went from 5 to 8kts, against the flooding tide, but everybody was happy that we had made the effort!

harstonwood

Live Staffordshire Moorlands/Boat Pwllheli
Visit site
Quick couple of question Flaming if I may as a racing newbie?
....when does the engine have to be switched off prior to start....
....if there was an opportunity to sail in winter/early spring racing events in the Solent with a visiting boat, where and which would you suggest?
Thanks HW

flaming

Visit site
Quick couple of question Flaming if I may as a racing newbie?

At your preparatory signal. Which unless changed by the SIs is 4 minutes before your start.

....if there was an opportunity to sail in winter/early spring racing events in the Solent with a visiting boat, where and which would you suggest?
Thanks HW

Depends on the boat...? Are you looking to sail IRC racing, or PY / NHC etc?

flaming

Visit site
Then Warsash Spring series is your best bet. Though I gather Lymington also gets ok fleets.

savageseadog

Visit site

At your preparatory signal. Which unless changed by the SIs is 4 minutes before your start.

The engine can surely be left running? with the drive disengaged of course