$2 epoxy glue vs expensive marine glue

Refueler

Visit site
Not strength - but properties ......

Depending on components added to the resin in manufacture changes the form and its action for particular jobs.

Yes - you can find non marine Epoxy similar to do the same job - but you then need to be able to understand and identify the correct one.

simonfraser

Visit site
same durabilty ?

unless you're building and exopy / ply boat i can't see that the difference in cost is gonna make a significant difference to a boat budget .....

Refueler

Visit site
same durabilty ?

unless you're building and exopy / ply boat i can't see that the difference in cost is gonna make a significant difference to a boat budget .....

Ok ... but when you see one at 2 quid and another with marine label at over a tenner ... ?? May not be great for small jobs ... but it soon adds up ... and it hits the change in your pocket.

Sea Change

Visit site
The cheap twin syringe epoxy tends to be pretty thick, like a gel. Not very good for getting it to soak in to whatever you're bonding.
Usually when doing epoxy work the first step is to coat all surfaces with un-thickened epoxy, then go back over with an epoxy/thickener mixture to suit the job in hand.

For a small or temporary repair the twin-syringe packs can be perfectly acceptable though, and much more convenient.

I think you'll find that the cost per kg is actually higher than if you bulk buy proper marine epoxy though.

Daverw

Visit site
One of the west kits working out just as easy to use in small quantities if you measure out accurately with syringes.

I’ve used arildite for a really small job and use hair dryer to warm up and this makes it very runny but also speeds up curing

Sea Change

Visit site
Does anybody know of a twin-syringe epoxy that is actually runny? It would be incredibly handy for little jobs.

B27

Visit site
To answer the OP, I once used some ebay or 'pound shop' epoxy for some non-critical work on a boat and found that it was not actually waterproof!
It swelled and went sticky despite having been left to cure for a week in a warm place.

Now I either use a WEST or SP or similar product, or a twin syringe from Loctite or similar with 'waterproof' on the label.

The pound shop stuff was actually very good for sticking some wood to metal and other indoor jobs.

jamie N

Visit site
I like Araldite, perhaps out of habit, but I've always found it easy to 'undo', if I've joined a couple of things in the wrong orientation by simply reheating it.

fredrussell

Visit site
West G-Flex is very nice to use and available in smallish containers with easy open spouts etc. also, it’s 1:1 ratio which makes mixing up pretty straightforward

Rappey

Visit site
If you only need a small amount of epoxy then the small syringe kits seem to work well. Other option is buy a larger kit then throw the rest out as it goes off before it gets used up