1st sail in Bristol Channel waters (kind of...!)

Richard_Peevor

Visit site
Dear All

Just to let people know that I am now nice and excited as boat will be arriving in Swansea at the end of the month.. Sadly it is via land (John Hamer, Cardiff was the best quote), its just the wrong time of year for the sea passage as with my job if I got stuck somewhere I'd have some big marina/mooring fees before I'd be free to move her again... Excuses I know!!!

Anyway, had my first sail of 2008 on New Year's day in the CBYC pursuit race which was fun, albeit with light winds and it was my first sail when living in Wales... not exactly the Bristol Channel though.

Hope to see some of you on the water soon.

Best Wishes

Richard

graham

Visit site
I think you were wise taking the lorry transport option this time of year. Hope you enjoy your first season in Bristol Channel . /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Richard_Peevor

Visit site
I sailed on the J80 Junior High with Amanda Tristram (my new boss!).. I was very impressed with the spread laid on by the club after racing - very civilised.

The sail in the bay did make me wish a berth had been available for this year at CBYC as it would have been ideal with the little ones but Heh Ho!!

Just another question Burry Port doesnt seem to get much of a mention in the blue book or the imray pilot (written before the marina built though) what are peoples opinions? It seems likle it will be the shortest sail from Swansea...

graham

Visit site
One prob with Burryport as a short sail from Swansea would be that access is restricted to near High water which would involve either going round the Gower on the ebb then waiting for water to go in or pushing against the flood tide to get there.

There are some deep water anchorages around Caldy Island that could be good for a short cruise from Swansea.Or a sail across to Porlock or Watchet Marina ,both OK for your fin and reached in a daysail.

You have to go with the flow in the Bristol Channel /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wotayottie

Visit site
Didnt Junior High win? Or is that my memory? or was it Junior High that was over the start line?

Anyway, the berths at CBYC come up for renewal / re-allocation in March from memory, so if you fancy changing (and IMHO Cardiff is a better base than Swansea) then get your name down.

Richard_Peevor

Visit site
we came into the start line on a run at the outer distance mark so it didn't take Ben Ainslie's match racing skills to simply luff us past the end of the line... we had to do a tack and a gybe to get back round...

We came about 5th I think, a J80 I think won it but it wasn't us!

Mooring fees paid till mid Nov so no move for me this year.