1980s French boats

Sea Change

Visit site
Long story, we may be jumping ship from our old 1970s Moody centre cockpit to a new boat. Scouring the market, just about everything we can find in the right budget and location is some variety of ~40ft 1980s French AWB.
For example- Jeanneau Sun Fizz, Legende; Beneteau First 38, 405; Gib'Sea 116; 126. Etc.
All these boats are very close in their dimensions and displacement, and they generally have the same sort of layout.

What would life actually be like as a full time liveaboard on one of these? We were spoiled on the Moody. Despite being less than 39ft long it had three double cabins, and the aft cabin in particular was generous and comfortable.

I've been chatting to a First 38 owner and I'm worried that the berths on these boats just won't be big enough for full time living. I'm not really in a position to view a variety of different boats, but I'm starting to wonder if these boats just aren't suitable.

Any thoughts or experiences very welcome...

lustyd

Visit site
Not sure why you’d even consider that move, is your current boat knackered?

The First series are built for racing so not even designed for normal cruising let alone living on

lustyd

Visit site
Hmmm in that case you may need to keep browsing for centre cockpit versions as you probably will be disappointed with the trade offs of a normal design. For me it’s all about the storage and many of these don’t prioritise that as they’re aimed at weekenders. We saw a beautiful Bav 42 cruiser in Gosport in immaculate condition but all of the lockers were full of boat stuff like plumbing so we passed it by.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Jeanneau Sun Fizz
Delivered one across the Atlantic. Aft cabin will be disappointing compared to the Moody. I can't remember if it had one or two aft cabins, I only recall one. The boat was fitted out for racing with spindly mast.
Water storage was not good. Managed to fit a lot of water under cabin sole in 5 litre cans.
Sailing performance was good. A mix of at mast and at cockpit line handling.
Cockpit is wide and roomy, good for sitting on edge as well but quite exposed.
Fast passage, no significant issues undersoil, good in light winds, sable enough in heavy seas.
It would not be my choice of boat for world sailing.

I know of a Rival 41 and 38 for sail which would be superior.

£40k https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/yacht/1977-rival-38-9544022/

This one is on Rival Owners FB Page, easy to become a member, just ask to join.
After 42 years we are parting with our seaworthy home and wonderful travel companion. She need a younger crew to carry on the adventure. If you are the one, PM me.
Rival 41 A
Current location: Florida
Norwegian registration, US duty paid.
$120,000

lustyd

Visit site
Why not? You give a reasonably positive write up of it. Can you remember what the forecabin was like?
They’re not bad boats but they are aimed at casual sailing and have tradeoffs. we’re setting off in a sun odyssey 36.2 as we’ve been unable to find anything better but it wouldn’t be my first choice. All of the boats you listed would work, of course, just may be hard to accept after your spacious boat

Sea Change

Visit site
They’re not bad boats but they are aimed at casual sailing and have tradeoffs. we’re setting off in a sun odyssey 36.2 as we’ve been unable to find anything better but it wouldn’t be my first choice. All of the boats you listed would work, of course, just may be hard to accept after your spacious boat
I'm considering a Sun Fizz on the market which has had the forward heads removed, to enlarge the forecabin. I'm sure it won't be a spacious as the Moody, but we need to move quickly on this and will have to make some compromises.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Why not? You give a reasonably positive write up of it. Can you remember what the forecabin was like?

Forecabin was bright and airy, standard fair, wide, not narrow like the Rivals I quote. It was a wet boat at times, so dodger was needed, also water could roll off side decks into the cockpit such was the shape of the side decks. The fin is of that age where they are strong and mounted to hull recess strengthened by stringers and ribs. I had 6 on that passage and we managed to live well in good space in saloon, and cockpit. I just did not like the design at the time.

I grant that if keeping in the Caribbean they would likely be decent enough, but nit my cup of tea.

lustyd

Visit site
I'm considering a Sun Fizz on the market which has had the forward heads removed, to enlarge the forecabin. I'm sure it won't be a spacious as the Moody, but we need to move quickly on this and will have to make some compromises.
As a stop gap if you need a replacement boat it’ll be fine

ashtead

Visit site
A 42 jeaneau DS type have loads of room even if too new but a common issue might be with DS models lack of storage . There was a long term live aboard in Haslar who had a sun fizz 41 -I guess it depends on location of vessel and how it’s been treated etc so with old boats like this it’s condition of bits and pieces like engine etc gather than model but clearly a First type might not be ideal for all. Why not a Westerly Seahawk type he says before others take the thread down the Westerly road?🤣

Sea Change

Visit site
A 42 jeaneau DS type have loads of room even if too new but a common issue might be with DS models lack of storage .
I did my day skipper on a 42DS, it thought it was a pretty daft design really. Lots of big open living space and no stowage. Fixed saloon table so no extra berths there.
Out of budget anyway.

Why not a Westerly Seahawk type he says before others take the thread down the Westerly road?
Because there's none for sale in the area I'm looking (Caribbean).

PaulRainbow

Visit site
That suggests there's actually useful storage under the cabin sole? Which would be a bonus.
If living aboard, consider condensation. A lot of those French boats have a lot of hard surfaces which drip condensation. The foam backed vinyl on Moodys, Westerlys etc don't condensate much at all.

I'd consider any of the centre cockpit Westerlys or another Moody, the 376 would be a very good boat for your needs.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I did my day skipper on a 42DS, it thought it was a pretty daft design really. Lots of big open living space and no stowage. Fixed saloon table so no extra berths there.
Out of budget anyway.
I looked at a later model Moody 42 once, looked good, tons of room inside. No stowage though. Tanks under the sofas and the cupboards had no depth because they'd been squeezed back to the hull to make it look big inside.

Sea Change

Visit site
If living aboard, consider condensation. A lot of those French boats have a lot of hard surfaces which drip condensation. The foam backed vinyl on Moodys, Westerlys etc don't condensate much at all.
Not expecting that to be a big consideration in the Caribbean!

I'd consider any of the centre cockpit Westerlys or another Moody, the 376 would be a very good boat for your needs.
We viewed a 376... surprised at the minimal stowage compared to the 39 that we eventually bought. Right now I would consider it acceptable but not wouldn't want to go any smaller.

Sea Change

Visit site
What about the Idylle range? I quite like the look of them. Only two cabins in a 44ft boat, surely they must be fairly spacious berths then??

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
What would life actually be like as a full time liveaboard on one of these? We were spoiled on the Moody. Despite being less than 39ft long it had three double cabins, and the aft cabin in particular was generous and comfortable.
Hello,
have owned a Sun Legende 41 for about 20 years, during this period we made two family/singlehanded Atlantic circuits of 3 and 1 year while living aboard.
If you put accomodation so high in your list of priorities, I would not take one, and am sure my wife would agree :)
For the other aspects, I would not ever think about swapping it with other cruising boats of similar age like a Moody for example -sorry-, they are surely excellent but each to his own :)
As usual an owner could talk/write for hours about his boat so I'll stop, just PM if you have specific questions more than happy to reply with plus and minuses :)
Other models you might consider are Voyage 12.50, or I almost swapped my SL with a lifting centerboard version of a Feeling 41 (because of the lifting keel).