€1134 for a skin fitting!!!

Tintin

Visit site
Thinkinhlg about forward looking sonar from Echopilot.

Aluminium Ovni, I don't fancy a plastic thru hull and the bronze would be wrong.

I saw they offered an aluminium 52mm skin fitting.

Emailed and almost choked when they came back with €1134. I queried this cost and they replied that the material and manufacturing cost was expensive.

Now I know a fair bit about metals manufacturing, and it does seem to me that this is basically taking the proverbial.

Norman_E

Visit site
Be careful, aluminium is never pure, its always an alloy. I don't know what particular alloy your hull is made from, but most likely at least 90% aluminium with copper and small percentages of other metals. Different aluminium alloys are used to make plate material from those used to produce bar stock from which a skin fitting could be turned, raising the possibility of electrolytic action between the two. IMHO its safer and a lot cheaper to stick to plastic.

Last edited:

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
+1 for plastic. An aluminium boat needs great care to be taken with anything that might be attached to, or in the proximity of the underwater hull.
There havebeen a great many previous threads on here regarding plastic skinfittings and the consensus has been overwhelmingly positive.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
bog.jpg
Fitted in 1971 and still going strong. I used the bespoke tool kit to service it earlier this year. both were included when I bought the boat :)