£500 fine for flying Cornish etc ensign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colvic Watson

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Whilst Scotland is a "little" country there has never been a Little Scotlander movement

[/ QUOTE ] I suspect there are as many 'little scotlanders' as there are 'little englanders'!

absit_omen

Visit site
If you feel so strongly about it why don't you take it up with your Duke and Duchess? Better still, get out of our economy and go back there and fight your cause.

Keep your houses and keep the English out or sell your houses and let them in - you can't have your cake and eat it.

I have a niece getting married in Cornwall in June (because she attended a wedding there a few years ago and liked it /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif). She is not planning to have a takeaway and a bottle of Tesco wine. More like putting about £20k into your economy by the time the likes of me and dozens of others have trudged unwillingly there and paid excruciatingly high hotel and restaurant bills.

But you don't see that sort of thing do you?

Judders

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Welcome to Cornwall, we hate you grockles but love your money.

[/ QUOTE ]

We've never had the money.

Now anyone want to talk about sailing?

Refueler

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
When was Cornwall a Nation ? I can't find any reference ....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you looked? Have you been to Cornwall?

Anyone who goes to Cornwall and does not spot the difference is a thoroughgoing idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for your kind comment and appraisal of my character. In fact I spent all my cadetship years in Plymouth with frequent near constant foray's across the county line into Cornwall ... I had many friends there who sadly I have lost contact with.
My Grandmother was Cornish in fact on my Fathers side. My Father owned property in Cornwall.

I cannot but help thinking that such rubbish as is spouted about identity in the UK is part of the UK problem. Maybe it should be renamed "Not so United Kingdom" ?

Strange isn't it ... Uk has this terrible habit of apparent self-destruction and then a conflict comes along and united we stand. Falklands - what a sight ---- street parties, suddenly geographical divides forgotten ... UNITED Kingdom for a short while. Didn't take long for rot to set in again...

Sorry I find it sad. Over here the Latvian flag has to be flown by every building by law 5x a year. No other flag allowed. Punishable by on spot fines. Such a conversation as here would never be held and believe it or not Latvia has similar divides of geographic groups claiming Identity. Woe betide any that fly their flag out of context though !!

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
[ QUOTE ]

Big fish in small pond becomes small fish in big pond perhaps?

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You may very well have a point there.

Some months ago in the mess we discussed whether or not Britain join the Euro. Quite an international gathering - Germans, Danes, Dutch, French, British, Spanish and Belgians.

After 2 hours of arguing the sole remaining British argument against joining was: We could never join because that would mean we're just another European country.

Half a century after the end of Empire you would have thought people would have realised that Britain is indeed just another European country - and acted like it.

Judders

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
If you feel so strongly about it why don't you take it up with your Duke and Duchess? Better still, get out of our economy and go back there and fight your cause.

Keep your houses and keep the English out or sell your houses and let them in - you can't have your cake and eat it.

I have a niece getting married in Cornwall in June (because she attended a wedding there a few years ago and liked it /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif). She is not planning to have a takeaway and a bottle of Tesco wine. More like putting about £20k into your economy by the time the likes of me and dozens of others have trudged unwillingly there and paid excruciatingly high hotel and restaurant bills.

But you don't see that sort of thing do you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I see it, tourism is great and In hope the wedding goes well, but you can not suggest that this should be the basis for the Cornish economy. I've set out the reasons why some Cornish are so very bitter, you can either take it or leave it. Campaigning to get a fairer deal for Cornwall economically is far more important to me than constitutional recognition on the part of people hundreds of miles away, but it would be nice. But it wont be acheived via Practical Boat Owner.

Judders

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone who goes to Cornwall and does not spot the difference is a thoroughgoing idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for your kind comment and appraisal of my character. !

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I probably go to far but if you go to Cornwall and don't get the impression fairly early one that this is somewhere with a bit more of an identty than perhaps Dorset then I would question what it is that you are seeing.

I don't think there is any schism between being proud of being British and being irate about ones own identity within that and how this is perceived and scroned upon by others who's understannding of the facts is based on lies.

T

timbartlett

Gentlemen, gentlemen!

This discussion started off with a simple legal question, to which the answer was as black-and white as the cornish ensign itself.

The fact that it has since degenerated into such a bitter argument shows why I, personally, wish that all ensigns could be made illegal: they have an uncanny ability to provoke needless quarrels. And in real life, such squabbles can all to easily erupt into violence.

Bon voyages
Tim
(probably one of few on ybw who has ever voted for Mebyon Kernow)

pikeyrm

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I, personally, wish that all ensigns could be made illegal:

[/ QUOTE ]
why don't people just except the law and be done with it, instead people try to add there own touch, this is why it all goes wrong.
ignorance is no excuse to break/bend the LAW

Refueler

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for your kind comment and appraisal of my character. !

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I probably go to far but if you go to Cornwall and don't get the impression fairly early one that this is somewhere with a bit more of an identty than perhaps Dorset then I would question what it is that you are seeing.

I don't think there is any schism between being proud of being British and being irate about ones own identity within that and how this is perceived and scroned upon by others who's understannding of the facts is based on lies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoever said I do not see or understand differences between peoples ? I am well aware of differences and that is not only Cornwall ... in fact most countries will have their regional characteristics.

theoldplucker

Visit site
However, they are not behind the door when it comes to selling their property (at ridiculous prices) to English City banking second homers. Thus denying their 'Cornish' decendents their birthright.

Or smugly ripping off all the 'grockles' (I think you call them) every summer. Without the 'grockles' you would soon be whingeing even more pathetically.

The dual standards are stultifying.

--------------------

How much cheaper would you like the Cornish to sell their houses to the English ? Considering they have possibly eaned 30% - 40% less wages and probably had to do two or three jobs to survive. Or should they sell to local cheaper? Or would you prefer the the Cornish were banned from selling there houses ?
Your comment does not close an argument - it opens up something quite bizarre !

As for ripping off the Emmets (you refererred to Grockles - a Devonian term - both terms I look upon fondly by the way). Most of the tourist businesses are English owned. The English are being ripped off by their own countrymen ! But with respect they have to make their money in a short season.
Of course we are all ripped off by high car parking charges.

Refueler

Visit site
As my Father was one of these "second home" owners ... in fact he owned a block of them and rented them out to locals who incidently could never afford to buy a house even at heavy discount ...

I can say this : having seen the exodus of young blood from villages to the 'city lights' in search of higher wages and with many they do not have a wish to remain a village person - who is being put out ? Is it that 'English' like my Father were casuing demise of cornish village or the exodus of the village young-bloods themselves ?
If it hadn't been for my Fathers upkeep of those houses - they would have fallen into ruin, 4 families would not have had such roofs over their heads and he always tried to put money into that village - used local labour for any repairs, didn't "import" food or items that he could buy locally. He provided probably more economic support than most of the area.

This sort of argument reminds me of the Welsh incidents "Come home to living fire" ... narrow minded, blinkered and only part facts that suit persons argument.

Judders

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
As my Father was one of these "second home" owners ... in fact he owned a block of them and rented them out to locals who incidently could never afford to buy a house even at heavy discount ...

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not about the activities of individuals such as your father or my granfather, it is about the economic 'strategy' from Westminster. It's not a uniquely Cornish thing of course. I did a lot of my growing up in the Cotswolds which has a lot of the same problems, but not all. Cumbria and North Wales are in a more similiar position. In Wales and Cornwall, of course, people combine their economic anger, based on common sense, with the personal feeling of insult when their identity is denied them, either by individuals on websites (where really it matters little) or in their schools and through the media that they get to pay for. It does actually fuel extremism which is how you end up with nutcases like TSOGD or CLA.

I don't know whether the denial is an English condition or human nature, but certainly the offence that people take when you suggest that Cornwall is not merely an English county never ceases to amaze me. It is of no importance to them, unlike Scotland, the mineral wealth of Cornwall is no longer of any economic importance. The hard and fast refusal to look at the historic evidence fastinates me.

mikemonty

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know whether the denial is an English condition or human nature, but certainly the offence that people take when you suggest that Cornwall is not merely an English county never ceases to amaze me. It is of no importance to them, unlike Scotland, the mineral wealth of Cornwall is no longer of any economic importance. The hard and fast refusal to look at the historic evidence fastinates me.

[/ QUOTE ]

SWEEPING GENERALISATION COMING UP!
My feeling is that the affront that the English display when it is suggested that others do not want to be lumped with them is similar to the bafflement of a habitual bully who discovers that they are not liked by the other boys.

absit_omen

Visit site
Well I am not affronted by people not wishing to be lumped with me.

Go home, go back to your empty tin mines and stale pasties, wear skirts, have relationships with sheep. You can have as many flags as you want. I really do not care.

Build the walls, lets have borders with armed guards, passports, visas. You keep your territory, I'll keep mine.

Hey, guess who will survive.

mikemonty

Visit site
Yeah, the cockroaches.

Guess YOU are flying YOUR true colours.

And as for "going home"... what a crock!
I AM home, where do you think I am /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Drascomber

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
why don't people just except the law and be done with it, instead people try to add there own touch, this is why it all goes wrong.
ignorance is no excuse to break/bend the LAW

[/ QUOTE ]

The answer to your question is simple. Folk have no respect for any law that is not understood and not enforced. It should either be amended and/or enforced.

In the mean time what I learn from the other 116 posts in this thread is that with luck I should be safe from prosecution when flying my St George's flag amongst the Saltires in Scottish waters - if not safe from the natives.

Status
Not open for further replies.