Windvane pilots vs electric autopilots: all you need to know

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Because the top priority most people want from an autopilot is to steer while they are putting the sails up?
Top priority for us is a reliable autopilot that will steer in most states of wind and sea. I don’t go sailing to be tied to the tiller or wheel when on passage.
I’ll try and post a video…

Kelpie

Visit site
Too priority for us is a reliable autopilot that will steer in most states of wind and sea. I don’t go sailing to be tied to the tiller or wheel when on passage.
I’ll try and post a video…
Agreed. Quite often one of us will hand helm whilst we're raising sail, because it tends to be on the way out of a relatively confined space (harbour, anchorage etc)

Minerva

Visit site
Ok. Here’s the Hydrovane. It’s really exciting. (Not) but it’s our sort of sailing.

Davits and a hydrovane?! - now that looks a good set up. I evidently wrongly, assumed they would be either/or not both working together. Does the Hydrovane not mean your dinghy is miles away from the stern of the boat and the dinghy not muck up the wind over with hydrovane wind paddle?

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Davits and a hydrovane?! - now that looks a good set up. I evidently wrongly, assumed they would be either/or not both working together. Does the Hydrovane not mean your dinghy is miles away from the stern of the boat and the dinghy not muck up the wind over with hydrovane wind paddle?
I was worried the dinghy wouldn’t fit any more but it’s fine so far. The dinghy just rests against the vane bracket when hoisted. We haven’t had the hydrovane fitted for very long but the dinghy doesn’t seem to affect its working. I did talk to Hydrovane about the length of the drive shaft (and therefore height of the vane) and they weren’t bothered about the dingy’s affect and so far their assessment is accurate.
Our transom is slightly sloping. I’m at the boat years atm so here’s a picture:
4254F18F-BF31-479A-A40F-7AB70E51D47C.jpeg
Their website shows a similar installation on the main page Hydrovane Self Steering Windvane

Last edited:

Minerva

Visit site
I was worried the dinghy wouldn’t fit any more but it’s fine so far. The dinghy just rests against the vane bracket when hoisted. We haven’t had the hydrovane fitted for very long but the dinghy doesn’t seem to affect its working. I did talk to Hydrovane about the length of the drive shaft (and therefore height of the vane) and they weren’t bothered about the dingy’s affect and so far their assessment is accurate.
Our transom is slightly sloping. I’m at the boat years atm so here’s a picture:
View attachment 117280
Their website shows a similar installation on the main page Hydrovane Self Steering Windvane
Thanks John. That certainly gives me something to chew over.