What's the best design for a throw line.

KAM

Visit site
Just remaking some of the poor quality badly made emergency gear on my boat. What's the best design for a throw line. Two functions. Throw something that floats to someone in the water and throw a line to shore or another vessel. I watched a tree surgeon a couple of weeks ago he had a very light line in a bag and a small weight on the end. By whirling it round in a circle before releasing it went an impressively long way.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
I have a quoit about 20cm diameter with a thin line attached (might be dyneema if one needs significant strength), I reckon it can go 20ish meters. Used a couple of times to help daughters panting on the kayak while unable to approach the stern because of the wind, better than having to weigh anchor in a hurry :)

KAM

Visit site
I have a canoeing one, a weighted bag with 6 mm floating yellow line. I have only ever used it in anger once, in a marina in Spain to pull off a yacht blown sideways on to yachts astern of us. It flew surprisingly well.
That's what started this post. I did a trial throw in the garden with the one off the boat and compared it with the one I have for kayaking. Its made by North Water and affair far better piece of kit. Just started overhauling the rescue sling which is rubbish along with the horseshoe floats where the grab ropes just pull off.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
That's what started this post. I did a trial throw in the garden with the one off the boat and compared it with the one I have for kayaking. Its made by North Water and affair far better piece of kit. Just started overhauling the rescue sling which is rubbish along with the horseshoe floats where the grab ropes just pull off.
From your description the weight sinks once it reaches the water. The point of the weighted bag is that it floats and can be reached by the casualty even if it does not quite reach him.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Practice coiling the rope for throwing underhanded, so that it uncoils in the air. It should be no trouble to throw it 25 feet with accuracy, and 40-60 feet with a little practice. One of the first sailor tricks I taught my daughter.

Otherwise, kayaker throw bags are good.

Plum

Visit site
Those, and other similar makes, are highly recommended and are used by the rescue services. 20m minimum, 25m better length. The types with a very thin line do throw further but then in many cases you will then need to use that to haul a larger diameter line. I have on several occasions used mine to throw to a boat aground on a falling tide so I could instantly use the throwline to tow them off. Mine has just over 1tonne breaking load. Any delay in transfering a stronger line may miss the opportunity. If you throw this type to a person in the water it is much easier for them to see and grab hold of a 10mm line than a 5mm one. If you miss on the first throw this type has enough weight so it can be pulled in, coiled and thrown, you can't do that very well with a 5mm line.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Red Panda

Visit site
I'm a kayaker as well as a sailor, and I've done whitewater rescue training. The beauty of a throw bag is that it needs almost no preparation - you don't need to coil it, it's ready to go (as long as you keep hold of the end!).
If you get the opportunity, some sort of rough water rescue training teaches you a lot, both about how to rescue and how to be rescued.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
This bog standard line in a weighted bag with flotation is the one for me:
Osculati Throw Line 30m
It is important, before commissioning any throw line, to check that it is properly packed. It should not be in a coil, but just stuffed into the bag, so that when thrown, the bag will travel as far as possible without the line tangling. With practice, this line can be thrown the full 28metres of its extent.
N.B. Also check that the line is complete, as there have been instances of lines of the correct length being packed in the bag, (not necessarily this brand), in two or three discontinuous sections.
To avoid UV damage it's better to stow this kind of equipment below when not using the boat, and mount an appropriate length of plastic pipe on the pushpit to encase it when in use.
The pipe can be mounted vertically with a few holes drilled around the circumference at the bottom, through which to tie a network of light line, to both contain the throwbag and allow water to escape.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
MOB, no question, a throw bag is smart.

To a dock or another vessel, I question whether a throw line is better in most cases. You will need to attach another line, which takes longer. On the other hand, learning to throw a 1/2-inch line coil 40-50 feet, with just 15 seconds or so to coil it in your hands, is basic seamanship. It is a skill you need. As soon as they catch the line, it is ready for use. Using a throw bag to get a line to a dock seems like more potencial for tangle. The main advantages are that it takes less skill and has greater range.

Also, most throw bags need to be repacked if you miss the first time, which takes longer than recoiling a line to throw.

Really, two different functions.

KAM

Visit site
Some good info there. Slightly related subject I was just about to buy some sew on reflective tape for the emergency gear I'm working on. As usual there's now a bewildering choice. Has anyone got any reccomendations.

TwoFish

Visit site
Also, most throw bags need to be repacked if you miss the first time, which takes longer than recoiling a line to throw.

Not necessarily, as the hauled in line will be wetted and therefore have enough weight to be quickly coiled and re-thrown.

Daverw

Visit site
We have two 20m throw lines from when I used to kayak, not yet used them in anger from boat to rescue anyone, used them many times white water kayaking though,but used them many times to pass lines ashore. Can be thrown very accurately and repacked quickly for rethrow