VSR..charging both batteries from a CTEK charger..not exactly boaty but...

Matata

Visit site
My lad and I are locked down at home and he's convinced me to kit out his camper van with a leisure battery set up. He has no knowledge about sparks so I want to keep things as simple and safe as possible. Dad (me!) happy to put my hand in my pocket to buy a couple of new batteries for him to get him off to a fresh start. I explained never to run a lead acid down below 50% and where possible leave the whole set up on trickle..hence my question...Ill match the car battery(new) capacity 90amphr to leisure one and fit a VSR. Prob both Yuasa's.If he puts the car battery on trickle charge, when it gets to say 13.5 v (or fully charged) will the relay close and then allow the leisure battery to be charged in the same session? I presume so as its no different than when been charged by the alternator?I am good to him :). Ive put in five new led over head lighs and in total they only draw .3 amp! Ta as ever in these difficult times...nik

PaulRainbow

Visit site
This will all work pretty much as you think. The VSR will close when it senses a voltage greater than its set point, that's usually the voltage from the charger, which doesn't actually mean the battery will be fully charged, although in the real World, that doesn't matter.

I'd suggest a Victron Cyrix 120aVSR. I would also suggest fitting a good quality "smart" charger that has a standby setting (automatic) so if the van is left for an extended time the charger goes to sleep, rather than keeping the batteries on float/trickle. I think some of the Ctek chargers do this, most Victron ones will also do this, check the models and compare prices.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
Alternatively, fit a solar panel with a dual battery controller - I've used Photonic Universe on my motorhome for the last 6 months and this has kept both batteries fully charged and I don't have to keep it plugged in to the power supply.

VicS

Visit site
My lad and I are locked down at home and he's convinced me to kit out his camper van with a leisure battery set up. He has no knowledge about sparks so I want to keep things as simple and safe as possible. Dad (me!) happy to put my hand in my pocket to buy a couple of new batteries for him to get him off to a fresh start. I explained never to run a lead acid down below 50% and where possible leave the whole set up on trickle..hence my question...Ill match the car battery(new) capacity 90amphr to leisure one and fit a VSR. Prob both Yuasa's.If he puts the car battery on trickle charge, when it gets to say 13.5 v (or fully charged) will the relay close and then allow the leisure battery to be charged in the same session? I presume so as its no different than when been charged by the alternator?I am good to him :). Ive put in five new led over head lighs and in total they only draw .3 amp! Ta as ever in these difficult times...nik

Check the spec of the VSR. Some close at around 13.2 V. Some don't close until around 13.7 V.

but I expect when the charger is first switched on it will go through the bulk and absorption stages and the VSR will close

Last edited:

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Alternatively, fit a solar panel with a dual battery controller - I've used Photonic Universe on my motorhome for the last 6 months and this has kept both batteries fully charged and I don't have to keep it plugged in to the power supply.

A solar panel is a good idea, but if all you have is a solar panel and a dual output controller, there is no way to charge the domestic battery from the alternator.

Why not a solar panel and a dual sensing VSR ? This will allow both the solar panel and the alternator to charge both batteries.

Matata

Visit site
connects at 13.7v and disconnects at 12.8v...trying to avoid a wee solar panel to keep Dads cost down! Nik...Thanks for your input lads