Unlimited Greek Transit Log British Flag VAT paid

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Changing the Flag? You have to be a complete idiot to go to the Polish Flag - You have to change your radia lisence, call sign, Find a good insurer as the UK Insurers cannot cover you.

SSR register has talked about a spike in deregistration from SSR - perhaps more people are doing this than we think. So do these guys realise that their insurance is defunct!
Chris if I did change it wouldn't be Polish,
The Greek business don't involve me cos as I said many time before unless there a reductions in fee Greece has lost me but then after 30 plus years of Geek sailing I dont miss it as much as other plus I confident to say we had the best year in Greece re free cruising.

My only concern is how other EU countrys will treat British flag boats, ie if they going to keep stopping asking for passport, Vat and so on , I doubt thats not going to be the case other then maybe Greece .
I have a few option and pants who I have been insured with for 35 years are happy for me to change , I have their ex finance director moored near by .

Saltydog461

Visit site
My agent (sounds rather grand!) in Preveza has just this morning confirmed they will accept my SSR part 3 for UTL, having previously said needed part 1. I am still in UK collating bill of sale continuous chain so I do NOT have the UTL yet, but if true to their word I should hopefully.

At minimum people may want to hang fire or check again before switching part 3 to 1 unneccesarily. Boat Uk flagged, in EU 31/12/20, I'm UK. Boat originally tax paid in EU Germany.

Many thanks to Chris Robb and CA for work they doing here on behalf of all.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
My agent (sounds rather grand!) in Preveza has just this morning confirmed they will accept my SSR part 3 for UTL, having previously said needed part 1. I am still in UK collating bill of sale continuous chain so I do NOT have the UTL yet, but if true to their word I should hopefully.

At minimum people may want to hang fire or check again before switching part 3 to 1 unneccesarily. Boat Uk flagged, in EU 31/12/20, I'm UK. Boat originally tax paid in EU Germany.

Many thanks to Chris Robb and CA for work they doing here on behalf of all.
Tax paid in Germany gives you access, it's just UK vat which doesn't work..... at the moment.

Let's hope we get a positive ruling from the EU soon, but it may be a few weeks yet, there are a lot of brexit issues in the pipeline.

ITH

Winter in Kent, rest of the year on board
Visit site
. . . . . Let's hope we get a positive ruling from the EU soon, but it may be a few weeks yet, there are a lot of brexit issues in the pipeline.

To add to 'complications', the lovely Irene in Moor & Dock has just told me that her efforts (in co-operation with Customs in Leros) to obtain UTLs for UK clients - in advance of their arrival - has been stymied. Apparently thanks to other 'dog in the manger' UK registered owners complaining that ". . . the Customs in Leros pressures them to get a new Transit Log."

So all her hard work and the assistance of Leros Customs is negated, and we will have to suffer the scrum of obtaining individual UTLs when, inevitably, we all apply at once.

Last edited:

Chris_Robb

Visit site
To add to 'complications', the lovely Irene in Moor & Dock has just told me that her efforts (in co-operation with Customs in Leros) to obtain UTLs for UK clients - in advance of their arrival - has been stymied. Apparently thanks to other 'dog in the manger' UK registered owners complaining that ". . . the Customs in Leros pressures them to get a new Transit Log."

So all her hard work and the assistance of Leros Customs is negated, and we will have to suffer the scrum of obtaining individual UTLs when, inevitably, we all apply at once.
Yes - I spoke to Irene - we made a complaint to Customs in Athens that Levkas were makin yachts to take an 18 month TL and not a UTL. But I have kept silent on Leros - heres a customs office doing the right thing for us, and getting the yards to help - ultra sensible - who complained about them - I know not.

Today I received a letter from the head of Customs, saying that they were asking the EU for advice on the matter. This letter has been copied to the EU Complaints team - perhaps we will settle befor ethe EU acts - I hope so.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
I have been asked nicely from the quey owner to leave by the end of the month as all his charter boats will be launched. What the hell to do next with this Travel log nonsense.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
I have been asked nicely from the quey owner to leave by the end of the month as all his charter boats will be launched. What the hell to do next with this Travel log nonsense.
RT, I hope this whole issue will be sorted soon. If it's still in the air, it's better that you just take an 18 month TL and get it up graded later. We have requested that the EU covers the issue of correcting the documentation in issue without charge.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Thanks,,,, Probably just get whats given then leave and throw the thing away .
I think Vic is correct to many problems here in Greece .
RT - The problem with Greece is that it has old shipping laws from 1953 from the days of coasting shipping. There was a point then to this documentation, but now there is no point at all. Most of the issues are created by interpretations by officials doing something that is an utter waste of time and money.

BUT - this is due to change I hope, as all the old shipping laws are going to be totally replaced next year. We have to make sure we are there to make sure our interests are not forgotten - just created myself another job.....Grrrrr SWIMBO will not be pleased

Might even be good enough for Vic to return - never me the young (old?) bugger, but feel that I know him well enough to insult him, from time to time!

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
RT - The problem with Greece is that it has old shipping laws from 1953 from the days of coasting shipping. There was a point then to this documentation, but now there is no point at all. Most of the issues are created by interpretations by officials doing something that is an utter waste of time and money.

BUT - this is due to change I hope, as all the old shipping laws are going to be totally replaced next year. We have to make sure we are there to make sure our interests are not forgotten - just created myself another job.....Grrrrr SWIMBO will not be pleased

Might even be good enough for Vic to return - never me the young (old?) bugger, but feel that I know him well enough to insult him, from time to time!

No fun without a few insults between friends .

I fell foul of Greek law in Kalomata 2001 same time as the aircraft photos .It was to windy to get in to the marina ,so I moved to the main port until the wind dropped.
A village idiot offered me water on the quey I put in a couple of hundred litres , half an hour later was presented with a bill for a commercial ship .if I remember in the low hundreds. Min charge .

Last edited:

Resolution

Visit site
I can take it Chris , :)
I just hope when ever I make comments about the CA you don't take it personally,
I got the highest respect for you .
Vic
Chris is my neighbour and we have been drinking pals for years. I really cannot let you waste your highest respect on a four-fingered W********* owner who holidays in a motor home! Medium respect just perhaps, but certainly not highest.
Peter
(Sits back and waits for counter insults:rolleyes::rolleyes:)

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I know what you mean peter :) you would think all the years he's had a boat he know to keep his fingers way from a windlass .
But Im hopeful one day I will catch up with him and show him how it's done :) .

Razorray

Visit site
what about the old yachts exempt from vat. do the port police require some document to prove exempt.
William this is of course a worry for many of us with pre 1985 boats, I have the original part 1 registration document from 1980 which i hope will suffice, As we can't sail at the moment iv'e not put it to the test yet but i'm hoping the complaint to the eu will get resolve the issue soon & that things will calm down with regard to the unlimited transit log, hopefully customs will then not be too difficult when dealing with older boats, we shall see

Sue Stafford

Visit site
Hi there has there been any further updates yet from the Greek customs re obtaining an unlimited transit log? I'm thinking of using an agent in Greece to apply whilst we still can't travel

Saltydog461

Visit site
Hi there has there been any further updates yet from the Greek customs re obtaining an unlimited transit log? I'm thinking of using an agent in Greece to apply whilst we still can't travel

Sue/Chris:

An update on my UTL saga - see my input above. I'm using an agent in the Preveza area. Customs have been very 'thorough' with their requirements but have today confirmed they will give me a UTL. UK resident, EU VAT paid in 1997, in EU on 31/12/20. I only bought the boat in December so collating the paperwork from previous sales since launch has taken me a while.

However currently they want a Greek residency card or Greek tax number (presumably for their form filling?) My agent said we can go get that when I get there. I think you need an address for that so presumably the agent will help with that too.

I think rules may evolve yet still, Chris would be able to provide the best advice on that. But at 100 euro + VAT I've found it helpful to have someone present my paperwork now giving me time to fill in the odd gaps rather than wait till I get there in June (hopefully).

Good luck.