Tecsew

jaybee63

Visit site
It's a free market after all. I realise value for money takes on a different meaning in boating, however a bimini and stack pack are two items I would not spend £8.5k on.
We have never ever quoted this figure for a Bimini and Stackpack.
I will check what was on the quote on Monday.
However, I do know a Stackpack, Bimini with frame, valise, neck shade panel, helm windows and blind together with a Bimini conversion were quoted for.

So if we take the example where I have posted the cad file for a typical Bimini conversion, there is on average 10 to 12 panels on a conversion as the picture shows.

Each panel has an open end zip on 3 sides, all zips double seen so 4 rows of stitching per zip. In addition to the Sunbrella Plus, there are the window to be sewn into likely 7 of the panels, roll up straps on all window panels, reinforcing sewn into every panel.

So it’s not just a Stack pack and Bimini, and to add the conversion is not just the addition of a few metres of fabric, not when reinforcing is added in, all components, just add up the required quantity of zips.

All I am doing here is just answer some of the most miss truths that have been posted.
They are damaging, and unfair.
We are “not” in the habit of knocking any other company, we all place ourselves in the market to cater for our intended clientele.

“But” what we will do is explain how we do things and what we do different. There are other well respected companies and some compete on price, some on quality or other values.

Here at Tecsew we decided years ago not to make it all about price, if we did that we couldn’t improve products and not look for the quickest, cheapest most cost effective process.

Sunbrella Plus has just been covered by DipperToo

People complain about restitching, we use an anti -wick, U.V stabilised V138 (20 metric) thread and pay more than double what we could for a price based alternative.

we have been looking for a better roll quality window material, trialled samples of many products from different suppliers and imported the product direct from Europe, it’s a dearer product, significantly dearer than the cheapest alternative, but our decision to use the product was not price based.

There is so much more I could add, but the purpose of the post is to show what happens when it’s all about the price and asi to address the 8,5K post.

Last edited:

Vicarage

Visit site
Our little boat came with some Tecsew canvas work, which was nice but pretty terminal.
We got quotes from Tecsew and CJ for replacement and nearly passed out - found a little company called Comfort Afloat in Gosport who came in about half the cost and the quality is as good as the Tecsew stuff it's replacing.
To give balance though, dealing with Comfort Afloat did feel like we'd stepped about 30 years back in time (everything was done over the phone) and took a while to get made.

robertj

Visit site
It
I completely agree. She’s excellent and made our current (but now worn out) stack pack. We’re a bit far away now as Serendipity is now in Gosport and I don’t think she travels this far.
would be cheaper to have a delivery skipper take your boat to plymouth etc. and back for what you where quoted.

robertj

Visit site
S
We have never ever quoted this figure for a Bimini and Stackpack.
I will check what was on the quote on Monday.
However, I do know a Stackpack, Bimini with frame, valise, neck shade panel, helm windows and blind together with a Bimini conversion were quoted for.

So if we take the example where I have posted the cad file for a typical Bimini conversion, there is on average 10 to 12 panels on a conversion as the picture shows.

Each panel has an open end zip on 3 sides, all zips double seen so 4 rows of stitching per zip. In addition to the Sunbrella Plus, there are the window to be sewn into likely 7 of the panels, roll up straps on all window panels, reinforcing sewn into every panel.

So it’s not just a Stack pack and Bimini, and to add the conversion is not just the addition of a few metres of fabric, not when reinforcing is added in, all components, just add up the required quantity of zips.

All I am doing here is just answer some of the most miss truths that have been posted.
They are damaging, and unfair.
We are “not” in the habit of knocking any other company, we all place ourselves in the market to cater for our intended clientele.

“But” what we will do is explain how we do things and what we do different. There are other well respected companies and some compete on price, some on quality or other values.

Here at Tecsew we decided years ago not to make it all about price, if we did that we couldn’t improve products and not look for the quickest, cheapest most cost effective process.

Sunbrella Plus has just been covered by DipperToo

People complain about restitching, we use an anti -wick, U.V stabilised V138 (20 metric) thread and pay more than double what we could for a price based alternative.

we have been looking for a better roll quality window material, trialled samples of many products from different suppliers and imported the product direct from Europe, it’s a dearer product, significantly dearer than the cheapest alternative, but our decision to use the product was not price based.

There is so much more I could add, but the purpose of the post is to show what happens when it’s all about the price and asi to address the 8,5K post.
Ah always another side to the story.