Targa 40 cockpit backrest removal

rlw

Visit site
The sale of my boat fell through so probably going to delay the upgrade for a season. Now considering replacing the cockpit upholstery.
However have looked at some of the fixed backrests in the cockpit I am not sure how they are fixed. Does anyone know if they are glued or have some kind of locking system to remove?
Have tried removing them but am worried to damage something.

Open for suggestions on the material as well. Thinking of Silvertex but not sure from looking online which is the nicest colour. Looking at a sandy beige?

rlw

jrudge

Visit site
Bits of the squadron were Sikad and were basically destroyed on removal just as well that they were being removed covered ! Jimmy did all his so if he is not along on a while send him a pm.

I put blue led strip under the back rest cushions on my t40 and it looked really good.

Cashbuyer

Visit site
The sale of my boat fell through so probably going to delay the upgrade for a season. Now considering replacing the cockpit upholstery.
However have looked at some of the fixed backrests in the cockpit I am not sure how they are fixed. Does anyone know if they are glued or have some kind of locking system to remove?
Have tried removing them but am worried to damage something.

Open for suggestions on the material as well. Thinking of Silvertex but not sure from looking online which is the nicest colour. Looking at a sandy beige?

rlw

Don't do that terrible grey that some manufacturers are fond of. It's very cheerless and cold. Broom springs to mind...

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
Re material I have just done silvertex Modiva beige.

All done by mj who were the oem supplier.

If you do it I would put headrests on the foredeck cushions

Rob, I'll reply fully tomorrow, but two quick points - one, there is no sikaflex involved, and two, MJ were not the OE upholstery supplier for the T40, it was Tockfield.

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
So, removing the cockpit upholstery:
- starting at the helm seat (which is itself just bolted on to the seat runners), the most difficult component to remove is the padded panel on the starboard side, where the vhf and water/holding tank gauges are. Because of the shape of this panel it is through-bolted, and to get to the bolts you have to remove the ceiling over the starboard porthole in the mid cabin (where the curtain tracks are), and then reach right up (it is difficult) to find the five or so m4 or m5 studs. The top one is quite a stretch.
- on the portside seating, opposite the helm, the forward-most backrest pad next to the saloon door just slides upwards and will then come off
- the 'island' backrest between the main cockpit seating and the forward cockpit seating is just a friction fit, lift it up and it'll come off
- the main seating backrests along the port side of the cockpit are held in place with hidden screws located underneath the padded part of the backrest, you have to feel them with your fingers. Once removed, the backrests slide upwards to remove. You'll find a few (obvious) self-tappers that need to be removed where the island backrest has been removed
- the base of these island backrest is bolted into the main moulding, you'll need 450mm extension bar to undo these
- the convertible backrest at the aft end of the cockpit is a u-shaped moulding around the stainless steel rails and has velcro fixing along the bottom edge; just pull this apart and the whole component can then slide upwards and off
- finally there is a very small aft-facing panel at the very back of the cockpit seating, on the starboard side. This is just a friction-fit with four plastic studs, so just carefully lever this off using a plastic trim podger or similar

I think that's it. You may find a bit of silicone sealant (not sika) along the bottom of the backrest moulding, but this should be tiny and shouldn't present a problem in removal.

In terms of replacement fabric, the Silvertex is excellent, I did mine in a mix of titanium and charcoal and I'm really pleased with it.

Finally, I used Tockfield to re-do mine, because they have the Fairline logo heat-brand which is a nice OE touch on the new upholstery.

rlw

Visit site
awsome Jimmy ! Thanks I saw another Targa with a the charcoal online. Looked really good. Can you post or send a pic. Hesitating between something like that or beige.

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
awsome Jimmy ! Thanks I saw another Targa with a the charcoal online. Looked really good. Can you post or send a pic. Hesitating between something like that or beige.

AjJZ64u.jpg

LUNA

Visit site
Re material I have just done silvertex Modiva beige.

All done by mj who were the oem supplier.

If you do it I would put headrests on the foredeck cushions

Hi , we are about to just have our Targa 40 upholstery done in silvertex, its in good condition but i think the white just bit boring and too plain.. we thinking Beige. do you have any pics?

found this on web which we like but think its more grey than the Beige :encouragement:

7ZM9jD4.jpg

Last edited:

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
Hi , we are about to just have our Targa 40 upholstery done in silvertex, its in good condition but i think the white just bit boring and too plain.. we thinking Beige. do you have any pics?

found this on web which we like but think its too grey :encouragement:

View attachment 68731

Jrudge's boat is not a Targa 40, he's slumming it in a Squadron 58 so you may not get a fair comparison... :D