Spent an afternoon in Cannes at the Boat show

prinex

Visit site
Should be renamed plastic show... trend is "house on the water" forget using the boat as a boat. Exception the sailing boats, they still think the owners will actually use the boat. Also different customers, tons of german / swiss / brits at the sailing boats, russian-spoken-only at the motor yachts.

Went aboard a large Ferretti, where is the tender ? "it can be carried on the swim platform". On a 24mt boat. "Space requirements" so no garage, "Design" so god forbid the boat has a crane and resembles anything which has to do with anchoring and motoring somewhere.

Guys at San Lorenzo had their fleet there, pre-vetted potential customers lined up, prices rolling in double digits millions, talks of 14+ boats ordered this year pre-Cannes.

My opinion the market is going towards large villa on land and 12-14 mt open boats for the friends (Like Pardo), or 60ish+ floating flats for the extra-wealthy. Planing motor boats even 33 foot start already at half a mio Euro. Asked Absolute why they dont make smaller boats anymore, answer we cannot even make the large expensive ones fast enough. Demand is simply huge and why bother.

Asked a few broker about the craze on used prices - general advice stay the hell out of it, tons of neglected boats getting a cosmetic refit hitting the market. It is still possible to make a decent deal, brokers call their portfolio first before listing so all the nice one get snapped up, the ones no one wanted or the overpriced crap is what ends on the website. The famous question "why are 20 y/o mobos 300K Euro and plus" - again general advice it makes no economical sense, they see recents (2015+) boats better priced in terms of quality and resell value, the 20 y/o are something that will be of zero value in 10 years and needs at least 100K love to make them usable. So rolling eyes from them.

Oh and all this plastic will hit the berths in the med next 1-2 years so this is going to be interesting.

Peterlewis321

Visit site
Well, that has cheered me up on a grey Saturday morning!!!

Should be renamed plastic show... trend is "house on the water" forget using the boat as a boat. Exception the sailing boats, they still think the owners will actually use the boat. Also different customers, tons of german / swiss / brits at the sailing boats, russian-spoken-only at the motor yachts.

Went aboard a large Ferretti, where is the tender ? "it can be carried on the swim platform". On a 24mt boat. "Space requirements" so no garage, "Design" so god forbid the boat has a crane and resembles anything which has to do with anchoring and motoring somewhere.

Guys at San Lorenzo had their fleet there, pre-vetted potential customers lined up, prices rolling in double digits millions, talks of 14+ boats ordered this year pre-Cannes.

My opinion the market is going towards large villa on land and 12-14 mt open boats for the friends (Like Pardo), or 60ish+ floating flats for the extra-wealthy. Planing motor boats even 33 foot start already at half a mio Euro. Asked Absolute why they dont make smaller boats anymore, answer we cannot even make the large expensive ones fast enough. Demand is simply huge and why bother.

Asked a few broker about the craze on used prices - general advice stay the hell out of it, tons of neglected boats getting a cosmetic refit hitting the market. It is still possible to make a decent deal, brokers call their portfolio first before listing so all the nice one get snapped up, the ones no one wanted or the overpriced crap is what ends on the website. The famous question "why are 20 y/o mobos 300K Euro and plus" - again general advice it makes no economical sense, they see recents (2015+) boats better priced in terms of quality and resell value, the 20 y/o are something that will be of zero value in 10 years and needs at least 100K love to make them usable. So rolling eyes from them.

Oh and all this plastic will hit the berths in the med next 1-2 years so this is going to be interesting.

jointventureII

Visit site
To be honest I wouldn't take Cannes as a particularly good representation of the yachting market. These things are very often an exercise in ego massaging.

That said, the market is mental at the moment. It is quite fun to watch normally very astute business people be totally sold, they turn into little kids in a toyshop.

I'll be at Monaco on a boat next week and I'm dreading it.

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
You really have no idea of the boating market.

Most flybridge boats Ferretti included never have a garage for a tender. The garage was always something sport yachts (easy to do with a the sun-pad) have.
Now some 80-100 ft plus have it.

But that alone tells me your knowledge of what a yacht should be... is nada

Also the brokers comments are a load of crap.
Most new boats will need new engine not because IPS is bad or good, just because you cannot fit 5 or 7 litre engine on a 20 t - 15 meter flybridge boat and think its gonna last long.
And this is what most are doing nowadays.

There was some seaworthy boats. SL most of them are rather good sea-keepers.
The Rizzardi are good and fast boats, they had 2 models Infive and Insix.
Wajer good boat. FG had the Itama 45, and the Pershings, and Ferretti yachts also good sea-boats, even though they are not superior to the mill as they used to be.
The Solaris Power is a good boat as well.
Fairline new F/Line is also not a bad boat. Infact it is the only thing selling for them.
Cayman Yachts had a new F580 Flybridge which should be interesting for a lot of reasons.

Last edited:

Portofino

Visit site
Genoa is more honest show .Wide range of many “ I’ll have one of those “ boats .
Less of the plastic fantastic floating apartments .
Better clientele strolling about , better facilities, more space etc .More interesting city if have to stay .

prinex

Visit site
You really have no idea of the boating market.

.... alone tells me your knowledge of what a yacht should be... is nada

Also the brokers comments are a load of crap.
I did not claim to be an expert, my professional field is it systems not boats. Is just what I took from a afternoon at the boat show, and from the interesting discussions I had with a few people there.
Im still wondering where they are going to put the tender btw.

And why are you so triggered? Try with "its quite normal for boats that size.." instead of "you really have no idea", rambling around like this can give the readers the impression you are insecure. Beside being unneeded.

ari

Visit site
I did not claim to be an expert, my professional field is it systems not boats. Is just what I took from a afternoon at the boat show, and from the interesting discussions I had with a few people there.
Im still wondering where they are going to put the tender btw.

And why are you so triggered? Try with "its quite normal for boats that size.." instead of "you really have no idea", rambling around like this can give the readers the impression you are insecure. Beside being unneeded.

On the bathing platform as per your own suggestion!

He's not 'triggered', he's just absolutely right, incredibly rare to find a garage for a tender on a 24m or less flybridge cruiser. Sportscruisers have them, at the expense of decent crew areas.

As to the house on water comments, boat builders are businesses. If that's what the clients are demanding, that's exactly what they'll build. Wouldn't you?

Reactions: vas

henryf

www.911virgin.com
It’s Cannes. There’s a bit of something for everyone but the emphasis is definitely on the upper end of the market where a million pounds might be a starting point for some extras….

If you have a more modest budget try Southampton which is also running. There a million pounds will buy you a good many of the boats on show which start from around £500 and go up from there…..

I found access easy for the most part with a few outstanding brands, would have to mention Absolute where we got the best rep ever who showed us around over 2 days.

Princess were looking very strong flying the flag for the UK. Didn’t venture onto the Sunseeker stand as they will at Southampton.

Sirena also had so very interesting stuff on offer, all be it sold out for 2022 delivery.

The other interesting find was AST and their rigid Carbon tenders. A really interesting alternative to the traditional inflatable rib solution. Coupled with a circa 10hp engine that features forward and aft movement from the tiller arm a super smart and practice solution. The optional transom wheels were neat.

Henry :)

TonyR123

Visit site
My opinion the market is going towards large villa on land and 12-14 mt open boats for the friends (Like Pardo), or 60ish+ floating flats.

Funny enough one option I am considering is keeping our apartment in Mallorca and getting a day/open boat. Quite like the initial images of the superhawk 55. Although if we get rid of our apartment it will def be a 60ft+ flybridge.

Am hoping to go to Cannes again next year - I do like the Cannes boat show in terms of the choice of boats and lots of brands that dont visit Southampton. As it is Southampton for me this year