Round Britain day 79

Concerto

Visit site
Another short trip under engine to Quoile Yacht Club in Strangford Lough. Moored alongside their pontoon. Only a few members around and later a couple of members boats also came alongside. The second one turned out to be the vice commodore with his Dehler 36CWS. Been a very lazy day, with nothing really to mention.

All the photos are from the drone except one. Whilst using the drone the vice commodore suggested I film a bird that has been roosting on a mast top of a boat that has not been used this year.

Quoile KHXJ1794 1000pix.jpg
The approach from the lough into the Quoile river

Quoile BBSU8082 1000pix.jpg
Turning round to view the Quoile Yacht Club

Quoile VUGI9328 1000pix.jpg
The yacht club pontoon

Quoile POYX5744 1000pix.jpg
A closer view with Concerto closest to the camera and the Dehler across the pontoon

IMG_5903 1000pix.jpg
Looking down from the top of the access ramp

Quoile bird 1.jpg
I have now been informed this is a European Shag

Quoile bird 2.jpg
Sorry to disturb you, but the bird was back a few minutes later

RB Map 22.jpg

For anyone wanting to read the reports from the start, this is the link to first one.
Round Britian day 1

Last edited:

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
I am no bird expert, but it looked to big to be a cormorant. This bird is known to stand with its wings extended like cormorants do. So what I was told it was may be wrong.

I think that it's a European shag. You can see its yellow throat patch.

The Common Cormorant or shag
Lays eggs inside a paper bag.
The reason you will see no doubt
It is to keep the lightning out.
But what these unobservant birds
Have never noticed is that herds
Of wandering bears may come with buns
And steal the bags to hold the crumbs.

Last edited:

Concerto

Visit site
Today I went for a 25 mile bike ride. It certainly was a little warm and I drank lots of fluid. Headed towards Downpatrick and visited 2 places. The Ballynoe Stone Circle dates from the late Neolithic era through the Early Bronze Age, but was discovered in the late 1930's. The second place was Inch Abbey, which is a ruined Cistercian monastery. Some of you may recognise it as a film location used in The Game of Thrones.

The Quoile Yacht Club have been very friendly and there was a large wedding reception (the wedding was yesterday) this afternoon and evening, and I was invited to join the party. In reality I was an invited gatecrasher. It was mainly people from the club, as all members were invited, and some friends of the families. So, I have definitely been "clubbing".

IMG_5914 1000pix.jpg
This is the covered path leading to the Ballynoe Stone Circle

Ballynoe Stone Circle BHXA9595 1000pix.jpg
Drone view of the site

Ballynoe Stone Circle XKCW9617 1000pix.jpg
Overhead view of the stone circle

IMG_5918 1000pix.jpg
Inch Abbey

IMG_5921 1000pix.jpg

Inch Abbey ILQT8480 1000pix.jpg
Drone view of the site

IMG_5929 1000pix.jpg
More boats kept mooring up to the pontoon after this photo was taken

IMG_5927 1000pix.jpg
Part of the wedding party

Beccaferguson

Visit site
Another short trip under engine to Quoile Yacht Club in Strangford Lough. Moored alongside their pontoon. Only a few members around and later a couple of members boats also came alongside. The second one turned out to be the vice commodore with his Dehler 36CWS. Been a very lazy day, with nothing really to mention.

All the photos are from the drone except one. Whilst using the drone the vice commodore suggested I film a bird that has been roosting on a mast top of a boat that has not been used this year.

View attachment 140690

View attachment 140689

View attachment 140692
The yacht club pontoon

View attachment 140691
A closer view with Concerto closest to the camera and the Dehler across the pontoon

View attachment 140693

View attachment 140694

View attachment 140696

View attachment 140697

For anyone wanting to read the reports from the start, this is the link to first one.
Round Britian day 1

View attachment 140690

View attachment 140689

View attachment 140692
The yacht club pontoon

View attachment 140691

View attachment 140693

View attachment 140694

View attachment 140696

View attachment 140697

Round Britian day 1
great photos, glad to see u made it to inch abbey! Enjoy the rest of ur travels

ashtead

Visit site
Amazing how green it is - lovely photos of abbey by drone - saw someone flying a drone from top of St Helens on the iow fort yesterday which must have had some great views.

Cantata

Visit site
Looks as though you're having a great time. Laughed at your 'gatecrashing a wedding' story, same happened to us on one trip through Ireland heading for a dinghy meeting - we stopped at a hotel for a short break and got sucked into a wedding as soon as we stepped through the door! So hospitable over there.