Raw water cooling reverse flush.

jamescf

Visit site
Hi Has anyone any experience of reverse flushing the raw water (salt water) cooling system on their VP KAD42 or any other engines. Thanks

Scubadoo

Visit site
Water alone is unlikely to have any affect on the salt and other mineral deposits. Did mine (TAMD42) by pumping Rydlyme through it for 3 hours.

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk
It does have some affect as I did that earlier this year as I couldn't get hold of the rydlyme stuff, the engine temp dropped by about 2c, not much but did help. Obviously best to do it with Rydlyme for best results.

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
Water alone is unlikely to have any affect on the salt and other mineral deposits. Did mine (TAMD42) by pumping Rydlyme through it for 3 hours.

Presumably you took the seawater pipe off the exhaust elbow to return the Rydlyme to a container? Also presumably the exhaust doesn’t overheat?

Just found the method online, to use a separate pump to circulate the mix.

Last edited:

Plum

Visit site
Presumably you took the seawater pipe off the exhaust elbow to return the Rydlyme to a container? Also presumably the exhaust doesn’t overheat?

Just found the method online, to use a separate pump to circulate the mix.
Here is a video of my setup 20200827_102120_1.mp4
Remove the impeller and put the cover back on.
I used a 20mm port bilge pump same as this Whale Orca Bilge Pump | Force 4 Chandlery
Initially pump through fresh water with the output going overboard so you start with no salt water.
Then add your 50:50 mix of Rydlyme to the reservoir and pump for 3 hours.

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
Here is a video of my setup 20200827_102120_1.mp4
Remove the impeller and put the cover back on.
I used a 20mm port bilge pump same as this Whale Orca Bilge Pump | Force 4 Chandlery
Initially pump through fresh water with the output going overboard so you start with no salt water.
Then add your 50:50 mix of Rydlyme to the reservoir and pump for 3 hours.

Nice set up, thanks (y) First thing I do when the boat comes out is flush for an hour with fresh water so no salt left in the system.

Pleinmont

Visit site
This is useful stuff - I keep meaning to flush and clean my TAMD41P but wasn't entirely sure how to tackle it. Much clearer with the videos!

What size battery do you use for the little pumps to run for 3hrs or have you wired up a cig lighter plug/shorepower adapter?

Scubadoo

Visit site
This is useful stuff - I keep meaning to flush and clean my TAMD41P but wasn't entirely sure how to tackle it. Much clearer with the videos!

What size battery do you use for the little pumps to run for 3hrs or have you wired up a cig lighter plug/shorepower adapter?
Doing mine today, I use a ctek battery charger (because I have one) set to 12v power supply mode, or simply use crocodile clips to the boat battery with a fuse inline and at the same time switch on your battery charger, my pump is rated 2.5amps (not much of a drain for 3hrs).

paradave

Visit site
Really useful thread, thanks so much for the video.
I have bought 5l of rydlyme ready to make a start on my tamd41p - anyone know which hose set up sizes I might need to go from garden hose? Many thanks.

alt

Visit site
Yep, it takes that long for the engine to get to temperature at 1000rpm then I drain the engine oil.
Change the oil after going for a good run. I did a 30 mile run (bringing the boat to winter storage) and used an electric pump (into a 20l drum) - made it a doddle!!

alt

Visit site
Isn't that a bit risky leaving some fresh water in the heat exchangers over winter? Or do you rely on an enginebay heater?

I presume once they flush with fresh water, everything is then drained?

I'm on fresh water so when the boat comes out of the water it's a case of draining everything. I also have 2 x tube heaters in the engine bay set to come on at 5 degrees to keep everything nice and try for the winter. Between those, a mini oil-filled rad and dehumidifier in the main cabin I burn approx 200 euro of electricity over the winter. Worth every penny!