Racing waterproof trousers

markhomer

Visit site
Looking for a pair of Good waterproof trousers for racing , but no one seems to make them anymore , just for weds night racing , i had a pair of gill race but they quickly de laminated , and don’t seem to make them anymore , i have various salopettes for longer sailing ( IV a long back and have to get oversized , which end up bulky ) .

Any ideas ?

flaming

Visit site
Looking for a pair of Good waterproof trousers for racing , but no one seems to make them anymore , just for weds night racing , i had a pair of gill race but they quickly de laminated , and don’t seem to make them anymore , i have various salopettes for longer sailing ( IV a long back and have to get oversized , which end up bulky ) .

Any ideas ?

Confused as to you saying nobody makes these any more... Most of the big names do. Here is Musto's for example.

https://www.musto.com/en_GB/br1-hi-...d=mens-trousers-shorts-sailing#sz=12&start=25

markhomer

Visit site
I said seem , wasn’t sure I’d br 1 were up to much ,ive seen others at this level when higher end were produced befoe if any one has experience of these I would be interested to here and give a go .

Anyone have any experience of the musty br1 high backs as above , only reviews say odd fit , very long .

Gill os 3 race say water repellant (like most others ) not waterproof , anyone experience of these , unfortunately my weds night racer deck design holds a nice puddle for helm to sit in

Last edited:

markhomer

Visit site
Urricanejek , Do you ? , proper waterproof is what I’m looking for , at 6 ft 2 and 118 kgs however I don’t want to look like a ballerina hippotamus !

Last edited:

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
I was going to recommend the Gill KB1 Racers, but see they've been replaced by the Race Fusion system. They look much the same, but unless it's a caption error I wouldn't be paying £300 for them. Ours were more like £68. We sail a very wet speedboat and they've been just the job.

I see that Marinesuperstore are still selling them. https://www.marinesuperstore.com/clothing-technical/trousers/gill-kb1-racer-trousers

markhomer

Visit site
Unfortunately they are salopettes I’m looking for trousers, I had the trouser version of these they were great untill they de laminated and leaked like sieves ,gill couldn’t replace as they didn’t make any more .

flaming

Visit site
I said seem , wasn’t sure I’d br 1 were up to much ,ive seen others at this level when higher end were produced befoe if any one has experience of these I would be interested to here and give a go .

Anyone have any experience of the musty br1 high backs as above , only reviews say odd fit , very long .

Gill os 3 race say water repellant (like most others ) not waterproof , anyone experience of these , unfortunately my weds night racer deck design holds a nice puddle for helm to sit in

BR1 is waterproof and breathable, just not GoreTex like the MPX/HPX kit. I have a BR1 jacket that I use for racing inshore when I'm not expecting rain or buckets of water over the deck. Still waterpoof after 3 years. I don't have the BR1 trousers though.

What I actually use in your situation is the MPX waterproof shorts worn over thermal leggings.
https://www.musto.com/en_GB/mpx-gor...=BL&cgid=mens-trousers-shorts-sailing#start=1

Has the advantage that when it's warmer I can just wear the shorts, and still don't get a wet backside from sitting in a puddle.

markhomer

Visit site
Thanks all , plumped for asking xmas fairy for br1s (Hobson choice ) ,before Black Friday ran out . Tried various outdoor breeks but puddle was a step,too far , (my side decks have a sense of humour )

savageseadog

Visit site
On a very light weather race we were passed by a pair of waterproof trousers that had fallen off one of the other boats.

markhomer

Visit site
Can beat that , doing a regatta on a yat , the foredeck crew lost a shoe over the side , in a fit of rage he threw the other over the side too .
Imagine our amusement when we passed the first shoe the next day !! Foredeck fella near spontaneously combusted with rage only adding to our mirth :)

Birdseye

Visit site

Any ideas ?

No. In my experience they are all built in with a leak failure point in the crutch!:mad: I seem to go through 3 pairs of pants to every jacket and they all leak just there..

Dutch01527

Visit site
I stumbled across a chandler in the USA who was having a massive clearance sale and I bought three pairs of slightly different Henry Lloyd “professional” sailing trousers with about 90% discount.

They are very well made. big, flexible and very waterproof. Makes me think that the years of wearing full salopettes every time there was a bit of drizzle was the sailing equivalent of putting on full lycra to cycle to the local pub - more about image than necessity. Trousers are much more convenient and appropriate for 95% of real world conditions.