Quicksilver 855

Jbobchordie

Visit site
Hi All,

I am new to the forum and just looking for a place to ask questions (maybe one day answer a few) and get some advice.

I am just about to purchase a Quicksilver 855. It will be my first boat and I will be taking a number of course pre and post picking it up. I am now semi-retired so looking for something for the family but something will also let me go fishing which is my main passion. Discounted the Pilothouse 755 due to wanting to use it for possibly France, channel islands etc with the family not to mention all along the south coast. Will berth it in Portland Marina where we have a house literally on the Marina doorstep but will leave it in water for extended periods as we live just outside London. It will be dry docked in winter.

Just wonder if anyone had one, been on one or had any advice. I am looking to go for a single Verado 300 which on this boat gives 369Km cruise range. Cruise speed 29knots and top speed 37knots. Still debating twin versus this single but I have been advised to go single for maintenance, fuel economy, speed, handling, fist boat etc. Twins have same range (2 x 115hp) but a lot less speed.

Anyone got an opinion or advice on this let me know. I had looked at the Merry Fisher 855 but this is very similar, same layouts ..maybe a better deal...

Many Thanks

annageek

Visit site
I am looking to go for a single Verado 300 which on this boat gives 369Km cruise range. Cruise speed 29knots and top speed 37knots

Really? Where did you get those range and speed figures from. I could very well be wrong, but they seem a bit high to me?

Sorry... no advice to give.

BoatShowAvenue

www.boatshowavenue.com
As you described your needs, i think yours is an excellent choice, i see that you are very familiar on how to take care of your boat on different seasons. I think that it's a very nice boat to go fishing and sailing with your family.

Jbobchordie

Visit site
Hi Annageek,

Thats no problem. Gave me a fright then ! I have gone for the single engine verado 300hp installation as I think this is the way to go for what I need. Time will tell. Can only read so much arguing! It hopefully will serve my needs.

Ripster

Visit site
Though I am a Raggie now, I started in MOBO's and had a couple of Jeanneau's including a Merryfisher. IMO the MF's are a superior build and finish to the QS's, or they were when I was interested a few years back. If I were buying and could get the right deal, the MF would be my choice. In terms of single vs twin - I would always go for twin if poss (you always have a spare then!) Otherwise, you'll want to carry a 10/15hp OB wing engine just in case of trouble. I am in Portland Marina too for this season on J pontoon. Though at the mo I am out the car park on stilts!

Jbobchordie

Visit site
Thanks Ripster.

Appreciate the advice although I have already pushed the button now. I will have to find out and see (presuming I see a MF to measure it against) Many Thanks for the reply.

Ripster

Visit site
Thanks Ripster.

Appreciate the advice although I have already pushed the button now. I will have to find out and see (presuming I see a MF to measure it against) Many Thanks for the reply.

No probs. The QS will no doubt be a fantastic boat and will be great fun, otherwise they wouldn't sell any. In any case its only my limited opinion!! Perhaps I'll see you down there when it arrives, be interested to have nosey round :)

peterjaw

Visit site
Hi All,

I am new to the forum and just looking for a place to ask questions (maybe one day answer a few) and get some advice.

I am just about to purchase a Quicksilver 855. It will be my first boat and I will be taking a number of course pre and post picking it up. I am now semi-retired so looking for something for the family but something will also let me go fishing which is my main passion. Discounted the Pilothouse 755 due to wanting to use it for possibly France, channel islands etc with the family not to mention all along the south coast. Will berth it in Portland Marina where we have a house literally on the Marina doorstep but will leave it in water for extended periods as we live just outside London. It will be dry docked in winter.

Just wonder if anyone had one, been on one or had any advice. I am looking to go for a single Verado 300 which on this boat gives 369Km cruise range. Cruise speed 29knots and top speed 37knots. Still debating twin versus this single but I have been advised to go single for maintenance, fuel economy, speed, handling, fist boat etc. Twins have same range (2 x 115hp) but a lot less speed.

Anyone got an opinion or advice on this let me know. I had looked at the Merry Fisher 855 but this is very similar, same layouts ..maybe a better deal...

Many Thanks

Hi Jbobchordie,
I am a new boater as you were 3 years ago. I would like to hear your opinion about
the Quicksilver 855 with single Verado 300 HP? How do you satisfy with the combination?

On the other hand, I tend to buy Quicksilver but still wonder if I should go for Merry Fisher.
From the standing point of budget, Quicksilver is a better choice for me; however, I would like
to make a decision with any regret in the "near" future. Since you have has Quicksilver 855 for almost 3 years, will you still recommend this boat to a new boater like me?

I have very similar background and needs as you, so I think your opinion is very important
and true to me.

Thank you very much for any comment and/or advice.

Bouba

Visit site
Hi Jbobchordie,
I am a new boater as you were 3 years ago. I would like to hear your opinion about
the Quicksilver 855 with single Verado 300 HP? How do you satisfy with the combination?

On the other hand, I tend to buy Quicksilver but still wonder if I should go for Merry Fisher.
From the standing point of budget, Quicksilver is a better choice for me; however, I would like
to make a decision with any regret in the "near" future. Since you have has Quicksilver 855 for almost 3 years, will you still recommend this boat to a new boater like me?

I have very similar background and needs as you, so I think your opinion is very important
and true to me.

Thank you very much for any comment and/or advice.
As you don’t seem to be getting a reply, I thought I’d give you my opinion and also bump this thread back to the top.
I almost bought a Quicksilver 855 when they first came out, it was at a boat show and I was looking to upgrade from a Barracuda 7. First impression was it is a great boat, then came the MF855, and later the MF895. The QS855 and MF855 are very popular here (haven’t seen a MF895 outside of a boat show, nice boat by the way). And, dare I say it, the owners appear to be a different breed, there is almost always one out and about no matter the conditions and they also seem to live on their boats a lot more! I think it’s because they recently graduated from smaller MFs and QS and revel in the extra space and sea worthiness.
If it was me I would go for the twin motors, reversing is straighter and maneuvering the stern is easier. But most of all for the redundancy, Taiwan has busy shipping lanes and a massive fishing fleet, not a good place to break down, I would imagine. Commercial boats never give the impression that they will go around you. In my case l liked the QS855 more because you could have bigger engines and, at the time, I wanted joystick control and the smallest outboards with it would be a pair of 250 Mercury engines.

peterjaw

Visit site
As you don’t seem to be getting a reply, I thought I’d give you my opinion and also bump this thread back to the top.
I almost bought a Quicksilver 855 when they first came out, it was at a boat show and I was looking to upgrade from a Barracuda 7. First impression was it is a great boat, then came the MF855, and later the MF895. The QS855 and MF855 are very popular here (haven’t seen a MF895 outside of a boat show, nice boat by the way). And, dare I say it, the owners appear to be a different breed, there is almost always one out and about no matter the conditions and they also seem to live on their boats a lot more! I think it’s because they recently graduated from smaller MFs and QS and revel in the extra space and sea worthiness.
If it was me I would go for the twin motors, reversing is straighter and maneuvering the stern is easier. But most of all for the redundancy, Taiwan has busy shipping lanes and a massive fishing fleet, not a good place to break down, I would imagine. Commercial boats never give the impression that they will go around you. In my case l liked the QS855 more because you could have bigger engines and, at the time, I wanted joystick control and the smallest outboards with it would be a pair of 250 Mercury engines.

Thank you very much for sharing your comments, Bouba.

In Taiwan, MF895 is far more expensive than QC855 (65% more). I think it is due to the Taiwan dealer's policy. Nevertheless, the dealer
has the right to make their price tag, but I am the one who decide to buy it or not.

As regarding to the sea environment around Taiwan, you are exactly right about this. We have countless fishing boats/ships within 30 nm
from the coast so there is almost no chance for boaters to live aboard except in the berth marina. I will consider your suggestion about
twin engines.

In the first paragraph, you said "... almost bought a Quicksilver 855 ...", does this mean that you did not buy the QS855? May I ask what is
the reason behind? or which one did you get then?

Bouba

Visit site
My wife reminded me why we were looking for an upgrade, I wanted a boat big enough for all our water toys. I am not a fisherman and here in the South of France it’s all about playing on the water. I have a doggydock (which is easier to use on a full width swim platform, so that meant inboard motor) my wife has a 12 foot Hobie Mirage board (which is heavy) and I wanted a proper rib as a tender not just an inflatable. The smallest boat with a dedicated place for a tender and a crane to launch things is the Beneteau Swift Trawler 34, so we got one.

peterjaw

Visit site
My wife reminded me why we were looking for an upgrade, I wanted a boat big enough for all our water toys. I am not a fisherman and here in the South of France it’s all about playing on the water. I have a doggydock (which is easier to use on a full width swim platform, so that meant inboard motor) my wife has a 12 foot Hobie Mirage board (which is heavy) and I wanted a proper rib as a tender not just an inflatable. The smallest boat with a dedicated place for a tender and a crane to launch things is the Beneteau Swift Trawler 34, so we got one.
Thank you very much , Bouba.

So it's all about size and space, nothing wrong with the quality. This is a good information
to me.

Bouba

Visit site
Thank you very much , Bouba.

So it's all about size and space, nothing wrong with the quality. This is a good information
to me.
Yes, i don’t think you should have a problem with quality. Even if you hear of a bad one it may just be that individual boat and not all of them. But at the price you must think of them as Fords and not Mercedes.
The only thing that will spoil your enjoyment is if the engine is unreliable (unlikely) or the dealer lets you down (more common).
Is this your first boat?

peterjaw

Visit site
Yes, i don’t think you should have a problem with quality. Even if you hear of a bad one it may just be that individual boat and not all of them. But at the price you must think of them as Fords and not Mercedes.
The only thing that will spoil your enjoyment is if the engine is unreliable (unlikely) or the dealer lets you down (more common).
Is this your first boat?
Hi Bouba,
Yes, this is my first boat.

In Taiwan, we have no many choices because boating is not popular here.
Boat dealers usually import some super expensive yachts or very cheap ones, for those in
the middle, such as Quicksilver and Merry Fisher, are rare.

However, we have a lot workshops for fishing boats and they are familier with outboard
motors from Yamaha, Mercury...etc. So I think the maintainence for motor is OK. As
regarding to the Taiwan Quciksilver dealer, hope I won't need any service from them.

By the way, comparing with Quicksilver, do you think Merry Fisher is "mercedes" if
Quicksilver is "ford"? If you don't think Merry Fisher is that good, then wich car maker
could it refer to?

Last edited:

Bouba

Visit site
Hi Bouba,
Yes, this is my first boat.

In Taiwan, we have no many choices because boating is not popular here.
Boat dealers usually import some super expensive yachts or very cheap ones, for those in
the middle, such as Quicksilver and Merry Fisher, are rare.

However, we have a lot workshops for fishing boats and they are familier with outboard
motors from Yamaha, Mercury...etc. So I think the maintainence for motor is OK. As
regarding to the Taiwan Quciksilver dealer, hope I won't need any service from them.

By the way, comparing with Quicksilver, do you think Merry Fisher is "mercedes" if
Quicksilver is "ford"? If you don't think Merry Fisher is that good, then wich car maker
could it refer to?
No, the Merry Fisher is also Ford. The Quicksilver is probably cheaper because its American. Over here I think that quality and price they are on a par, but exchange rates may affect pricing.
The accepted wisdom on the forum is that your first boat is a mistake and your second boat will be the right one for you. I don’t think it’s quite true because no matter what you will have a lot of fun with it. But your boat (no matter if 1st, 2nd, 3rd......) is a proving ground for your next one. My boat has solved all the problems with the last one, and I love it, but I think all my boating needs could be found on a fifty footer, and like any addiction so it goes on.
I think the boat you have in mind is a great choice and should be easy to sell on when the time comes.
How experienced are you boaty wise? If not you have 9 months to get tuition, hire a boat or find a friend with one. Don’t make the first time you stand in front of the throttle of your new boat the most terrifying time of your life:)

peterjaw

Visit site
How experienced are you boaty wise? If not you have 9 months to get tuition, hire a boat or find a friend with one. Don’t make the first time you stand in front of the throttle of your new boat the most terrifying time of your life:)

Hi Bouba,
My experience is limited. In Taiwan, we need to get permit (licence) before driving a motot boat, just like driving a car.
We have a kind of short term school which provides all necessary training and tuition for passing the test. I had about 20
hours experience of driving a 35-feet power boat, mostly in lake area and 1 hour on open sea. All my experience was in
very good weather condition. (The coach would not let us go if the weather is not good enough.)

As you know, to pass the test is one thing, the world after getting the permit (licence) is a real challenge. During training
period, it does not matter if I did anything wrong, even damage the boat, the training school would fix it; but now I am going
to drive myown boat and all the risks and expenses are on me.

There is a Taiwanese saying, "there is always a "first-time" in your life".

peterjaw

Visit site
I think the boat you have in mind is a great choice and should be easy to sell on when the time comes.

Hi Bouba,
I just saw your another reply for "handling the single shaft".

When I had the training courses, I drove a single shaft boat. So my question is just opposite,

"what is the difference between handling a single shaft and a outboard?"