Project OBD!!!!!!! ( Norman 32 refurb )

waynes world

Visit site
Now then now then, more done.

For some time i have been debating with myself on what to do about the top screen and if to make it higher. The bridge heights i will be subject to around around 7 foot, so i need to keep the air draught down below that. I didnt want a folding screen but a sit happens its safer to to. Therefore next job i can sort of do is that.

Oh and reason for the screen heightening is the windows are a bit small for good visibility. Here i get another 75mm/3inch in height of the top screen windows.

Again using foam boards to get a mould done, my last good size bits aswell.

Where to stick it MMmm that be reat

20200411-125535.jpg

20200412-131338.jpg

And a cut then sans back to shape

20200412-135703-2.jpg

I needed something ti help form the side lifts on the screen and had nothing left, no boards that are good enough.

AAhhhh brain wave :) :)

windows are flat :)

Now if you intend to do this make sure if its not on your workshop and the house windows ensure the tuther half is out for an hour or so, or face the wrath of the gods ha ha

20200410-143354.jpg

20200410-162154.jpg

Oh yes use release agent of sorts just incase ;) and remove carefully ;)

20200410-182444-1.jpg

And there we have the top screen in new height form.

20200412-170426.jpg

20200412-170333.jpg

Again, this is not fettled properly yet as it needs to be faired up and the inner side bonding in to make look good.

I am ordering hinges for the folding part. And i will show that next time where i am going to cut it and how i will have it folding. but it will have the side fold down to the side and top screen just fold down backwards. Still a lot to do on it but loads of time.

These are the heights now

AIR-DRAUGHT.jpg

For tomorrow i have been finalising the rear cabins superstructure for the cut n shut.

I have been working on a few ways to go about this. Now this is where i hope folk actually rear what i am typing.

First i was looking at just cutting the roof section all around about 3 inch /75mm down and raising the roof that way, Although that way it will be alot more work with all the profiles in the rear door area.

So thought on cutting the shell at the back of the cockpit and raising the whole cabin at the gunnel by the 150mm / 6inch i want. Then though you cant see out of the windows due to the window lower edge also going up and dont want to lower it, well cant do as to close to the gunnel base..

SSooo

This is the outcome. this gives the windows the original height from the gunnel and can also get higher/deeper windows now. And the rear deck which is not level will be higher and therefore the 3-4 inch high engine lid ( for engine clearance ) that is the rear deck floor i can make level now. instead of a gap all the way around.

CUT.jpg

Still going to think on this cut tonight as if you dont go through it all you can then further down the project you may find something that is not doable or it complicates matter when its to late to go back.

That is what i have been doing for a long time now, thinking ahead ;)

Captain Faffer :)

waynes world

Visit site
looking good CaptainF - thanks for posting. Are you still planning on making the boat longer?

Oh yes, its that what lead to all this :)

I have decided....i think, on how i am going about it and will be doing it tomorrow, well the beginings of it.

The rear section you see above will be moved back to the new stern section then fill in the gap in the middle :)

waynes world

Visit site
Yesterday was the day for serious plastic surgery, as there was nothing else to do i cracked on with what i can again.

As some may of seen i marked up the cut a few times and undecided how i wanted to go about it, This is not one of them things you can jump in straight away.

Few reason i went with this cut.

I can keep the height of the lower window edge so i can see out the windows when seated, if i did the lift all around the gunnel which would of been easier the i wouldnt of been able to see out due to the 150mm lift.

I can have more room under the rear deck for the engine, the deck/engine lid is raised at the minute by 100mm to clear the engine this way i can now have a level rear deck.

And to slice off just the roof at the top and lift it would of been a pain with little gain ( still have a low rear deck ) as there are a lot of profiles on the rear bulkhead to get around to section back in.

Always a method to my madness :)

Front section that will be lifted first to come off.

Rear-lift-45-Moment.jpg

rear-lift-cutting-Moment.jpg

rear-lift-cutting-Moment-2.jpg

Last-cut-Moment.jpg

LID-OFF-Moment.jpg

LID-OFF-Moment-2.jpg

LID-OFF-Moment-4.jpg

No biggy that bit, its whats to come :)

As there are many screws from original manufacturing to new strakes screwed on over the years, all these had seized in so need cutting out. only one way to do so unless you have hours on end to waste drilling them out and using pliers etc. just get in with a cutting disc in the grinder. Will have new gunnel edge anyway made as part of the lift.

Rear-lift3-Moment.jpg

On the inner side of the gunnel edge most boats have the superstructure bonded to the hull section. I was expecting ths to be a reat pain in the rear but not that bad, all of 5 mins cutting the join..

Rear-lift-off-1-Moment-1.jpg

This has a small timber batten in

rear-lift6-Moment.jpg

Then ensure it is separated from the hull as dont want to lift the while boat and lift away.

Gantry in place

I had to do it at 45 deg first as i couldnt get in to cut the transom bonded edge,

lifting-it-Moment-2.jpg

Lifted-off-4-Moment-4.jpg

Lifted-off-4-Moment-5.jpg

And all off, not bad for a few hours work :)

Lifted-off-4-Moment-3.jpg

DONE-LIFT-Moment.jpg

So all to do now is stick it back together , i have materials on its way, still cant get any timber needed to brace it but once i get the front section back in place and then if i can find some PIR sheets i can make the bulkheads.

Time to clean it all up, add/laminate the 150mm / 6inch to the roof section and the gunnel edge of the stern section. Lots to do now but little to show due to this dam lock down, got to watch the pennies now so cant spend on the boat to much until we know whats going on. Shame as next is to make the extension mould and we have such good weather for it.

Captain faffer

You Tube vid

Captain Faffer

waynes world

Visit site
:) Brilliant. I think there may be a wee bit more to do.

And here is a bit more done :)

So the rear section has been butchered so i cant di anything on that yet for a while so i may aswell crack on with the front cabin. Being fitting new bulkheads and the Heads room walls.

I had to go out to get supplies for work so while out i got some for my own boat. MMMMmmmm why have the letters gone chunky ??

Anyway i can see them better now ha ha.

Well i found this place pretty local as i didnt want to go far from home even for work and glad i searched as i found these PIR foam at bargain price 1/4 of what i usually pay. Factory seconds though but no massive damage to them. 25mm /1inch thick for the Bulkheads and walls and 60mm imperial, not a clue @vas sorry lol but near 3 inch.

The 60mm is for making the hardtop canopy later on in the build.

All walls, and Bulkheads will will laminated in place to a thickness of around 6mm - 7mm ( 1/4 inch ) either side with 600grm CSM and 300grm Woven.

Getting-ready-for-e-bulkheads-Moment.jpg

So much of the itchy n scratchy going on here :( ground/cleaned all back.

I ddi start with 1500 / 6 inch polisher with 60G but these are quicker

20200422-111645-Moment.jpg

20200422-111645-Moment-2.jpg

20200423-101241-Moment-3.jpg

I used timber to keep the sheets straight as possible.

20200423-101241-Moment.jpg

20200422-163007.jpg

The deck height here in the door way is going to now be dropped as the step down will be in the deck not in the cabin. It will interfer with the Heads door opening.

20200423-110046-Moment-2.jpg

Under the deck will be the FW tank, of around 650 litres. I am debating if to have the batteries under there aswell, or above deck in a locker to one side.

And this is as far as i got as ran out of materials and as i was off on a job at last :) and as i was getting them materials i got some more in, so again reducing my travel with the darm lock down.

I managed to get one side of the Heads done but that was it and now .......

20200423-142801-Moment.jpg

20200423-142801-Moment-6.jpg

20200423-142801-Moment-3.jpg

As the weather has changed its mind as a week or so of rain forcast i have just ordered a cover fo the boat :) i am not letting the weather put a damper ( so to speak ) on this project like my last

401-DFB2-F-C1-F6-4979-A235-45-FB6-A0036-F6-large.jpg

20 foot x 12 foot or 6.1m x 3.7m. I will need to sit in on a raised bed of some sort as its 600mm low.

Hey i mite just spray paint the boat now, in two halves but still be better than brush it :)

vas

Visit site
good going W!

out of curiosity, how much does the hull flex now that you've ripped it all off? I mean you're getting bulkheads ready, are you sure everything is square and wont produce a warped hull overall?
I'm sure you wont, so the question is mainly how have you levelled and supported the hull before gutting it!

still owe you the pic, I'm halfway there but I do get distracted a lot and when I'm back home in the evening I don't have the patience to do it, nor a steady enough hand :(

V.

waynes world

Visit site
I measured twice, third no ten times logged them all and checked levels chocked it all up and triple checked the lot again . etc etc. I know its not the ideal way to go but when you need to do things and cant get materials. Its all int he shape to within a few mm before surgery ;)
The rear cabin is well out but i will reset it inplace going from sizes i have here before i fit the bulkhead. It hasnt moved as much as you would of thought, i am surprised myself. the hull has pushed out maybe 25mm where the top has been put back on and just needs pulling back in just under the gunnel .

As said no rush kida on the pic, if your struggling with things dont worry about it now, be reat ;) . I have had it going through my head since and i can see it now. reckon it will look good.

sogood

Visit site
Hey Wayne, Enjoying the progress. I'm still pottering away on my "cosmetic" makeover and don't envy you all that cutting, gutting and grinding. But at least its good to have the boat at home and have things to do during this lockdown. I'd be climbing the walls if I didn't have things to occupy myself with. Worse still would be to have the boat locked up in some marina or boatyard.
Stay safe and well and keep up the great work.

waynes world

Visit site

waynes world

Visit site
Havnt i been a wee bit rude with no update for a long time. good excuses and reason though :)

My Waynes Boat Work Services has kicked off big time now, even during this crazy year. I have gone at it full time now so no longer an employee at last. after three years building it up. Booked for the next four months aswell. So no complaints there :)

Only complaint is that i have been neglecting the Norman project. Once i sort things out as in not taking work on 6-7 days a week ina few months i will be at it again..

I near gave up on it and wanted to just work my backside off and buy a live aboard in 4-5 years time as ready to go.

Its not be been easy to decide as for the onc ein my life i have managed to work for myself i can but its dam hard work and long hours, i dont mind that but as said its in the way of the Norman.

Lets see what happens.

Now then over lock down since end of March i got this done,.

Profiles for the mould,

20200516-133044.jpg

20200516-144438.jpg

20200516-142347.jpg

20200516-183257.jpg

20200516-183305.jpg

Timbers will connect them together from the stern of the boat, line out with hardboard and laminated in. and lots in between.

I have timbered the profile frames out already but at the minute there full of ply off cuts from jobs.

And i am thinking on replacing them with 4x2 instead of scant as its just not straight enough, even after searching through the wood yard stock for the best.

Elessar

Visit site
Glad to see you’ve gone from part time nutter to professional nutter Wayne. Bet you’re glad to be rid of that van.

You will stay busy I’m sure. References always available from me if needed.

waynes world

Visit site
Hi kida, true full time nutter as i now have near 3 boats of my own lol. Looking at a Viking 26 ina few weeks for a money earner, will be selling Khashoggi though soon after.

And you mean this van

20200601-180126-1.jpg

Owner is having Portholes fitted and a full refit

20200604-180031.jpg

Yep still got it, a few months after i got back from yours i had to replace for the MOT the rear axle, front wishbones and coils, new brakes all round and master cylinder, drop links, drives like new now ha ha.

God knows how it made the 750 mile round trip that week.

In above pics of a few weeks back i had to bloody sleep in it.

And thanks again, kida, was a good week down yours :)