Painting over bronze?

Nikia

Visit site
Is it possible to paint bronze?

If so, what should I use to achieve a gloss finish, and what would be the best primer?

Many thanks in advance,
Brian

Tranona

Visit site
Hammerite do a primer for bronze and a gloss top coat. Unusual to want to paint bronze, either leave natural or polish depending on time available for cosmetics.

Halo

Visit site
Hammerite Special Metals Primer. Sticks really well.
If its just scale you want to cover up then try dipping part in Brick Cleaner. This is acid and dissolves lime/sea scale amazingly. If you do this Dont leave it long (remove as soon as it stops fizzing) and wear gloves and eye protection. The part should then polish up easily

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I have painted my prop and P-bracket with Velox A/F paint using Hammerite special metals primer. The primer has adhered to the brass (manganese bronze) very well, better than the Velox to it. However, the Hammerite has been reformulated since I did mine, now water based rather than solvent. No experience as yet with the new stuff.

wingless

Visit site
By gloss finish, my assumption is that this is for above waterline applications.

My experience is that Petit 6455 / 044 metal prep, followed by Petit 4700 / 4701 epoxy primer works well both above and below the waterline.

http://www.pettitpaint.com/product.asp?id=86

http://www.pettitpaint.com/product.asp?id=79

My process is to first polish the bronze to a smooth high gloss finish, then to apply these products per the instructions.

When I do this above the waterline, I then sand the epoxy smooth.

My experience is that Rustoleum Professional gloss aerosol works well for a high-gloss, incredibly durable, shiny plastic-like finish on above waterline bronze.

Below waterline, I use normal bottom paint on top of the epoxy.

wingless

Visit site
Here is an example of before and after polished bronze.

SteeringLinkageEnds800x600.jpg

wingless

Visit site
By gloss finish, my assumption is that this is for above waterline applications.

My experience is that Petit 6455 / 044 metal prep, followed by Petit 4700 / 4701 epoxy primer works well both above and below the waterline.

http://www.pettitpaint.com/product.asp?id=86

http://www.pettitpaint.com/product.asp?id=79

My process is to first polish the bronze to a smooth high gloss finish, then to apply these products per the instructions.

When I do this above the waterline, I then sand the epoxy smooth.

My experience is that Rustoleum Professional gloss aerosol works well for a high-gloss, incredibly durable, shiny plastic-like finish on above waterline bronze.

Below waterline, I use normal bottom paint on top of the epoxy.
Here are some images, showing the conversion from rough cast, to polished, to metal prep, then glossy paint over sanded epoxy.

This still look glossy new after six years of continuous usage.

Rough Cast Used Seacock
Unfinished%20Seacock%202.jpg

Unfinished%20Seacock.jpg

Polished Seacocks
Polished%20Seacocks.jpg

Coated w/ Metal Prep
Metal%20Primer%20Macerator%20Seacock.jpg

Epoxy Coated then Sanded then Painted w/ Rustoleum Professional
Finished%20Macerator%20Seacock.jpg

KAL

Visit site
Wingless, how on earth do you go about achieving such an impressive polish on such intricate and difficult surfaces?

wingless

Visit site
Wingless, how on earth do you go about achieving such an impressive polish on such intricate and difficult surfaces?
Thank you.

The tool I use most for metal polishing is an Ingersoll Rand 3102 right angle die grinder and Nylon Mesh Abrasive Quick-Change Discs.

I mostly use the 3" diameter discs, but I also have / use the 1" discs. All mine have the plastic 3M Roloc fastener.

My experience has been favorable on aluminum, steel, stainless steel, cast iron and bronze.

I use the aluminum oxide for difficult metals like cast iron and stainless steel.

The thicker Finishing and Polishing Discs for Contoured and Flat Surfaces are fine discs, but they wear very very fast and I only use those for interior bowl shapes.

With this tool it is easy to attain a mirror finish.

My arsenal also includes "cylindrical" bits of many shapes and sizes and an Ingersoll Rand 3108 straight die grinder.