Removing paint.

Noboat1

Visit site
I scrapwd the complete underside removing years of crater like AF. I used a jetwasher to blast of the aorst of the flakey stuff, and a pull scrpaer and dibbling running hose to prevent dost, and keep the AF soft/damp.

It was tough going, but did a couple of hours at a time on my day off and on the weekends. Got the lot off over a couple of weeks. Its all much much better now.
It does seem that effort pays off with this. Thank you.

Noboat1

Visit site
Many years ago - I had an Alacrity 19 - that previous owners had basically recoated topsides repeatedly ... it must have had about 2 - 3mm of paint layered ....
After a 'scrape' - we all have such moments !! I had a patch on the port transom where the paint had been removed showing the depth of it. I had a decision to make - try remove the built up layers or try patch in the area about the size of my hand on the transom ... note - the depth was enough to consider filler and then topcoat colour !

I made decision to remove all topcoat paint .. a decision that I regretted once started. It was terrible work - I tried chemical stripper ... hand scrapers ... in the end electric sander ... but the sander was so slow that I made a big error of changing to a disc sander ... Yep - I admit I did it ...
Now the paint was coming away at a reasonable rate ... but OH DEAR ... when you looked along the hull - it was dips and peaks .. no longer a level smooth surface.
I could have used Fine Fill (Internationals finishing filler) and then board sanded her back ... but decided to just go with it ... I gave her a new topcoat and sailed her for a few more years and sold her on. I was honest with buyer about the hull.

I was young .. eager to get the job done ... ignored my own advice !!

So please anyone thinking to sand - do not use a disc sander ...
Thank you. Yes, disc sanders are great in the right place!

fredrussell

Visit site
Very interested in that comment ..... nearly every yard I know - if not using blasting - use electric sanders with vacuum attachment .....
It depends how much you like your neighbours. Not all the AF dust will end up in the vacuum cleaner. I worked in a boat building place a few years back where every abrasive tool had a vacuum attached. On a sunny day if you looked at the air near a window it was extremely dusty. Electric sanding of AF is very much a no no in my local yard.