New to us boat... what spares/tools do we need onboard

Hurricane

Visit site
The replies to this post show why some of us ( me!) carry pretty much all of the above that has been amassed aver years. I was on anchor once and had to mend the tender throttle. Out came the angle grinder and I made the part. The kids were swimming at the time. Jig Saws, electric sanders, electric planner, heat gun etc it goes on and on. And I actually use most of it which is why everything on the damn boat works!
My problem is that I have all that stuff - and more.
But in Sant Carles, we have these little lockups so you can more or less guarantee that the part or tool you want at anchor in "in the shed".
These little sheds fill up though.

I think I have most stuff out in Spain - even a spare anchor.
Spare oil - spare covers - spare electric bikes - spare battery chargers - and more.

And on the boat itself, I keep lots of spare stuff in the bilges.
Things like spare pumps - steering systems - heat exchangers and loads of electrical and electronic components.
In face some people on here have called my boat the quartermasters stores.

It is simple, when something breaks, it will probably break again so I replace it and buy another as a spare.

Dino

Visit site
One of the handiest items I have on board is a set of plastic jugs I bought in B&Q for about €4. There are three different sizes and I have used them so many times. The big one is perfect for putting under a primary fuel filter. Just unscrew the bolt and the filter drops into the jug with any diesel. Then easy to pour the diesel into a bottle for disposal. They are also very handy for topping up fluids, measuring, etc.
A head torch, magnetic work light, multimeter, spare fuses, bulbs, etc. Should also be on the list.

Bouba

Visit site
One of the handiest items I have on board is a set of plastic jugs I bought in B&Q for about €4. There are three different sizes and I have used them so many times. The big one is perfect for putting under a primary fuel filter. Just unscrew the bolt and the filter drops into the jug with any diesel. Then easy to pour the diesel into a bottle for disposal. They are also very handy for topping up fluids, measuring, etc.
A head torch, magnetic work light, multimeter, spare fuses, bulbs, etc. Should also be on the list.
Its true, my plastic jug works overtime too!

Bouba

Visit site
I also use a small cheap (about €7) plastic, battery operated pump. I use it to pump out the rain water accumulating in the dingy but also to put antifreeze in the engine as there’s not enough head clearance to use the jug!

mil1194

www.myitmatters.com
Thank you all - some great suggestions there that I hadn’t thought of. I’m quite handy with the spanners so if there something I can’t do then at least I hope to have the spares ready for someone more capable.

Hurricane

Visit site
Have you discounted the area we looked at under the cabin?
I was about to say something like that.
On our Princess, there are lots of wooden access hatches under the carpets in the cabins that give access to the bilges.
There is quite a lot of space under a lot of these wooden hatches.
I've bought plastic storage cases and made shelves so that I can store the spares away from the main living spaces.

I remember that MYAG from this forum used to keep a spreadsheet of all the spares on his boat and where they were "stashed".
Something I am regretting having not done - Often, I know that I have the part but can't remember where I put it.

AndieMac

Visit site
A good set of tools, screwdrivers, a jubilee clip hex drive flexible, spare jubilees, tapered bungs, filter wrench , some tinned electrical wire.

Spares at lease 8 fuel prefilters, belts, impellers, engine oil, coolant, gearbox oil, hydraulic oil for steering and small funnels. Rags.

Obviously a person who knows their way around an engine room.

A marine mechanic I was recently talking to, said the flexible J clip driver and a small pinch bar was among his most used tools.

Greg2

Visit site
I've only just discovered how useful a wet vac is.

+1
Recently borrowed a mates whilst changing the coolant and was so impressed I bought one. Drain points tricky to access so no chance of getting anything under most to catch the coolant but the vac was so powerful that getting it close to the drains sucked most of it up and cleaning the rest from the bilge was so easy. Also made draining the hydronic heating system a doddle as it just sucked all of the coolant out.

Can’t believe that I missed this and have been struggling with various pumps, sponges and paper towels for years! Doh!

Last edited:

Hurricane

Visit site
+1
Recently borrowed a mates whilst changing the coolant and was so impressed I bought one. Drain points tricky to access so no chance of getting anything under most to catch the coolant but the vac was so powerful that getting it close to the drains sucked most of it up and cleaning the rest from the bilge was so easy. Also made draining the hydronic heating system a doddle as it just sucked all of the coolant out.

Can’t believe that I missed this and have been struggling with various pumps, sponges and paper towing for years! Doh!
Yep - your comment is so underestimated.
I've been using those Pela hand pumps to suck water out of the bilges.
I was given a Karcher wet vac this summer and it "literally" did in 10 seconds what usually takes me 45 mins.
A wet vac is definitely on my list now - and kept on the boat - not in the shed.