New boat!

vas

Visit site
@vas ive just read that my a026 transmits NMEA 0183 r422. The VHF wants r232. Someone reckons connect nmea + out to the + in on the VHF and the VHF nmea - to ground. What do you think?
oh, got to check my old code as I'm not doing anything more with 0183.
Unless I'm horribly wrong, there are some level shifting chips (or something like that) that cost a quid or so that you solder and change one to another.
sorry too tired to search now, will tell you tomorrow.
if you could link to the manuals of the two devices, it would help!

V.

PS colour looks good!

Mr Googler

Visit site
oh, got to check my old code as I'm not doing anything more with 0183.
Unless I'm horribly wrong, there are some level shifting chips (or something like that) that cost a quid or so that you solder and change one to another.
sorry too tired to search now, will tell you tomorrow.
if you could link to the manuals of the two devices, it would help!

V.

PS colour looks good!

https://icomuk.co.uk/files/icom/PDF/productManual/IC-M411_instruction_manual.pdf

http://quark-elec.com/doc/QK-A026_application_note.pdf

Cheers Vas ?

Mr Googler

Visit site
Dash and switch panel back in…..and working! 4 new speakers and Thunderstruck sounded good!

trim tab button panel getting a make over this afternoon! Getting somewhere now ?

@vas…tried swapping + and - over and + only. No good. Quark said plug in with laptop and check baud rate
F101B53F-AAE2-4D86-B6EC-CB2A6E3C78D2.jpeg355E2727-AB9C-43E6-98D9-5DC3A6452E3D.jpegD3955C58-57ED-473B-9562-0DF4916A18B3.jpeg

BruceK

Visit site
518TYb0fR1L._AC_SX425_.jpg

Mr Googler

Visit site
Yeah…might redo the sticker. I wrapped the last one round to the back. Can’t really see the cut edge from 6 inches away

vas

Visit site
From memory the real difference between RS422 and RS232 is the voltage level, RS422 is used for long distance transmission of serial data using unshielded twisted pair, I used RS422 for my solar panels until the manufacturer provided an ethernet adapter and bluetooth transmitter
RS422 to RS232 converter
what Alicatt suggests would work, problem is that your device hasn't got a normal 9pin serial port, so you got to get also a male serial and solder cables etc etc.
you could get something like this which is easier to work with (but not that cheap!)
USB to RS422 RS485 RS232 TTL Convertion Adapter TTL Serial Port | eBay
or this:
https://www.amazon.com/DTech-Isolat...06SV52Y62CJ&psc=1&refRID=360JEGMQX06SV52Y62CJ

what I've needed with my arduinos was TTL to RS232 which is a slightly different story.

just check that the Garmin recommended adapter is not cheaper than these :rolleyes:

V.

Mr Googler

Visit site
you could also v.carefully try this:
No Cable Connection Required | RS232 to RS422/485 Conversion

looks like voltage levels are similar/compatible and ground the two devices together. Nothing to loose before buying the proper adapter.

Interesting. So it’s tx- from the a026 to rx on the vhf and ground the shield wire. Sort of what other sites said.

Quark have said log into the unit and change the baud rate. There are 4 options apparently. Few things to try. Cheers Vas

vas

Visit site
Farsco,

when you say that the AIS thingie has 4 baud rate options (didn't see that on the manual) are you sure you can configure the NMEA 422 OUT pins to ONLY 4.8k baud rate?
Manual implies that output is run at 38.4 which is the right speed for AIS, but obvs VHF has no reason to run at that speed just to read coords which are updated at lower speed (and it simply wont!)
S/W wise, I'd expect (if it does it!) to have an option to DISABLE AIS OUT through the NMEA OUT pins FIRST, and THEN configure baud down to 4.8k.
which tbh would be a bit of a silly way of using the device, hence its suggestion you connect the low baud rate NMEA to input GPS coords to the device and obvs output high speed AIS to a plotter.

If that doesn't work (wont be surprised) I fear that getting the right multiplexer/converter/whatever for this to work, will work out more expensive than getting an gps mushroom for the vhf!
Or if you get one of your tablets GPS signal and somehow output it in NMEA0183 to the VHF? difficult on android...
BTW, the AIS thingie has the GPS chip/antenna integrated within the enclosure, right? You didn't just get a mushroom in the package.

V.

vas

Visit site
worst idea ever having devices in a marine environment communicating via tiny wires that have to be connected in incomprehensible ways!
Spent the best part of 4h yesterday debugging the ONLY NMEA0183 in I have in my boat which is the instruction to reset the anchor rode from the GMI10 (4in displays) to my black box.
For the record there are still no NMEA2000 anchor chain devices around, should package mine and sell it for half a grand :LOL: !
OTOH, there are no plotters/displays that support the 3 windlass PGNs that I know off which makes the exercise pointless...

Went all the way back to code I did 2yrs ago and was working for sure, nada!
Started sorting out wiring and realised that NMEA0183 IN to my device HAS to be from ONE fcking device, I can broadcast to many but receive only from one without a multiplexer. I know elementary, but had forgotten it!
So I had the NMEA0183 OUT + from two GMIs (one on each helm) sending this bloody sentence. When two were wired to my box and one was sending I was getting nothing, removed the f/b IN cable from the chockbox, everything back to normal.
So black box now broadcasts chain out and chain speed to two GMIs, but only receives reset rode from lower helm...

Mr Googler

Visit site