Navionics stopped.

KAM

Visit site
Navionics on my non internet connected Android device has just asked for a password after many years of just working. I'm away from home and can't remember the password. Does anyone know how the password system works. Why would it suddenly ask for one.

KAM

Visit site
It's not connected to the internet. Why did it suddenly ask for a password. If it's not connected to the internet it won't know what the new password is.

Daverw

Visit site
If it’s not on internet it’s most likely that it’s your pad resetting logging into the app rather than the Navionics app, ive on,y had this following OS update, to reset it I think you would need internet access

Bilgediver

Visit site
Navionics on my non internet connected Android device has just asked for a password after many years of just working. I'm away from home and can't remember the password. Does anyone know how the password system works. Why would it suddenly ask for one.

You say non internet connected. However do you sometimes connect to the internet to load Apps. Has the appearance of the opening page of Navionics changed recently suggesting it has managed to do a sneeky update.

I have a version of Navionics in an old Hudl and it would just love to connect to the internet when ever the Hudl is connected however this can be avoided on the start page on mine as there is a link at the bottom half of the screen that allows it to be started in as is configuration. Garmin now seem to own Navionics and are much more commercially minded so watch your wallet.

I will have to look out my Hudl and see exactly what that start link says but it is most inconspicuous.

Reactions: KAM

KAM

Visit site
I finally found my password but Navionics refused to work until I'd found a WiFi signal and logged in. It's now working normally. Seems to be a big disadvantage for navigation. It's worked for a couple of years then suddenly I'm out at sea and it decides not to work until I've got a WiFi signal and logged in.

KAM

Visit site
M
You say non internet connected. However do you sometimes connect to the internet to load Apps. Has the appearance of the opening page of Navionics changed recently suggesting it has managed to do a sneeky update.

I have a version of Navionics in an old Hudl and it would just love to connect to the internet when ever the Hudl is connected however this can be avoided on the start page on mine as there is a link at the bottom half of the screen that allows it to be started in as is configuration. Garmin now seem to own Navionics and are much more commercially minded so watch your wallet.

I will have to look out my Hudl and see exactly what that start link says but it is most inconspicuous.
Might have been a sneaky update but a big problem for a navigational tool.

Daverw

Visit site
I finally found my password but Navionics refused to work until I'd found a WiFi signal and logged in. It's now working normally. Seems to be a big disadvantage for navigation. It's worked for a couple of years then suddenly I'm out at sea and it decides not to work until I've got a WiFi signal and logged in.
Many YouTubers are using Navionics app and don’t report any issues when off shore, I personally would not use the app as primary nav tool, it’s also useful to regulary log in to most apps just to allow them to update, new features and bug fixes. Especially if your planning to be offline for a while, assume you would do this with your charts.

dukeofted

Visit site
Navionics is a yearly subscription so it probably has an inbuilt timer to check for an up to date subscription when it knows your renewal is due. Worth emailing Navionics directly to check as if you are relying on it for safety then clearly not ideal!

stu9000

Visit site
I did contact navionics about this issue a year or so ago, worried I'd be unable to use it mid channel. They said they do not force a WiFi required login for obvious reasons. They do recommend logging in once in a while to update maps and check for updates.

Its actually rare to have your phone completely off the grid. Create a WiFi hotspot using your phone and have your ipad connect to it.

I do the hotspot thing routinely anyway as one single device can always go flying, run out of battery etc. Having my phone, the nav box and tablet all on the same WiFi ensures routes are synced across devices , avoiding that single point of failure.

KAM

Visit site
I wouldn't rely on it. I've got paper charts and sextant. Electronic admiralty charts. Antares charts. Cmap on an SH plotter and 2 hand held GPS units. Just things that have accumulated over the years. Cmap is whats connected to the autopilot but Navionics is quite handy for browsing routes and cross checking things now and again.

Supertramp

Visit site
I had the same problem and logged back in using the password OK. It now sits next to the VHF call signs......

Navionics is fantastic saving hours of checking and calculating but I always plot my position on paper on passage. I also check anchorages, especially new, obscure ones, on the Raymarine plotter and Navionics. I carry paper charts but not at an anchoring level of detail for all my cruising grounds.

steve yates

Visit site
It's not connected to the internet. Why did it suddenly ask for a password. If it's not connected to the internet it won't know what the new password is.
I had the same issue previously, it was very disconcerting and something that really pissed me off. Its otherwise excellent but that is a ridiculous and stupid flaw in a great design.

Yngmar

Visit site
Same rubbish happened to us two days ago, while underway and using the app with an active track going. You cannot login without internet and you cannot tell it to STFU and go back to displaying the chart it was showing a moment ago because you would like to navigate around these rocks right now. Luckily we always run OpenCPN in parallel and could fall back on that. But just goes to show this consumer app rubbish is not suitable for navigation and cannot be relied upon.

And all just so they can gather some more personalized tracking data. From their paying customers, no less. Can't wait for the first American laywer to smash his boat into some rocks because of this popup and sue the pants off Garmin :mad:

On top of that, once we did have internet, it just kept saying "LOGIN ERROR" until I went on the Navionics website from the laptop and logged in there, which then seemed to clear the login for the app.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
We had the same problem 2 days ago too , I was using it to track us on two devices, one came up with login , tried and it didn't except password , tried to recover password , it send me a email with new password but every time I when to change it , it came up with an error.
All this time on my other tablet it was working fine.

northwind

Visit site
We had the same problem 2 days ago too , I was using it to track us on two devices, one came up with login , tried and it didn't except password , tried to recover password , it send me a email with new password but every time I when to change it , it came up with an error.
All this time on my other tablet it was working fine.
I had this problem, and reported it to them.. It was an issue their end which should now be resolved. Mine logged in fine the following day

gordmac

Visit site
Navionics is a yearly subscription so it probably has an inbuilt timer to check for an up to date subscription when it knows your renewal is due. Worth emailing Navionics directly to check as if you are relying on it for safety then clearly not ideal!
I have had Navionics on my tablet for years without paying anything more than the initial purchase price, I think the subscription is if you want updates.