Marine Surveyors

Cobra

Visit site
We are looking at a Sadler 25 tomorrow...everything we have seen about her from photo's provided by the owner at present ticks the boxes and if she is as good as she looks we will probably go for her once a survey has been done...but having been somewhat out of touch with cruisers for the past couple of years (too much time messing about on Barges!) wondering who the favoured Marine Surveyor is at present for the North Essex/South Suffolk area.
I have used Martin Evans in the past, but I know he can be very difficult to pin down as he was here there and everywhere!
Thoughts?

dolabriform

freewheeling.world
We are looking at a Sadler 25 tomorrow...everything we have seen about her from photo's provided by the owner at present ticks the boxes and if she is as good as she looks we will probably go for her once a survey has been done...but having been somewhat out of touch with cruisers for the past couple of years (too much time messing about on Barges!) wondering who the favoured Marine Surveyor is at present for the North Essex/South Suffolk area.
I have used Martin Evans in the past, but I know he can be very difficult to pin down as he was here there and everywhere!
Thoughts?

We used Stephen Read for our last two surveys, can thoroughly recommend.

Stephen Read M.IMarEST (EngTech), MIIMS Marine Surveyor

Mei Mac

www.smala.net
A report was very handy for me when offering a price for the boat. I could quote any major, imminent jobs that needed to be done and use them as a bargaining tool. I also included a lot of the report's findings in a spreadsheet that I'm slowly going through. I spent £345 for a report on my 35 footer and I think it was worth every penny since I got managed to get much more than £345 off the of the price of the boat.

In case anyone's ever looking for a marine survey in north Wales, I used:

Ridge Marine Surveying Ltd
Llwyn Ffynnon
Caernarfon Road
Pwllheli
Gwynedd
LL53 5YA

Telephone 0871 237 9322
Mobile: 07734 169 215

info@gerryridge.co.uk
www.gerryridge.co.uk

Cobra

Visit site
Is it really worth a surveyor? I'd put the surveyor cost aside and expect to spend it on the boat
Swings and Roundabouts I guess!

I have been around boats long enough now to know what I should be looking for, BUT for peace of mind I think it is probably worth it and secondly for insurance purposes!

Praxinoscope

Visit site
We used Stephen Read for our last two surveys, can thoroughly recommend.

Stephen Read M.IMarEST (EngTech), MIIMS Marine Surveyor

I used Stephen a couple of years ago, coincidentally for my Sadler 25, found him efficient and helpful. He pointed out a couple of small items which needed attention, but that was it, and he gave her a 'clean bill of health. I would echo dolabriforms recommendation.
I think the relatively small cost of a survey is worth it, unless you are an expert in marine construction, and most insurance companies now seem to require one before insuring,

pvb

Visit site

Martin Evans did the survey on my old Hallberg-Rassy 352 when I sold it in 2014. I popped in to see him while he was doing it, which was fortuitous, as he was planning to tell my buyer that the rudder had bad osmosis! It didn't, he'd mistaken the uneven filler where HR cover the bronze rudder tangs for osmosis. I wasn't impressed.

sailorman

Visit site
Martin Evans did the survey on my old Hallberg-Rassy 352 when I sold it in 2014. I popped in to see him while he was doing it, which was fortuitous, as he was planning to tell my buyer that the rudder had bad osmosis! It didn't, he'd mistaken the uneven filler where HR cover the bronze rudder tangs for osmosis. I wasn't impressed.
He surveyed my previous boat for the new owner. i phoned & thanked him for a very fair survey & nothing came up that wasnt already disclosed.
I have used him ever since

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I had a survey done on my present boat - two in fact but that's another story! Both picked a couple of items which I had not spotted, one fairly serious, so well worth the cost and of course for insurance purposes.

sailorman

Visit site
Thoughts?
Tey john munns former manager at foxs boatysrd workshops and a sailor himselfowns a fine nic 43