Marina fees

Seastoke

Visit site
We have jus paid in full for the year, no problem with that but being the marina will not need as many staff and they are getting a years free rates , should this not be passed down.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I think those of us that can help by paying what we can should. If this helps the less fortunate then that would be very nice

colhel

Visit site
I think we should get some sort of compensation, I was thinking moving the start of the contract forward from the beginning of April.
There will be some on here who think that as we're privileged enough to own a boat we should foot the bill but we are couple who give up an awful lot so we can enjoy our hobby and have seen our income drop considerably due to my Wife not being able to claim the help to Self Employed.
A friend of mine owns A gym and he's been advised that he can't take payment if he can't offer a service which seems logical but how gyms work is you pay monthly for a years contract. The problem with using this reason for marinas is there still offering a service with a parking space and checks, but a huge part of boat ownership is being able to use it. I hope they offer something.

Scubadoo

Visit site
I think mdl plan to increase their yard service fees (lift services etc) from 1st April, hopefully they will reconsider and at least put it on hold. I can't see in general reduced marina fees as the main purpose is a berth for your boat and monitored by staff which hasn't changed, whether you use the boat is irrelevant. However considering how this is impacting everyone, they could find reduction of berth holders over time and hence may consider this for next year's fees.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I think we should get some sort of compensation, I was thinking moving the start of the contract forward from the beginning of April.
There will be some on here who think that as we're privileged enough to own a boat we should foot the bill but we are couple who give up an awful lot so we can enjoy our hobby and have seen our income drop considerably due to my Wife not being able to claim the help to Self Employed.
A friend of mine owns A gym and he's been advised that he can't take payment if he can't offer a service which seems logical but how gyms work is you pay monthly for a years contract. The problem with using this reason for marinas is there still offering a service with a parking space and checks, but a huge part of boat ownership is being able to use it. I hope they offer something.

I totally disagree...……. Your boat is there and that is what you have paid for........ Would you prefer we all got our money back and the marina went bust.

At the moment money should be down the list of priorities, if you have enough for the essentials (A boat and using it is not an essential).

Me and her indoors have also given up a lot over time and will probably loose near £3000 on holidays we wont or cant go on and my income has dropped to effectively Zero. I look at this as money paid and gone.... If I get some back then good if I dont well so be it.

I certainly would not ask my marina for any money back or other consideration.

Seastoke

Visit site
I totally disagree...……. Your boat is there and that is what you have paid for........ Would you prefer we all got our money back and the marina went bust.

At the moment money should be down the list of priorities, if you have enough for the essentials (A boat and using it is not an essential).

Me and her indoors have also given up a lot over time and will probably loose near £3000 on holidays we wont or cant go on and my income has dropped to effectively Zero. I look at this as money paid and gone.... If I get some back then good if I dont well so be it.

I certainly would not ask my marina for any money back or other consideration.
But do you have a boat in a marina

Fender!

Visit site
What I am saying is it is not right that the marina should benefit from the closure.
Chatting to a mate this morning who sails, his six months ‘summer’ berth starts April 1st and is roughly 75% of the £5500 annual mooring cost (he’s already paid), they’ve emailed all berth holders in the last few days to stay away and the marina is closed until further notice. He is going to email them back today to see what there policy is regarding the above, there’s going to be no winners this summer ?

Blue Sunray

Visit site
We have jus paid in full for the year, no problem with that but being the marina will not need as many staff and they are getting a years free rates , should this not be passed down.

So you are suggesting they should sack/stop paying some of their staff, which ones would you pick, the ones who have got ill?

colhel

Visit site
It's obviously a very difficult question to answer as we don't know how and if the marinas qualify for any government help., but right I think the OP asked a valid question . A lot of emotion on this forum at the moment and financial anxiety is a big part I feel.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Many contracts will be starting in two day's time so some clarity from them would be appreciated, particularly for those unable to use their berths through no fault of their own.

Rappey

Visit site
Marinas may still be paying their staff and still maintaining the place.
They won't be getting any income from visitors or any sales such as fuel etc.
Tenants may not be able to pay rents, new bertholders may not be arriving resulting in empty berths.
Crown estates may still demand their cut for each berth.
Can't see how they can profit from this situation.
Why would anyone get a refund if your vessel is moored in their marina?
Boats due to leave but trapped may be able to continue with winter rates.