Just pictures

Frayed Knot

Visit site
Did you go through the same hailstorm / squall that we did?

Blew through just as we had entered the Deben river mouth, hail was so intense it was quite hard to see.

Around 16:00 last Saturday...
Yes, horrible wasn’t it? That’s why we hove to; we waited for the worst to pass before we went in as the vis was so bad. On the plus side, we had a mini snowball fight with the accumulated hailstones ?

Concerto

Visit site
Some photos taken today whilst sailing from Chatham to Southend and back.

IMG_2010 1000pix.jpg
East end of Cookham Reach

IMG_2011 1000pix.jpg
Running along Long Reach with my bow wave off the stern

IMG_2017 1000pix.jpg
Looking over the marshes near Stangate Creek

IMG_2018 1000pix.jpg
Grain Fort bathed in sunshine

IMG_2022 1000pix.jpg
Looking towards Sheerness from Thames Sea Reach

IMG_2030 1000pix.jpg
Brian Jone's Westerly Tempest Bootlegger

Concerto off Sheerness 2 1000pix.jpg
Concerto taken by Brian Jones as she starts beating back up the Medway

IMG_2033 1000pix.jpg
The setting sun looking up Long Reach.

It was a geat sail. It took about 6½ hours as it was a run down the Medway with plenty of gybes, but with reefed main and genoa as the wind was up to 19 knots over the deck behind the beam. With the log fouled I watched the speed over the ground and went as high as 7.6 knots with some tide with me.

Crossing the Thames was with the wind about 60 degrees off the port bow, so a fast point of sail and generally 6 to 7 knots going cross tide. The return crossing was with the wind about on the beam and similar speeds.

Entering the Medway turned the sail into a beat home with 15 to 21 knots over the deck and sailing at about 5.8 to 6.2 knots . After about 3 miles the wind started dropping so I unreefed both sails and the wind kept dropping the further up the river I sailed.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Some photos taken today whilst sailing from Chatham to Southend and back.

View attachment 101612
East end of Cookham Reach

View attachment 101613
Running along Long Reach with my bow wave off the stern

View attachment 101614
Looking over the marshes near Stangate Creek

View attachment 101615
Grain Fort bathed in sunshine

View attachment 101616
Looking towards Sheerness from Thames Sea Reach

View attachment 101617
Brian Jone's Westerly Tempest Bootlegger

View attachment 101619
Concerto taken by Brian Jones as she starts beating back up the Medway

View attachment 101620
The setting sun looking up Long Reach.

It was a geat sail. It took about 6½ hours as it was a run down the Medway with plenty of gybes, but with reefed main and genoa as the wind was up to 19 knots over the deck behind the beam. With the log fouled I watched the speed over the ground and went as high as 7.6 knots with some tide with me.

Crossing the Thames was with the wind about 60 degrees off the port bow, so a fast point of sail and generally 6 to 7 knots going cross tide. The return crossing was with the wind about on the beam and similar speeds.

Entering the Medway turned the sail into a beat home with 15 to 21 knots over the deck and sailing at about 5.8 to 6.2 knots . After about 3 miles the wind started dropping so I unreefed both sails and the wind kept dropping the further up the river I sailed.

Doesn't look too cold either .

I still have Petunias and climbing roses flowering . I'm going to carry on sailing until the last bloom is gone.

johnalison

Visit site
I think that first picture might be Thirstlet Spit rather than Bench Head
I had second thoughts after posting, because we were on our way back from Brightlingsea with the club and wouldn't have passed the Bench Head, so I'm sure you are right. I was voted leader of the pack because I had Decca.