Greece charter - Yachtbooker.com ?

slipknot

Visit site
Considering a 40>45ft sail boat charter in Greece next summer, probably will be 6 of us on board of varying experience so likely to choose the Ionian. Been looking online and Yachtbookers list some nice prices but look a bit short of detail. Anyone used them? Who else should I be looking at?
Thanks
Ian

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
Go to www.latesail.com look up the area and dates you want and check prices then use "name your price" 15 to 20% off the already discounted price is often accepted by the charter company. It's still a buyer's market there are too many charter boats, particularly in Greece. Avoid Kiriacoulis it gets the most complaints for old boats which is why it is the cheapest.

Nick86

Visit site
Hi,

Have you tried www.justimaginesailing.com ? they're an independent company operating from Kefalonia (Sami/Agia Effimia). They have a 45ft Cruiser with 3 double cabins and ensuites. Very nicely balanced yacht with all the mod cons.

Definitely worth a try and as they're independent they really look after their boat and customers. I met them at the London boat show and seemed very professional.

choppy

Visit site
Hi
Yachtbooker operate 1 of the mainstream online feeds that most if not all of the agents such as those mentioned above use to offer an available charter boat, I guess this is via their "direct" service so they will take a much reduced %age commission so you are probably 10+% better off before you start. I don't think they will expect to do much more than book the boat. You are then as is always the case with any such charter in the hands of the fleet operator and the standard of their operation & the yachts they run.
To answer the original question yes they are good guys.

Nick86

Visit site
I agree, Choppy. Yachtbooker is all very well but you're often better going direct with the yacht charter company, like Just Imagine Sailing, as you'll receive higher discounts as the likes of yachtbooker will take any discounts as profit for them and not share with their end client. Also the service you'll receive from booking directly is typically much better as focused on you rather than the other 100 yachts that they have in their fleet. I know for a fact that Just Imagine Sailing's yachts are kept to a very high standard and modern. well worth getting a quote directly.

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
> Yachtbooker is all very well but you're often better going direct with the yacht charter company, like Just Imagine Sailing, as you'll receive higher discounts as the likes of yachtbooker will take any discounts as profit for them and not share with their end client.

All brokers are paid a commision by charter companies, including LateSail, if they weren't they wouldn't be in business. The difference between small charter companies and single yacht type charter companies and LateSAIL is they have fewer boats usually fom one company. LateSail deals with all the medium and large charter companies around the world and normally has over 8,000 discounted boats on their site. So if you want the widest choice of area, boats and the best price go there because charter discounts are volume based and LateSail is the world's largest discounted charter company.

Tranona

Visit site
Agents like Yachtbookers and Latesail have their place in the market but they are only agents so have little control over the operators. Booking direct with an operator can be equally as good financially and you then have a direct relationship with them. Fortunately the overall standard of operators is very high so the chances of getting a bad experience low.

I used to own a boat managed by Kiriacoulis and what kellyseye says about them is simply not true, but they are big and impersonal compared with the many smaller and often British owned operators who offer a much more personal service.

Nick86

Visit site
I used to own a boat managed by Kiriacoulis and what kellyseye says about them is simply not true, but they are big and impersonal compared with the many smaller and often British owned operators who offer a much more personal service.
Read more at http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?442412-Greece-charter-Yachtbooker-com#1PHo9EkhrjFu9ylo.99

You're quite right Tranona. I've experienced both Latesail and independent companies and I've always had a better overall experience with the independants. Price isn't everything in my eye and the independent companies certainly go above an beyond to ensure quality on their yachts and service. I suppose not all independent companies are the same but the last thing they would want is a bad review so typically ensure their customers are well looked after.

choppy

Visit site
As with all things there are good agents, bad agents, good fleet ops & ones who will try & survive by giving a bit less. (as qualified above)

To return to the OPs question We (The fleet op) pay Yachtbooker & others to display our fleet & to supply the agents with availability etc so any " special deals" available from an agent will almost inevitably be available else where as the agents are often only marketing this info or "feed" qualified by their contacts & experience - One of the reasons the search facility on most of the websites look so similar.

So shop around its usually pretty easy to tell with a phone call who is genuine & prepared to work for your business; booking on line I guess a little more difficult but if spending a few thousand I I'd pick up the phone 1st.
Then again Im frequently surprised by reluctance to use the old blower but that betrays creeping middle age I think.

iain789

Visit site
We used Nigel James, and have no complaints. He was very helpful guiding us where and what to sail for us first timers.

+1 - good personal service, and he's happy to intervene if (rarely) problems arise with the boat or charter company during the charter.
No connection other than as a satisfied customer over the last 15 or more years.

web site http://www.nj-yacht.com/