Glow Plug Mod to Bukh Dv 20

catalina1

Visit site
Hi
Has anyone installed a cold start kit to a bukh dv 20 .
Whats involved?
Do you just screw a glow plug into to inlet manifold?
Is the hole already there?

robertj

Visit site
bukh

hi,

just bought one and in the midst of fitting.

comes with its own manifold with the glow plug/heater element inside it.

Remove the air filter casing, remove the manifold that the air filter casing bolts to, fit new manifold with the glow plug heater unit refit air cleaner casing and wife to starter switch some where (not worked that one out yet)

bob

seems simple enough but no doubt i will miss or mess some thing up

Gin

Visit site
My DV10 cold start kit consisted of a Lucas relay, with +ve feed in and earth, then supply to the glowplug activated by a wire to terminal 17 inside the ignition switch, that's all there is to it.

It was relatively expensive for what it was- about £140+ I seem to recall- but then that's Bukh for you

Poignard

Visit site
I fitted this modification to my DV10 more than 10 years ago. It was very straightforward mechanically although the extra length of the new air inlet pipe meant that the air filter fouled the engine casing. I solved this by discarding the BUKH air filter and buying a 'pancake' air filter from ASAP Supplies Ltd.

The electrical installation consisted of wiring in a relay. The relay contacts connect the heater to the battery via a fuse and the coil connects to a terminal in the engine control panel so that when you turn the key clockwise against the spring, but without pressing it in, the relay energises and connects 12v to the heater. Hold it for 10 - 15 seconds then press the key in and the engine will start. (should start!)

catalina1

Visit site
Ah!
So they supply a new manifold.
I was going to drill and tap the existing manifold.
My air filter will not fit afterwards either then!!
I thought 140.00 squids was expensive!!
but I suppose thats boating for you!!