Engine Display Gateway for KAD

Dazzajohm

Visit site
After a recent I post I made looking for an old EDC display for a KAD 44, as I wanted to monitor fuel flow, another forum member Ian H sent me a link to a new bit of kit a company called Yacht Devices are now selling which connects to the engine to compatible multifunction displays

http://www.yachtd.com/products/j1708_gateway.html

Having a thorough read through the website and instructions, as I have a Raymarine E7d I thought it seemed like an excellent bit of kit so purchased what I needed from their UK supplier PRS Communications and installed today.

The kit only took about an hour to hook up - the most time consuming aspect was routing cables neatly where they needed to go. Switched on the engine and display and hey presto all the info came straight up.

I've seen some other posts on here from people wanting fuel flow info and other such items from similar engines so though I would share this post in case it helps some someone else.

Big thanks to Ian h for finding this in the first place.

AAB35824-B605-45BE-A5D4-AA422E983552.JPG

bluetooth

Visit site
Wow looks great. Are you single engine?
What was was total cost?
Any extra pics or info to help with installation or was it that simple?
How did log hours compare with Volvo engine rev counter display?

Dorset Dan

Visit site
+1

Would like to know more too, would be nice to get engine data from my KAD300's onto my new Raymarine Axiom unit if not too costly

Dazzajohm

Visit site
What was was total cost?

Yes, I'm just on a single KAD 44

Total cost was just shy of £400 - £250 for the gateway, about £90ish for the seatalk network kit and I had to to buy an extra seatalk spur cable as the 3m one which came with it wasn't long enough which cost around £50.

Installation was really easy;

1) connect one end of the the engine gateway to the ECU. It connects to the white connector used by engineers when they connect to vodia on a laptop. The gateway already comes with the right connection.

2) connect the other end of the gateway cable to one of the ports of the 5 way adaptor that comes with the seatalk network kit

3) connect one end of the spur cable that comes with the network kit to the multifunction display and the other end to the network adaptor

4) connect the power supply that comes with the network kit - one end plugs in to the kit and the other end needs connecting to battery / isolator.

5) switch everything on and that's it.

I've added a video of the result to YouTube

https://youtu.be/oIb4lxbCKWo

Dazzajohm

Visit site
What was was total cost?

... the engine hours on the counter haven't worked for ages but I think they said around 600 but the ones now displaying show around 800ish I think.

bluetooth

Visit site
DJ
So for twin engines about 700 then?
Screen split looks great; again for twin could you have all info on just smaller font sizes
Well done and thanks for great post
Simon

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
DJ
So for twin engines about 700 then?
Screen split looks great; again for twin could you have all info on just smaller font sizes
Well done and thanks for great post
Simon

Twin display looks a bit like this; this is on a E125. The basic page layout is chosen from a selection of templates, and each individual field is configurable. Like the OP, when I first powered it all up the E125 just autoconfigured using a default page, which slightly bizarrely had a Sea-ray logo. Note that I didn't use the same interface as the OP, I used the VP gateway (donated by a frustrated jrudge), plus a cable that iirc I made myself, and I already had a pretty comprehensive Raymarine network in place.

2iGCIPS.jpg

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Funny this thread would come up.
Mate has a pair of 74s in his princess , after a lot of work he has undone all this and I’d e exactly the same , apparently the link is from Canada.

Someone is making a lot of money out of this.

I’ll dig a bit more as I could find out and market this if enough interest .

jrudge

Visit site
I bought a yacht devices box at Düsseldorf.

All fitted and working.

The boat has d12 715 hp. I am on evc a and I get ...

Port and starbord
-rpm
- engine hours
- coolant temp
- oil pressure
- boost

Single measure
- voltage
- total fuel flow

I installed mine to the upper helm control unit. This save a lot of expensive cables and difficult running of wires from the engine room. The only impact is the upper helm must be selected for it to work - but I only drive from there anyway.

They ar3 very helpful by email anD gave me the raymarine part numbers to create a simple network

The cost of the box, their adaptors and the raymarine bits was about £400.

Fitting ( the helm was in bits anyway ) took about an hour. Plug into the helm control unit , the plotter (e120 classic ) and give it 12 volts.

Impressed especially after the previous hassle I had with a Volvo gateway.

Dazzajohm

Visit site
I bought a yacht devices box at Düsseldorf.

All fitted and working.

The boat has d12 715 hp. I am on evc a and I get ...

Port and starbord
-rpm
- engine hours
- coolant temp
- oil pressure
- boost

Single measure
- voltage
- total fuel flow

I installed mine to the upper helm control unit. This save a lot of expensive cables and difficult running of wires from the engine room. The only impact is the upper helm must be selected for it to work - but I only drive from there anyway.

They ar3 very helpful by email anD gave me the raymarine part numbers to create a simple network

The cost of the box, their adaptors and the raymarine bits was about £400.

Fitting ( the helm was in bits anyway ) took about an hour. Plug into the helm control unit , the plotter (e120 classic ) and give it 12 volts.

Impressed especially after the previous hassle I had with a Volvo gateway.

Ok - so a single unit provides the info for both engines? If the case then that’s pretty good as I assumed you would need one device per engine (I only have a single in mine)

Cheers

jrudge

Visit site
I sent a link to this thread to Yacht Devices

The contact is agorlach@yachtdevices.com

His reply was ....

in your case one gateway reports two engines, but you use J1939 gateway it supports up to 8 engines. A J1708 gateway support one engine only, and two gateways are required in case of two KAD engines.

The system is good and they are very helpful by email. Happy wiring !

simonfraser

Visit site
looks like you can do this via wifi to your ipad too:

- YDES-04 engine gateway
https://www.yachtd.com/products/j1708_gateway.html

This device will get the J1708 data from the engine and convert them to NMEA 2000 data.

You can connect YDES-04 to a 2-pin diagnostic connector (located in the engine's junction box).
Please refer to http://www.yachtd.com/products/j1708_gateway.html picture 2,
"Diagnostics connector and wiring of Volvo Penta D12C-A MP" for a EDC connection example.

- NMEA 2000 Wi-Fi Gateway YDWG-02
https://www.yachtd.com/products/wifi_gateway.html

This device has an internal web-gauges page and will show NMEA 2000 data on any WiFi-capable device with a browser (PC/laptop/tablet/smartphone).

Check the web-gauges page for more information:
https://www.yachtd.com/products/web_gauges.html

and if i am going this way, any extra bits / sensors you'd add whilst its all apart ?

Last edited: