Custom made gaskets

Neeves

Visit site
How long have you been on this forum!!
A concise explanation is better than a ramble, long or short! :giggle:

I thought I did that - I asked what could I use as a peel coat for Sikaflex - and received lots of useful answers on gaskets and one answer on a peel coat (for a total of approximately 15 posts).

Jonathan

Neeves

Visit site
I have been using 'wet area silicone' locally made in Australia. I took Roger's advice and made 4 gaskets from silicone, rather than Sika. I had some 2mm ply to use as a spacer and two sheets of ply one beneath on one on top. I marked the gaskets onto the greaseproof paper and extruded, as it turned out, more than sufficient. Weighted the top piece of ply with 2kg of lead and allowed to set off.

The greaseproof worked well, the silicone less so. It lacks strength.

The gaskets came out well - but when they are ever so slightly compressed they 'extrude' too easily.

Next time - Sikaflex.

Jonathan

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I have in all my engineering life(54 years) been able to produce gaskets with a 8oz ballpein hammer without destroying anything, it just takes a little practice.
My daughter used to cut all my paper gaskets using these methods from the age of about 8. She was very precise and produced beautifully made gaskets. In those days we were using brown paper or stencil paper for thicker ones but I now know that old charts are excellent for the job.