Buying boat with no sailing experience. How feasible is my plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenous

Visit site
Maybe watch catching_currents videos on YouTube. They started off knowing nothing, with no experience and are now sailing as liveaboards. They were and are and a very tight budget.
But still managed to do rya day skipper courses, lay up their boat and take the time to learn to sail and maintain her before they set off.

DownWest

Visit site
Just curious about the fishing..
Having caught your big tuna, what do you then do with it? Without much room or a (BIG) fridge freezer, do you ust eat a bit and chuck most away? Cure it?

Wansworth

Visit site
After reading the posting here I am a bit taken back ,
Am I the only one who thinks that someone who never step a foot on a boat,
As plans of buying a yacht ,
spending a few months ths around the EU,
then Cross oceans , should just go Head and do it,
is this really good advise from people who are supposed to be yachtmens, the same yachtsmen that when we read some very inexperienced guy in a boat had to be rescue are then moaning that its the kind of thing that will bring compulsory licences and people having to risk their life for these idiots.

Taken back is an understatement, not one suggestion of taken some kind of training.
Or at the very less get so e experience with friends/ sailing club , No instead the advise seen to be learn as you go alone , look at YouTube video .

OK no disrespect to the OP I lost Count of how many pipe dreamsers that's been posted on these fourm that came to anything , actually I can't think of one who ever posted back to say he actually brought a boat let alone sailed off into the sunset , maybe the OP will prove me wrong.

On another note , I have taken may flights and in the early days sat in the cockpit to watch the pilot fly , Don't seen its that hard , now thinking of buying a light plane to fly around the world , any views guys .
I was thinking of posting this on a flying forum but I have a feeling I get laught at lol ?
A friend of mine who had done some sailing on a lake years ago decided he would like to buy a yacht and cruise about the Spanish rias where he lived.Not taking my advice about getting a dinghy exec etc he bought a nic 32 I gave him some pointers to howto reef and anchour .Well he did alright taking it out cautiously from the marina within a few weeks he was off cruising with no real problems.Isailed with him a few years after and he showed all the skills needed and was quite happy with all that needed to be done to maintain a seagoing. boat

Doge

Visit site
Just curious about the fishing..
Having caught your big tuna, what do you then do with it? Without much room or a (BIG) fridge freezer, do you ust eat a bit and chuck most away? Cure it?
I could look into preserving it. Not something I've done before but it would be something worth learning. I could sell it potentially. Particularly if I were near Japan as they pay a lot for tuna. My friends mum actually runs an izakaya (restaurant/bar) so that may actually be realistic. I once went diving for seaweed with said friend for the bar and ate an octopus my friend caught. If I didn't have a plan and it was too big id just release it.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
A friend of mine who had done some sailing on a lake years ago decided he would like to buy a yacht and cruise about the Spanish rias where he lived.Not taking my advice about getting a dinghy exec etc he bought a nic 32 I gave him some pointers to howto reef and anchour .Well he did alright taking it out cautiously from the marina within a few weeks he was off cruising with no real problems.Isailed with him a few years after and he showed all the skills needed and was quite happy with all that needed to be done to maintain a seagoing. boat
I have no doubt some with a little experience can go off into the sun set ,
If you read my earlier posting we have Belgium friend who did just that , but the fact is and they admin them self there luck to be alive the amount of time they been rescued.
But if you listen to them tell strangers they story it changes to some wonderful experience only given the good bits,
With all the gages on the market ant one can push a few button and follow a line.
But when the brown stuff hits the fan and if your crusing off shore at some point it will happen and not just once two things are going to safe your life , experience or luck.
And a lot of the time you need both .
Edit
Please just read what's being posted ,

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
After reading the posting here I am a bit taken back ,
Am I the only one who thinks that someone who never step a foot on a boat,
As plans of buying a yacht ,
spending a few months ths around the EU,
then Cross oceans , should just go Head and do it,
is this really good advise from people who are supposed to be yachtmens, the same yachtsmen that when we read some very inexperienced guy in a boat had to be rescue are then moaning that its the kind of thing that will bring compulsory licences and people having to risk their life for these idiots.

Taken back is an understatement, not one suggestion of taken some kind of training.
Or at the very less get so e experience with friends/ sailing club , No instead the advise seen to be learn as you go alone , look at YouTube video .

OK no disrespect to the OP I lost Count of how many pipe dreamsers that's been posted on these fourm that came to anything , actually I can't think of one who ever posted back to say he actually brought a boat let alone sailed off into the sunset , maybe the OP will prove me wrong.

On another note , I have taken may flights and in the early days sat in the cockpit to watch the pilot fly , Don't seen its that hard , now thinking of buying a light plane to fly around the world , any views guys .
I was thinking of posting this on a flying forum but I have a feeling I get laught at lol ?
Vic, like you we have a bit of sailing under our belts.

From the outset, I have followed this thread with interest. Rather than reality, I view it as a flight into fantasy, reaching ever greater heights.

The title of the thread asks iit this feasible? One word answer - NO.

Not able to afford transiting the Panama Canal, contemplating navigating Drake’s Channel (#37), rather reinforces my opinion of dangerous delusions.

Perchance to dream, it is interesting to hear the dreams and advice of others - however batty.?

Reality will come to the rescue and keep such people safe in inland waterways and their armchairs.????

Last edited:

Doge

Visit site
Vic, like you we have a bit of sailing under our belts. From the outset, I have followed this thread with interest and rather than reality, I view it as a flight of fantasy, reaching ever greater heights.

The title of the thread asks iit this feasible? One word answer - NO.

Not able to afford transiting the Panama Canal, contemplating navigating Drake’s Channel (#37), rather reinforces my opinion of dangerous delusions.

Perchance to dream, it is interesting to hear the dreams and advice of others - however batty.?

Reality will come to the rescue and keep such people safe.????

Well the wikipedia page for circumnavigation routes says that round south America is the "yacht racing route". The reason for the thread is to improve my plans. Panama canal is too expensive so now its Drakes Channel. Drakes Channel... I've half a mind just to navigate it anyway even if there's a better route just so I can say that I did. And on the way back round I'll navigate the cape of good hope. :)

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Well the wikipedia page for circumnavigation routes says that round south America is the "yacht racing route". The reason for the thread is to improve my plans. Panama canal is too expensive so now its Drakes Channel. Drakes Channel... I've half a mind just to navigate it anyway even if there's a better route just so I can say that I did. And on the way back round I'll navigate the cape of good hope. :)
Ok you now having a laugh ,
Good wind up .

Doge

Visit site
Ok you now having a laugh ,
Good wind up .
And I bet that's exactly what everyone said to Drake.

Seriously though the Wikipedia page says its the yacht racing route. Hence why it seems an appropriate route for my racing cruiser. Obviously I intend to research everything further before actually setting off. As I say, the point of the thread is to develop my plans. People do circumnavigate in Vegas.

Kelpie

Visit site
Looks like it will be around south America then. The Sadlers better insulation might be useful...

I wonder if it would be possible to actually save money by going round the horn, by the time you'd factored in the extra time (=more berthing fees, more food, more fuel, more immigration fees) and the extra miles under the keel (= more bits of boat broken). And if you aren't planning on high latitudes sailing, you may need to think about extra equipment or upgrades on the boat.

Last I heard Panama was around £1500 for a small boat. I suspect it would be infinitely more pleasant to do another month or two at work and save up the money, than to spend several months trying to round the horn. But hey what do I know,

Kelpie

Visit site
I could look into preserving it. Not something I've done before but it would be something worth learning. I could sell it potentially. Particularly if I were near Japan as they pay a lot for tuna. My friends mum actually runs an izakaya (restaurant/bar) so that may actually be realistic. I once went diving for seaweed with said friend for the bar and ate an octopus my friend caught. If I didn't have a plan and it was too big id just release it.

And if you catch your monster fish when you are three weeks from land? Would be a crying shame to waste it.

By the way I don't know the specific rules for Japan but I highly doubt that an amateur could just sell a fish on the market like that. In this part of the world any fish that enters the food chain needs to have documentation proving that it was caught by a legally registered vessel.

Wansworth

Visit site
In any exploit there is a factor or fantasy or dreaming and planning but in the final analysis a certain amount of courage is needed to let go the shore.Mike Saunders with his family consulted Hiscock when they got in a fix off Africa ifI recall.What has made things easier is electronics no Fandango with sextant etc etc so one of the weeding out hurdles has been removed.And does it really matter whether this would be Slocum ups anchour or remains lashed to the pontoon after his first rush with the elements,sailing is probably the last activity not controlled so let’s see how he gets on

Doge

Visit site
I wonder if it would be possible to actually save money by going round the horn, by the time you'd factored in the extra time (=more berthing fees, more food, more fuel, more immigration fees) and the extra miles under the keel (= more bits of boat broken). And if you aren't planning on high latitudes sailing, you may need to think about extra equipment or upgrades on the boat.

Last I heard Panama was around £1500 for a small boat. I suspect it would be infinitely more pleasant to do another month or two at work and save up the money, than to spend several months trying to round the horn. But hey what do I know,
Hmm. Well the post I was responding to said it would be more than the value of the boat, and my budget is up to £10,000. I wouldnt pay that to go through a canal irrespective of whether I could afford to or not.

I'm rather interested in this Drakes passage though.. I mean by the time I got that far I would have considerable experience under my belt. I've just found some information about a Vega called Berserk that made the trip..

I'm planning on naming my boat Tetra after the pirate in Zelda: Wind Waker. It reflects the spirit in which I intend to set sail. In search of adventure.

Doge

Visit site
And if you catch your monster fish when you are three weeks from land? Would be a crying shame to waste it.

By the way I don't know the specific rules for Japan but I highly doubt that an amateur could just sell a fish on the market like that. In this part of the world any fish that enters the food chain needs to have documentation proving that it was caught by a legally registered vessel.
Well again that's something I'd have to research further. Curing it might be the better option. Or just releasing it. The fight would be awesome. I've caught big barbel before but nothing even remotely in big tuna league.

Kelpie

Visit site
Hmm. Well the post I was responding to said it would be more than the value of the boat, and my budget is up to £10,000. I wouldnt pay that to go through a canal irrespective of whether I could afford to or not.

I'm rather interested in this Drakes passage though.. I mean by the time I got that far I would have considerable experience under my belt. I've just found some information about a Vega called Berserk that made the trip..

I'm planning on naming my boat Tetra after the pirate in Zelda: Wind Waker. It reflects the spirit in which I intend to set sail. In search of adventure.

"In February 2011, during Andhøy's Antarctic expedition, Berserk sank in Antarctica with the loss of three crew"- Wikipedia

Admittedly this was the second, larger, steel hulled Berserk. But yeah, great role models!

Check out Matt Rutherford for a slightly more responsible Vega adventure.

nortada

Visit site
And I bet that's exactly what everyone said to Drake.

Seriously though the Wikipedia page says its the yacht racing route. Hence why it seems an appropriate route for my racing cruiser. Obviously I intend to research everything further before actually setting off. As I say, the point of the thread is to develop my plans. People do circumnavigate in Vegas.

In 1578, the Panama Canal didn’t exist so around the Cape was Drake’s only option and most didn’t know of the Strait of Magellan to opine a point of view.

Additionally, having been sailing since 1558, by 1578 Drake, (like Vic and unlike the OP) had a lot of sailing experience and the Golden Hind was a tadge bit bigger than a Vega.

Last edited:

Doge

Visit site
In 1578, the Panama Canal didn’t exist so around the Cape was Drakes only option and as most didn’t know of the Strait of Magellan to opine a point of view.

Additionally, having been sailing since 1558, by 1578 Drake, (like Vic and unlike the OP) had a lot of sailing experience and the Golden Hind was a bit bigger than a Vega.
Ok so I've updated my plan. From the Atlantic to the Pacific via the Strait of Magellan to gain a lot of sailing experience in the western pacific.

Status
Not open for further replies.