Buying boat with no sailing experience. How feasible is my plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doug748

Visit site
Hi,

So I'm planning on buying a small racing cruiser next spring. I have no sailing experience at all. How feasible would it be for me to just learn how to sail just by doing it? How hard is it for a beginner? The sort of thing most people could probably figure out? Should I get a book or are proper lessons an absolute must?

I'm hoping to spend next summer sailing around Europe, so nothing too heavy in terms of conditions, and hopefully ill be ready for an Atlantic crossing by winter.

Check this out before doing anything urgent:

YouTube merry go round.

It seems big trips are not as easy as they sometimes look.

goeasy123

Visit site
Here's how to fish of a sailboat....
It's not very sophisticated, but if you want to get OCD about it buy The Cruisers Handbook of Fishing by Bannerot and Bannerot.

Don't waste your time dingy sailing. it's nothing like big(er) boat sailing and you're going to get wet and cold. A good way to learn is binge watch a few sailing channels from the beginning and take notes of what did and didn't work. Tarka was good, but they were way too ahead of the game for you. Try these...

Bums on a Boat.... this is the best. Zero experience/zero budget/tons of fun.
Wildings sailing.... even less experience/less that zero budget/even more fun.
Sailing Project Atticus.... Started at a low base... now very competent and well traveled.
Free Range Sailing... Small boat. This is the smartest guy on the planet when it comes to boats.
See the little things.... Zero... straight into circumnavigation.
Sailing Millennial Falcon.... Zero to Caribbean in a few short years
Sailing ABSea... mentioned above
Sailing the Far Side.... You won't learn much. I'm saying nothing!!

There are also a raft of instructional videos when you want to know how to do something specific.

Join the Cruising Association for instant personal help. They have reps all around the world that will help you out when you get stuck. You can use their crewing service, for free, to go and get some sailing exposure with experience people. This way you don't have to pay for sailing instructors, you get a lot more sailing time and it's more sociable.

You'll need 3rd party insurance to get into Marinas and a VHF SRO license is the only qualification you absolutely need. We did an RYA Day Skipper Course, but didn't learn much from it. We needed it 'cause we wanted to charter a boat and the company insisted we had the qualification.

(written on our boat from Cala D'es Torrent, Ibiza on our way to Tahiti, by a couple that did it this way)

V1701

Visit site
Look for a boat that already has windvane steering because they're so expensive new and rarely come up second hand. You'll need it for long distance. A Vega would be a good choice, I had one (V1701!) & also know of one that has everything you need and which might well be coming up for sale soon...

edit - a boat that's not on it's original 40 or 50 plus year old engine would be good as well...

Last edited:

Doge

Visit site
Check this out before doing anything urgent:

YouTube merry go round.

It seems big trips are not as easy as they sometimes look.

Lol. I'm not so worried about thin places and other dimensions... Giant waves, pirates etc are risks I've thought through and am comfortable with. I do like the idea of the Sadler's unsinkability, just as it would mean I could have more confidence.

I really appreciate all the replies and advice. The fishing thing is just because it's a hobby I pursue on land and so will be something I'm always able to do while sailing as opposed to reading or other activities that people do.

I'd not thought about insurance. Doesn't look too expensive though from a quick google. I'll certainly be looking for a boat that already has a windvein as suggested and joining the cruising association too.

Nice to have some reading and viewing to keep me engaged until next spring! :)

Kelpie

Visit site
My first yacht was a Vega, definitely a good choice which will look after you. If it's just yourself then you should have enough space. It's kind of like camping, you need to be a bit minimalist.

I've also sailed on a Sadler 26. On paper there's not much to choose between them. In precise I found the Sadler had much less stowage, thanks to the double skin. It's also got a less robust rig without fore and aft lowers. Feels like a big dinghy rig IMHO. But a good one would still do what you want. Vega is likely cheaper anyway.

Sailing, as in making the boat go approximately on the direction you want, is not hard. You could almost write down the basics on a post-it, and you can get the hang of it on half an hour.
Doing it safely and fixing the bits that break is where it gets much more difficult.
The biggest factor is the personality of the sailor. If you are bad at judging risk, if you are careless, or blasé, you will probably find things a bit harder, or at least have some more close shaves.

Doge

Visit site
My first yacht was a Vega, definitely a good choice which will look after you. If it's just yourself then you should have enough space. It's kind of like camping, you need to be a bit minimalist.

I've also sailed on a Sadler 26. On paper there's not much to choose between them. In precise I found the Sadler had much less stowage, thanks to the double skin. It's also got a less robust rig without fore and aft lowers. Feels like a big dinghy rig IMHO. But a good one would still do what you want. Vega is likely cheaper anyway.

Sailing, as in making the boat go approximately on the direction you want, is not hard. You could almost write down the basics on a post-it, and you can get the hang of it on half an hour.
Doing it safely and fixing the bits that break is where it gets much more difficult.
The biggest factor is the personality of the sailor. If you are bad at judging risk, if you are careless, or blasé, you will probably find things a bit harder, or at least have some more close shaves.
Thanks for the insights. Do you have any experience of the other Sadlers? I notice there are several in smaller sizes yet the Sadler 26 seems to be mentioned most often as an alternative to the Vega. I'm leaning towards the Vega but who knows what will be available when I'm ready to buy. I don't want to decide now and so stop looking into alternatives.

Kelpie

Visit site
The 25 (and rarer 27) would also be worth considering. I've briefly been aboard a 27, it's slightly roomier than a Vega, has a more conventional underwater profile. I believe the 25 is a bit smaller.
The other Sadlers are all much larger. The 29 is big for its length and tends to be in a different price bracket. I did nearly buy a 32, but again different league in price and size.

Kelpie

Visit site
. I don't want to decide now and so stop looking into alternatives.

This is exactly the right attitude :)
Set a budget, see what's out there, try to estimate what it will cost to bring each boat up to spec so you can meaningfully compare them.

Do not fall in love with one specific design. All boat designs are compromises, there are very few 'bad' boats.

dk

Visit site
Lol. I take that to mean you think some part of my plan is outrageously unfeasible. I saw some people take a Vega called Tarka through the Panama canal on youtube. Maybe a tuna would pull such a small boat about?
I’d just like to point out that the cost of going through the Panama Canal will be more than your boat’s worth! Read some books and take your Day Skipper - it will be invaluable to you. Spend half your budget on the boat, the other half on gear.

TNLI

Visit site
Also I wonder about fishing from a small sailboat. It looks as though its not ideal. Lots of ropes and things to get in the way of casting. Is it possible to fish for bigger fish like tuna from a small sailboat?

I'm looking at the Albin Vega mainly and the Sadler 26. My main concern is seaworthiness but also speed. I'm not so concerned about headroom inside and things like that. As I say I intend to cross the Atlantic. After that I plan to go through the Panama canal and across the Pacific. Is there other boats that would fit the bill? My maximum budget is 10k but if I could get something cheaper it would be great.

I did 3 North Atlantic crossings in a Pacific Seacraft Dana 24, one of the best seaworthy boats around. You will get what you pay for from a small boat, Forget about the speed side of things, and make sure it has a real good donkey, as the Pacific does tend to be a tad on the light winded side of life. I don't like motoring too much, as I regard the 1000 miles of diesel I carried in my Van Der Stadt 34 (Steel amateur build) as a type of insurance policy, so it took me 43 days to sail and drift from Balboa in Panama to Hiva Oha in the Frog Polynesian islands. Don't go if an El Nino is forecast, as you can get a lot of adverse winds, AND out of season typhoons. Most of the anchorages are open to some extent, so you will be at risk the whole trip. Best South Pacific Oscillation forecast is for a La Nina, which results in good trades. Alas I got an average year, even though the forecast was initially for a La Nina. Something of a sail flogging trip until Fiji as a result.

You can fish for bigger fish from a small boat, BUT tow it in, don't try and boat it or you could easily damage the boat or crew. I towed a 150kg Blue Marlin behind a 21ft Sunseeker day cab in Puerto Mogan once!

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
I've lived on a Vega with my wife for a year. it was fine, but only in a warm climate!

There's only about 5' 7"headroom in the saloon though, which was fine for us as we were both short, but might be a problem for you. A Halcyon 27 is a very simiilar boat with more headroom, though they come up less often. I know one couple who circumnavigated in one.

For me one of the big things ab out the Vega as a liveaboard for a couple was a decent double in the forepeak which could be left as a bedroom permanently. If you need to sleep in the saloon dismantling the bed every morning and remantling it in the evening can be a bit of a PITA

Vega checklist if you want one ready to go:

~ Engine less than 15 years old
~ Mast step reinforced
~ Windvane (or be sure you can get one to suit at a price you can afford)
~ Rigging less than 15 years old or if n ot sure replace it
~ Two (minimum) decent new gen SHHP anchors and two anchor rodes
~ Allow for the cost of a liferaft and EPIRB

Extras you will IMO need:
~ AIS transponder
~ Solar panels

- W

doug748

Visit site
Lol. I'm not so worried about thin places and other dimensions... Giant waves, pirates etc are risks I've thought through and am comfortable with. I do like the idea of the Sadler's unsinkability, just as it would mean I could have more confidence.

I really appreciate all the replies and advice. The fishing thing is just because it's a hobby I pursue on land and so will be something I'm always able to do while sailing as opposed to reading or other activities that people do.

I'd not thought about insurance. Doesn't look too expensive though from a quick google. I'll certainly be looking for a boat that already has a windvein as suggested and joining the cruising association too.

Nice to have some reading and viewing to keep me engaged until next spring! :)

I saw a Sadler 25 and 26 moored alongside each other once and was able to see them from above. It's quite striking how much bigger the 26 is and the extra accommodation, at this size range, is always handy even when sailing alone. The unsinkability can save you carrying a liferaft, if it suits.
I have sailed both and always felt the 26 was the sharper performer. You mention racing .......in which case you might feel the 26 bilge keelers were a bit steady for your needs.
The Vega goes very well.

Wansworth

Visit site
I did 3 North Atlantic crossings in a Pacific Seacraft Dana 24, one of the best seaworthy boats around. You will get what you pay for from a small boat, Forget about the speed side of things, and make sure it has a real good donkey, as the Pacific does tend to be a tad on the light winded side of life. I don't like motoring too much, as I regard the 1000 miles of diesel I carried in my Van Der Stadt 34 (Steel amateur build) as a type of insurance policy, so it took me 43 days to sail and drift from Balboa in Panama to Hiva Oha in the Frog Polynesian islands. Don't go if an El Nino is forecast, as you can get a lot of adverse winds, AND out of season typhoons. Most of the anchorages are open to some extent, so you will be at risk the whole trip. Best South Pacific Oscillation forecast is for a La Nina, which results in good trades. Alas I got an average year, even though the forecast was initially for a La Nina. Something of a sail flogging trip until Fiji as a result.

You can fish for bigger fish from a small boat, BUT tow it in, don't try and boat it or you could easily damage the boat or crew. I towed a 150kg Blue Marlin behind a 21ft Sunseeker day cab in Puerto Mogan once!
Always wanted a Dana 24,friend has one in Vigo,bought it off an American when he landed inSpain

sailaboutvic

Visit site
After reading the posting here I am a bit taken back ,
Am I the only one who thinks that someone who never step a foot on a boat,
As plans of buying a yacht ,
spending a few months ths around the EU,
then Cross oceans , should just go Head and do it,
is this really good advise from people who are supposed to be yachtmens, the same yachtsmen that when we read some very inexperienced guy in a boat had to be rescue are then moaning that its the kind of thing that will bring compulsory licences and people having to risk their life for these idiots.

Taken back is an understatement, not one suggestion of taken some kind of training.
Or at the very less get so e experience with friends/ sailing club , No instead the advise seen to be learn as you go alone , look at YouTube video .

OK no disrespect to the OP I lost Count of how many pipe dreamsers that's been posted on these fourm that came to anything , actually I can't think of one who ever posted back to say he actually brought a boat let alone sailed off into the sunset , maybe the OP will prove me wrong.

On another note , I have taken may flights and in the early days sat in the cockpit to watch the pilot fly , Don't seen its that hard , now thinking of buying a light plane to fly around the world , any views guys .
I was thinking of posting this on a flying forum but I have a feeling I get laught at lol ?

Last edited:

Doge

Visit site
I’d just like to point out that the cost of going through the Panama Canal will be more than your boat’s worth! Read some books and take your Day Skipper - it will be invaluable to you. Spend half your budget on the boat, the other half on gear.
Looks like it will be around south America then. The Sadlers better insulation might be useful...

Doge

Visit site

Wow! Marlins are Amazing. I once saw I video where a guy caught one on a small fishing board type thing and it pulled him right out to sea. He had to call his friends to sail out after him. I'd love to catch one of those.

Doge

Visit site
After reading the posting here I am a bit taken back ,
Am I the only one who thinks that someone who never step a foot on a boat,
As plans of buying a yacht ,
spending a few months ths around the EU,
then Cross oceans , should just go Head and do it,
is this really good advise from people who are supposed to be yachtmens, the same yachtsmen that when we read some very inexperienced guy in a boat had to be rescue are then moaning that its the kind of thing that will bring compulsory licences and people having to risk their life for these idiots.

Taken back is an understatement, not one suggestion of taken some kind of training.
Or at the very less get so e experience with friends/ sailing club , No instead the advise seen to be learn as you go alone , look at YouTube video .

OK no disrespect to the OP I lost Count of how many pipe dreamsers that's been posted on these fourm that came to anything , actually I can't think of one who ever posted back to say he actually brought a boat let alone sailed off into the sunset , maybe the OP will prove me wrong.

On another note , I have taken may flights and in the early days sat in the cockpit to watch the pilot fly , Don't seen its that hard , now thinking of buying a light plane to fly around the world , any views guys .
I was thinking of posting this on a flying forum but I have a feeling I get laught at lol ?
I'm pretty certain I will prove you wrong. Can't be certain of my schedule because it depends on some other stuff but I'm sure its what I want to do. It just fits together so well for me. I've always loved being in and around water. I was always in the sea as a kid, even when the water was so cold I'd be the only person who was. I swam two miles when I was eleven and am an avid angler. I can't actually believe I never thought of doing this before but I've been busy with other things. I was living in Japan until a few years ago, have friends there and speak the language, another reason why I intend to sail to the West Pacific. I'm at home in Japan and can further explore the region. New Zealand has such excellent trout fishing and there's the great barrier reef. I did a little scuba diving in my late teens too.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I'm pretty certain I will prove you wrong. Can't be certain of my schedule because it depends on some other stuff but I'm sure its what I want to do. It just fits together so well for me. I've always loved being in and around water. I was always in the sea as a kid, even when the water was so cold I'd be the only person who was. I swam two miles when I was eleven and am an avid angler. I can't actually believe I never thought of doing this before but I've been busy with other things. I was living in Japan until a few years ago, have friends there and speak the language, another reason why I intend to sail to the West Pacific. I'm at home in Japan and can further explore the region. New Zealand has such excellent trout fishing and there's the great barrier reef. I did a little scuba diving in my late teens too.
You may very well prove me wrong , so I look forward to you given me and everyone else here who taken there time to respond to your posting .
a progress posting .

Status
Not open for further replies.