Buying boat with no sailing experience. How feasible is my plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sailaboutvic

Visit site

You make a very interesting point about the training. As a one-time flight instructor I've got to say that if they taught people how to fly aircraft the way they teach people how to sail boats a lot of people would die.
I truly think people do die sailing boats , disappear never to be heard from again ,
injured them self and others because they have not training.
I also know of many boats that's been damage sunk by others who have no idea what they are doing .
You only got to look at some where like the Ionian and every day you see the most unbelievable carry on by people who only skill they have is how to start an engine .

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Obviously you need to learn how to do that properly too if you only have a £10k budget…

Only £10k and write £1k off for insurance, survey and a few days in a marina.

I bought a boat with practically no experience, just comp crew course but got on-board tuition for a week long day skipper course sail from Hamble to Conwy. It was a year later before we risked a 60 mile trip to Isle of Man. Until starting to sail, I didn't know many of the questions to ask.

st599

Visit site
Hi,

So I'm planning on buying a small racing cruiser next spring. I have no sailing experience at all. How feasible would it be for me to just learn how to sail just by doing it? How hard is it for a beginner? The sort of thing most people could probably figure out? Should I get a book or are proper lessons an absolute must?

I'm hoping to spend next summer sailing around Europe, so nothing too heavy in terms of conditions, and hopefully ill be ready for an Atlantic crossing by winter.

What are your plans for dealing with the Schengen Shuffle if you don't hold an EU passport? If you're starting in the UK, it's quite a hike in a small boat round to the Adriatic (now that Gibraltar is in Schengen) or are you planning on popping in to Africa?

I would also check Noonsite to see what paperwork you need to amass for your intended route and any diversions.

Doge

Visit site
Only £10k and write £1k off for insurance, survey and a few days in a marina.

I bought a boat with practically no experience, just comp crew course but got on-board tuition for a week long day skipper course sail from Hamble to Conwy. It was a year later before we risked a 60 mile trip to Isle of Man. Until starting to sail, I didn't know many of the questions to ask.
I'm planning on living aboard and sailing every day though. So my year of preparation will be much more intensive than normal. I may do the day skipper thing though I'll have to look at cost.

10k is the maximum budget. I'm hoping to get one for less. 5k - 7k would be ideal. Many Vegas have asking prices in that range so I figure I could find a really good one and negotiate.

Last edited:

Doge

Visit site
What are your plans for dealing with the Schengen Shuffle if you don't hold an EU passport? If you're starting in the UK, it's quite a hike in a small boat round to the Adriatic (now that Gibraltar is in Schengen) or are you planning on popping in to Africa?

I would also check Noonsite to see what paperwork you need to amass for your intended route and any diversions.
I've looked into this a little. From what I gather the done thing is to fly a flag with a Q on it when you arrive in a country. You then have to register when you arrive. Youtube videos don't give the impression that its difficult. I've seen videos where they talk about their expenses, moorings etc, and they aren't that much. I'm thinking ill anchor more than pay for moorings. Or be in open sea. I'll only really need to go ashore for supplies. There's Tarka video's where they anchored in the jungle or in remote locations living of rainwater. I'm not planning on hanging round marinas and will certainly collect rainwater and catch lots of fish.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
I'm planning on living aboard and sailing every day though. So my year of preparation will be much more intensive than normal. I may do the day skipper thing though I'll have to look at cost.

May be better to spend your money on own boat instruction than a day skipper practical when you share command time with others. Certainly you should do the shore based theory course.

syvictoria

Visit site
I've looked into this a little. From what I gather the done thing is to fly a flag with a Q on it when you arrive in a country. You then have to register when you arrive. Youtube videos don't give the impression that its difficult. I've seen videos where they talk about their expenses, moorings etc, and they aren't that much. I'm thinking ill anchor more than pay for moorings. Or be in open sea. I'll only really need to go ashore for supplies. There's Tarka video's where they anchored in the jungle or in remote locations living of rainwater. I'm not planning on hanging round marinas and will certainly collect rainwater and catch lots of fish.

In another thread you wrote:

I have the same issue. I need to be online at all times. Are you guys aware of the rugged Starlink kit SpaceX is developing? Googling will bring it up. Its specifically designed to be fitted to boats and other vehicles and will withstand harsh conditions. With this it will be possible to have internet access even in the middle of oceans. Starlink is in beta testing right now and is very expensive and not very fast but the finished product will surely be the perfect solution.

My bold above. You may unfortunately struggle to achieve both, particularly with a limited budget!

Doge

Visit site
In another thread you wrote:

My bold above. You may unfortunately struggle to achieve both, particularly with a limited budget!
I need to be online because I'll be relying on crypto for income. Hopefully the starlink should pay for its self. I think it should be coming online just as I need it to be. During the first year I'll likely be relying on phone signals but will never be too far from land so it should be ok. Obviously the particulars of this can be worked on later. Internet access is certainly a priority for me.

Last edited:

st599

Visit site

I suggest you look up what the Schengen agreement is.

Doge

Visit site
Is this a not terribly elaborate wind-up? In years gone by certain Scuttlebutt denizens did indulge in such things, but they did it much better.
Its not. My comment about Jarle Andhoy was intended to be a little bit just because people were telling me I needed to be a commando before I could go sailing but aside from that these really are my plans. I don't really get why you think its a windup to be honest. Doing what I plan to do is clearly not uncommon.

pandos

Visit site
Hi,

So I'm planning on buying a small racing cruiser next spring. I have no sailing experience at all. How feasible would it be for me to just learn how to sail just by doing it? How hard is it for a beginner? The sort of thing most people could probably figure out? Should I get a book or are proper lessons an absolute must?

I'm hoping to spend next summer sailing around Europe, so nothing too heavy in terms of conditions, and hopefully ill be ready for an Atlantic crossing by winter.
I learned to sail along with a friend of mine without any experience just two of us on a small boat...several times we were nearly drowned and I am still a terrible sailor so perhaps do some courses and learn properly before developing any bad habits...

Doge

Visit site
You guys think I should re-enforce my hull given that I'm likely to crash into so many other boats due to my lack of training?

Doge

Visit site
I learned to sail along with a friend of mine without any experience just two of us on a small boat...several times we were nearly drowned and I am still a terrible sailor so perhaps do some courses and learn properly before developing any bad habits...
You guys would be better off as you were in the first few pages. I was actually paying attention to your advice there.. The book is on order and will be studying it over winter.

syvictoria

Visit site
I thought that was just the freedom of movement thing? Surely coming from outside Schengen would just be like arriving in any other non EU country?

If you only hold a UK passport, you will sadly be limited to 90/180 in the EU unless you arrange a long stay visa(s). Visas aren't widely available and often have tax implications and working restrictions, not to mention requirements such as an address.

st599

Visit site
I thought that was just the freedom of movement thing? Surely coming from outside Schengen would just be like arriving in any other non EU country?

It is, so you can only be within the Schengen bloc for 90 days in any rolling 180 day window. So that makes spending a summer sailing around Europe then getting ready for a winter Atlantic Crossing very difficult as you need to either aim for one of the Non-Schengen EU countries or North Africa.

Status
Not open for further replies.