Berthing in Corfu/Greece

G

We went sailing to Croatia last year and in all of the ports we berthed in we tied up stern first then used a static bow line. I have heard that in the Greek islands you berth up bow to the quay. Can anyone throw any light on the subject?
Regards all,
Pete (Cambridgeshire)

billskip

Visit site
you can bow to or stern to..depends on your anchor weight/recovery system ..but very few static lines available...if you chuck the pick over the back and go in thin bit first..it may be a bit of hard work pulling cable and anchor up over back end when you leave.....most(except those that can eat 3 wheatabix) go in stern to

Bill
www.aegeansailing.co.uk

www.macsyachting.com

G

Re: Long keelers

Sorry I must disagree. I find that a long keel is best berthed stern to. In Fare Well, 58' with bowsprit, we always berthed stern to often with two anchors out forard, but they were self stowing anchors. (Any yacht over 35 feet ought to have self stowing anchors nowadays. The days of lifting anchors over the bows and getting hernias are long since gone)

Hosanna is bigger and fitted specially with a large stream (stern) anchor, also self stowing. Both ways are valid. It is slightly more difficult to back into a berth, but it is also more difficult to back out of one, in both cases if the wind is strong and on the beam. Go into some quiet spot and have a bit of secret practice.

William Cooper