Bad weather

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I can only feel sadness and sorrow for them who lost their boats especially if it was also there home , which would be 100 times worst then just a holiday boat ,
I know we be devastated.
And I sure. Everyone wishes Paul all the Best and hope his insurance pays up without any problems .
I not going to be armchair sailor because it's only by the grace of god it could had happen to any of us .
But hopefully some will learn from this tragedy that mooring on that wall by the bridge in any strong winds isn't a good idea nor is lefkas quay , or come to that and lump of concrete,
where over the years we seen many a boat damage and sunk by the town quay , Mostly it ain't only the wind that cause the problem but the combination of the seas that can build up even in a very small area and pounding seas will destroy a boat very quickly . Especially where three side are Enclosed and the seas bounces from one side to the others and back again , as it is there with the beach, the old castle and the quay .
Best of luck Paul .

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Hopefully Paul was insured.

If it's the Paul I thinking off , he would had been insuraced as his boat is moored in the Marina over winter , what insurance he got is another thing , fingers cross he fully comp .
Hopefully the money rises will keep him going untill things get sorted out .

Chris_Robb

Visit site
This photograph was uploaded to several Greek news sites without indicating the exact place it was taken.
The article was reffering, among others, to several sunken or damaged yachts in the areas of Kalamata, Pylos, Mani, Ancient Epidavros and Corinth.
It also makes clear that no person was harmed or affected by these incidents.
The Port Police had only to safely disembark a 54 old German woman from a yacht under German flag in Kalamata.

Following are the links in English (not full article) http://www.ekathimerini.com/233116/...-in-mediterranean-brings-heavy-rain-to-greece
and Greek (revised full article) http://www.kathimerini.gr/987391/ga...---treis-agnooymenoi-sto-mantoydi-fwtografies

I'm Greek living in Athens. If I can help in any way I can, just tell me so.

Panos Andronikos

Panos - on another matter, the Cruising Association would like some occasional help in translating the letters from the Ministry - on various matters - such as the DEKPA. The last one we had on Fines, Putting Out of Use and early stamping, we helpfully got a translation from our contact - unfortunately it did not mention the putting out of use - where as Googles translation did! Anyway it was confirmed when I went to the Port Police in Evia - Loutra Edipsou, where I was going to get my boat put out of use - not sure when I will be back. I showed the copy of the letter that had gone to all Port Police to them - and they rang up the ministry and following a 20 minute conversation, they agreed that all I had outlined was correct. My boat is now Out of Use - almost as easy as early stamping - but a far more resilient way, as early stamping can often create problems on timing the next year.

It would be very helpful to have a Greek speaker helping translation - especially someone who has an idea of the existing regulations.

I will send you a PM with my contact details

Pasarell

Visit site
If it's the Paul I thinking off , he would had been insuraced as his boat is moored in the Marina over winter , what insurance he got is another thing , fingers cross he fully comp .
Hopefully the money rises will keep him going untill things get sorted out .

He's insured but only 3rd Party. The boat that came down onto him is owned by a Swedish consortium and he has to hope their insurers are easy to deal with. Today he's talking to his own insurer about pollution risk

Resolution

Visit site
He's insured but only 3rd Party. The boat that came down onto him is owned by a Swedish consortium and he has to hope their insurers are easy to deal with. Today he's talking to his own insurer about pollution risk

One must feel sympathy for Paul for the loss of his yacht (and the others involved). But it does concentrate the mind on insurance - what risks are you covering and what type of insurance is appropriate. Obviously one would be very foolish not to have third party cover, as in today's world a small error could lead to a very big claim for damages from someone else. But if the asset (the yacht in this case) is precious to you and its replacement cost is more than you could easily afford out of liquid assets, then you are bonkers not to seek comprehensive cover.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
One must feel sympathy for Paul for the loss of his yacht (and the others involved). But it does concentrate the mind on insurance - what risks are you covering and what type of insurance is appropriate. Obviously one would be very foolish not to have third party cover, as in today's world a small error could lead to a very big claim for damages from someone else. But if the asset (the yacht in this case) is precious to you and its replacement cost is more than you could easily afford out of liquid assets, then you are bonkers not to seek comprehensive cover.

putting Paul case to one side , as I don*t wish to talk about this case ,
I am amazed how many people only have third party insurance some with very expenses yacht , I can only imagine the reason is because of personally circumstance they cant get FC insurance , surly if a boat only valve say 10 or 20 k how much can a FC insurance cost ?

Chris_Robb

Visit site
putting Paul case to one side , as I don*t wish to talk about this case ,
I am amazed how many people only have third party insurance some with very expenses yacht , I can only imagine the reason is because of personally circumstance they cant get FC insurance , surly if a boat only valve say 10 or 20 k how much can a FC insurance cost ?

The problem with a low value boat is that repair costs will eat into the insured value and it will be written off as a constructive total loss very easily.

Also - I believe that other insureres have said that it is not easy to chase for damages from another yacht in circumstance of a full scale storm - ie you would probably have to prove they were negligent and that was the direct cause - when the cause was actually the storm......

I dont know - but may be some one has a better idea.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
The problem with a low value boat is that repair costs will eat into the insured value and it will be written off as a constructive total loss very easily.

Also - I believe that other insureres have said that it is not easy to chase for damages from another yacht in circumstance of a full scale storm - ie you would probably have to prove they were negligent and that was the direct cause - when the cause was actually the storm......

I dont know - but may be some one has a better idea.

That may be , but if they had a fully comp insurance at. The very less they would get the valve the boat was insured for , rather then chasing the other party insurance thats If they have an insurance at all ,
Which only leave you having to sue the owner , and if the owner happen not to have any money then your on a losing battle before you start ,
Fully comp insurance on a low valve boat can't cost that much ,
when I compare it with what I pay for a high valve boat insurance ,
Surely it's worth paying that bit more for when something like this happen then ended up losing a boat you may not be able to replace .

Last edited:

Chris_Robb

Visit site
That may be , but if they had a fully comp insurance at. The very less they would get the valve the boat was insured for , rather then chasing the other party insurance thats If they have an insurance at all ,
Which only leave you having to sue the owner , and if the owner happen not to have any money then your on a losing battle before you start ,
Fully comp insurance on a low valve boat can't cost that much ,
when I compare it with what I pay for a high valve boat insurance ,
Surely it's worth paying that bit more for when something like this happen then ended up losing a boat you may not be able to replace .

Yes you are right - but not having tried to insure an older boat, there may be issues. Pretty well all now require a survey of some sort, and that may have been the block to him ( the cost).

Lets hope it has a happy ending for Paul.