Any tips, please, on using a cheap 3 legged puller?

Caraway

Visit site
If we heat to 110oC by the time the bearing has been taken off the heater armature, then slid over the end of the shaft and perhaps touched the cold shaft on its way down to its intended position they can stick before fully home.
Exactly what happened when a previous owner had a piston fitted to a con rod on my MG. They didn't manage to get it in the right spot and in trying to 'adjust' it damaged the little end piston bearing surface.
They were intended by BMC to be fitted cold using up to 5 tons pressure and a jig to locate the gudgeon pin in the right place.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I wouldn't try putting the new bearings on with the puller. If you pull on the outer bit you will likely damage the bearing.
+1 from me. I’ve overhauled one of these Volvo pumps and heat and cold is your friend as others have said. Don’t apply force to the outer bearing shell of the new bearing!

I was rebuilding a Landrover transfer gearbox a few weeks ago and some of the casings are simply put in the kitchen oven at 130 degrees to allow the bearings to drop straight in. In fact they’re then so easy to fit, one fell out before the casing cooled and I had to put it in a second time.