Another new Nordhavn

TwoHooter

Visit site
You can fit a folding helm seat (a friend has done that on his N40) but we can't be bothered. We are fair-weather coastal and offshore sailors, and we love fresh air, so we almost always prefer to be on the flybridge when underway. If it's raining and we have retreated to the wheelhouse we spend 50% of the time standing, Royal Navy fashion, and the other 50% on the bench seat where we have a good view of everything both outside and inside. No need to touch the helm except when docking or going through locks and at those times I am always on the flybridge to get an unimpeded 360 degree view. The rest of the time the boat is always on autopilot. If we have to change course because of a pot marker or traffic we can move the route on the 22" screen using the wireless mouse but we usually change the autopilot from Auto to Nav and steer by setting a new heading - not touching the helm at all. If the boat had been built with a helm seat we would probably use it but we've never worried about the fact that we haven't got one. It's one of those things that might bother someone looking at the boat for the first time but after hundreds of hours of driving it I can honestly say we don't mind not having one.

MapisM

Visit site
I fully agree that helm seats are way overrated, when talking of displacement boats.
I only had a tiny folding bench in my old wooden trawler, and I think I could count with one hand the number of times I raised it in 17 years of ownership.
Most folks here wouldn't agree, but I think that's mostly due to being used to planing speed, which by its nature requires the helmsman to be 90% of the time at the wheel.
When cruising at one digit speed, it really can be the other way round.
And we are in good company, btw: the pic below shows the pilothouse of a Mondomarine 165 feet explorer - an ice rated, go-anywhere ship.
e57d8a_f9987308425841d2b84bc2fcb6869d13~mv2.jpg

Megs20Burt!

Visit site
I know I'm biased (I always have to say that) but something I would suggest any boat buyer considers is Working From Home. It's possible to get connectivity in most places now without going to the expense of a satellite dome and for many people the ability to do business while on the boat may make a big difference to how often they can use it. On our N40 I can work very comfortably and privately in the wheelhouse - I've participated in many Zoom meetings there and it's absolutely seamless if the boat is positioned to get a good 4G cellular signal. In fact a good signal is something we check when choosing a berth if we are staying for any length of time. The photo below shows the nav screens and I can easily use these for wok if I want to (the system runs off a PC) but for work I now prefer to set up a free-standing 22" screen on the chart table to the left of my laptop. Not every boat provides the equivalent of a private office but for many people this will be a very important factor in the new normal. I would hate to have to work on the saloon table and have to clear everything up at mealtimes.
View attachment 108821
Thats a great set-up, love the glass bridge and back-up for redundancy. Yes, modern connectivity has really changed the way people view their living space.

TwoHooter

Visit site
Thats a great set-up, love the glass bridge and back-up for redundancy. Yes, modern connectivity has really changed the way people view their living space.
The best thing about our system is that every component is off-the-shelf, and replaceable either by the same thing or the latest equivalent. It should never be necessary to rip the whole system out and start again just because a component has failed and is obsolete.

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
I fully agree that helm seats are way overrated, when talking of displacement boats.
I only had a tiny folding bench in my old wooden trawler, and I think I could count with one hand the number of times I raised it in 17 years of ownership.
Most folks here wouldn't agree, but I think that's mostly due to being used to planing speed, which by its nature requires the helmsman to be 90% of the time at the wheel.
When cruising at one digit speed, it really can be the other way round.
And we are in good company, btw: the pic below shows the pilothouse of a Mondomarine 165 feet explorer - an ice rated, go-anywhere ship.
e57d8a_f9987308425841d2b84bc2fcb6869d13~mv2.jpg

Its a beautiful bridge but id hate to be sat that far away from the helm. It would feel like driving a car from the back seat.

Or you stand for the entire duration of long passage's?

Ive seen helms like the one below but i think id want a nice deep comfortable helm chair to sit at for long periods. One that comes with a movebale bolster so i can stand if i want.

Its nice to have the option :)

Helm station   00004.jpg:)

TwoHooter

Visit site
This thread has made me think about the issue of the helm seat for the first time in about 3 years. The last time I thought about it was when I saw the beautiful folding helm seat which a friend had designed and fitted to his N40. I decided this wasn't high enough up my list of possible improvements to justify the cost. I literally haven't thought about it since. Why? Well, I used to fly light aircraft. I much prefer our boat because I like to move around, not be sitting down all the time. Even when on the flybridge where we have a pair of helm seats, I don't sit still, I am up and down all the time watching the scenery (remember, we are coastal cruisers), taking photos and video, bird and dolphin watching, picking out landmarks through the binoculars, all that sort of thing.

It's funny what attracts people to boats, and equally funny what turns them off. When we were working towards buying our N40 we were on the boat one day and another potential buyer came on board. He took one look at the helm, which is basically a tractor wheel, and turned his back on the boat. We heard him say to his wife, 'I'd never buy a boat with a wheel like that' (big sigh of relief from us, we hadn't quite raised all the money at that point). I know another couple where one of them wanted to buy a boat (any boat) but the spouse wasn't keen. Eventually the spouse agreed in principle and they went to a boat show. The spouse was given the option of choosing which model to buy, and chose the one with the upholstery fabric which appealed the most.

Anyway, if you want a Nordhavn (some people do, you know) and you must have a helm seat then you need a folding one like my friend has on his N40 or you need, typically, an extra £120k for an N43 or £240k for an N47. Add a couple of million to the budget and you could have a Nordie with TWO helm seats in the wheelhouse :).

Bouba

Visit site
This thread has made me think about the issue of the helm seat for the first time in about 3 years. The last time I thought about it was when I saw the beautiful folding helm seat which a friend had designed and fitted to his N40. I decided this wasn't high enough up my list of possible improvements to justify the cost. I literally haven't thought about it since. Why? Well, I used to fly light aircraft. I much prefer our boat because I like to move around, not be sitting down all the time. Even when on the flybridge where we have a pair of helm seats, I don't sit still, I am up and down all the time watching the scenery (remember, we are coastal cruisers), taking photos and video, bird and dolphin watching, picking out landmarks through the binoculars, all that sort of thing.

It's funny what attracts people to boats, and equally funny what turns them off. When we were working towards buying our N40 we were on the boat one day and another potential buyer came on board. He took one look at the helm, which is basically a tractor wheel, and turned his back on the boat. We heard him say to his wife, 'I'd never buy a boat with a wheel like that' (big sigh of relief from us, we hadn't quite raised all the money at that point). I know another couple where one of them wanted to buy a boat (any boat) but the spouse wasn't keen. Eventually the spouse agreed in principle and they went to a boat show. The spouse was given the option of choosing which model to buy, and chose the one with the upholstery fabric which appealed the most.

Anyway, if you want a Nordhavn (some people do, you know) and you must have a helm seat then you need a folding one like my friend has on his N40 or you need, typically, an extra £120k for an N43 or £240k for an N47. Add a couple of million to the budget and you could have a Nordie with TWO helm seats in the wheelhouse :).
The wheel is a very important consideration. My boat has a Destroyer wheel, and it’s one of my favorite features ?

MapisM

Visit site
The upholstery-based choice is firmly in the category of "funny things that attract or turn off people".
But dismissing your wheel is purely a matter of incompetence, because that's the best thing since sliced bread.
In terms of practicality/functionality, anyway. (y)

EricJ

Visit site
Nordhavn has released some CAD images of the new N51 cabins.

I really like the modern contemporary design (y)

N51 – Nordhavn Yachts

View attachment 110805

very nice indeed. With these hull windows and lighter colours it will be a bit brighter inside. The shelves at the end of the bed look a bit odd. Not very deep and hardly any edge to prevent things from falling.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

This article quotes USD1.5m as the base.
Nordhavn Building All-New 51 Long-Range Cruiser

So probably about 2 with some sensible options. Also that may be subject to VAT depending on your appetite for VAT avoidance... :)

Thanks. The article suggests $1.5m for a fully specced vessel including expensive stuff like stabs so I'm not sure you'd have to add another $0.5m for extras. $1.5m sounds like a fair price (if any new boat price can be called fair) but $2.0m sounds like a lot of money to me for the size and type of boat

As for VAT, there has to be at least one benefit to Brexit;)

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
Thanks. The article suggests $1.5m for a fully specced vessel including expensive stuff like stabs so I'm not sure you'd have to add another $0.5m for extras. $1.5m sounds like a fair price (if any new boat price can be called fair) but $2.0m sounds like a lot of money to me for the size and type of boat

As for VAT, there has to be at least one benefit to Brexit;)

MBY have published an article on the Nordhavn 51 today

They have stated that...

Prices for the new Nordhavn 51 will start at around US$1.5 million excluding taxes and delivery. That includes a comprehensive sailaway spec, which according to Nordhavn’s director of marketing Jenny Stern covers pretty much everything you’d need, bar a watermaker and tender.

For comparison, the base price of the single-engined semi-custom Nordhavn 52 is $1.52m but that doesn’t include delivery to Europe or an estimated $100,000-$150,000 worth of extras on top. A well-specified Nordhavn 41 comes in at $699,000 excluding taxes and delivery charges.

Sales of both the Nordhavn 41 and Nordhavn 51 are proving very strong with 30 orders for the former and nine for the latter within a month of the first renderings being revealed.

Turkish build partner Telgeren has already opened a second production facility to keep pace with demand. The first Nordhavn 51 is expected to be delivered in summer 2022.

Nordhavn 51 specifications
LOA: 50′9″ (15.47 m)
Beam: 15′8” (4.78 m)
Draft: 4′9″ (1.45 m)
Displacement: 32.53 tons (71,575lbs)
Fuel capacity: 1,450 gal (5,48l)
Water capacity: 300gal (1,325l)

Starting price: $1.5 million (ex. tax and delivery

https://www.mby.com/news/nordhavn-51-first-look-globetrotting-trawler-adventure-yacht-113167

(y)

D

Deleted User YDKXO

For comparison, the base price of the single-engined semi-custom Nordhavn 52 is $1.52m but that doesn’t include delivery to Europe or an estimated $100,000-$150,000 worth of extras on top. A well-specified Nordhavn 41 comes in at $699,000 excluding taxes and delivery charges.

Actually that is an interesting comparison because, according to the Nordhavn specs, the N52 is a larger, heavier boat by more than a nominal margin of 1ft suggests. Yes I know the N52 only has a single + wing rather than twin engines but for some long distance cruisers, a single is preferable anyway. I'm guessing the delivery cost of a N52 to Europe would be around $50,000 so that makes a cost difference between the N52 and N51 of around $200,000 plus you get a degree of customisability with the N52. It would be interesting to talk to some of the buyers of the new N51 to understand why they didnt go for a N52 although I guess the main reason would be the twin engines. It would also be interesting to know whether the N51 has cannibalised N52 sales and whether Nordhavn are now willing to discount the N52 price a little as a result;)

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
Actually that is an interesting comparison because, according to the Nordhavn specs, the N52 is a larger, heavier boat by more than a nominal margin of 1ft suggests. Yes I know the N52 only has a single + wing rather than twin engines but for some long distance cruisers, a single is preferable anyway. I'm guessing the delivery cost of a N52 to Europe would be around $50,000 so that makes a cost difference between the N52 and N51 of around $200,000 plus you get a degree of customisability with the N52. It would be interesting to talk to some of the buyers of the new N51 to understand why they didnt go for a N52 although I guess the main reason would be the twin engines. It would also be interesting to know whether the N51 has cannibalised N52 sales and whether Nordhavn are now willing to discount the N52 price a little as a result;)

Nordhavn have released some new renderings.....its does look really nice.

N51 – Nordhavn Yachts

N51-interior-6-1-min.jpg

N51-interior-8-1-min.jpg

N51-interior-9-1-min.jpg

N51-interior-10-1-min.jpg

N51-interior-11-1-min.jpg

N51-interior-12-min.jpg

N51-interior-13-min.jpg

Last edited: