Another new Nordhavn

Megs20Burt!

Visit site
This forum is a temple of man maths. Anyone worshipping here will eventually convince themselves that they can afford to buy and keep any boat their heart desires:love: Of course the real problem is getting our SWMBOs to worship in the same temple
So true.
COVID-19 helped make up the mind of my other half. We have been considering buying our own boat for years, when we had the money, that got ploughed into our family business and as that grew, we invested more into it because we bootstrapped the growth.
We dipped our toe into boat ownership last summer and she absolutely loves it even though C-19 has limited our access to the boat, often saying we should have done this years ago?

Now it’,s do you think we need more space?

Assuming the country gets C-19 under control through 2021, we will be seriously be in the market again.

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
Last edited:
Visit site
I like the swift 41 sedan but then I prefer sedans in general. They can look a bit cheap inside but careful colour and flooring option choices improves it. The on,y thing I don’t like is the wallow they mention them having. Never been at sea on one but don’t like the sound of that.

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
Here's a full tour of the Nordhavn 41 and a look inside the production factory in Turkey

Apparently the Nordhavn 51 will have the same interior design, wood, fixtures and fittings etc....... enjoy ?

Greg2

Visit site
Here's a full tour of the Nordhavn 41 and a look inside the production factory in Turkey

Apparently the Nordhavn 51 will have the same interior design, wood, fixtures and fittings etc....... enjoy ?

A very nice boat but what struck me was that the design/layout is more coastal / day or two cruiser than ocean passage maker. No doubt that it has the ability for significant passages but the saloon and galley are combined with the helm position so no separate wheelhouse for watch keepers, which would leave the saloon for off-watch relaxing. Night time would be a problem. A convector microwave also seems like a strange choice on a passagemaker and whilst it might be the camera, the saloon also looked a tad snug.

In terms of layout I am thinking that the 40 was better.....perhaps it is intended for those that like the idea of ocean passages but are unlikely to ever do one - a bit like the 4x4 market??

Last edited:

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
A very nice boat but what struck me was that the design/layout is more coastal / day or two cruiser than ocean passage maker. No doubt that it has the ability for significant passages but the saloon and galley are combined with the helm position so no separate wheelhouse for watch keepers, which would leave the saloon for off-watch relaxing. Night time would be a problem. A convector microwave also seems like a strange choice on a passagemaker and whilst it might be the camera, the saloon also looked a tad snug.

In terms of layout I am thinking that the 40 was better.....perhaps it is intended for those that like the idea of ocean passages but are unlikely to ever do one - a bit like the 4x4 market??

I thought exactly the same (y)

A microwave instead of an oven and only one helm navigation screen indicates to me that this is a boat that you would only spend a few days on.....not weeks

And why sacrifice a flybridge for a tender that you will rarely need?

The N41 is a river boat with huge masts that you only need to fuel once a year

But i think its USP is that its an affordable Nordhavn.....an entry level boat.

A taster to get people to buy a bigger more expensive Nordhavn

:oops:

Last edited:

EricJ

Visit site

I think you are spot on with your remark about the 4x4 market....and that is why probably it will be a success. For a couple that is cruising with occasional guests in north European waters for example. Seakeeping is important, but no ocean crossings included. When you are with only 2, you are mostly in the same space anyway so the pilot house will not be missed. And less stairs to climb...
I agree that a flybridge would be a good addition

Greg2

Visit site
I think you are spot on with your remark about the 4x4 market....and that is why probably it will be a success. For a couple that is cruising with occasional guests in north European waters for example. Seakeeping is important, but no ocean crossings included. When you are with only 2, you are mostly in the same space anyway so the pilot house will not be missed. And less stairs to climb...

Yes, I can see it being a success. In effect it is not dissimilar to our Hardy, although we have a flybridge and an aft cabin it is a similar set up and would suit us quite well. Mind you I quite like the idea of a pilot house ?

Megs20Burt!

Visit site
Thats my thinking. We won't be crossing oceans, no way the other half would do that. Cruising across to the continent and around to the Med is the plan. My heart is still with the N41, but ShaneAtSea has really mucked things up with further suggestions of boats to look at and consider...??

AndieMac

Visit site
Haha, do tell C, are you "seeing" that now, or are you remembering it because we talked about it while you were here? I can't recall if we did.
Anyway, you are spot on. Indeed the above image title translates in EN along the lines of "Agony On Stage", which is what the author saw in it.

How's things down under, BTW?
I hope the sh!tshow isn't hurting your activity too badly... Though I fear it is to some extent, at least with foreign visitors?

We didn’t discuss the image, understanding S’s admiration for contemporary art displayed in all your “homes”, I never even thought about it until you mentioned it in this thread:)

we struggle to even get interstate visitors this summer, folks are to concerned about being locked out of their home states or going into hotel quarantine, upon the discovery of another case. Anyway, it’s providing opportunities to use/work on our own boat.

ShaneAtSea

Visit site

TwoHooter

Visit site
I know I'm biased (I always have to say that) but something I would suggest any boat buyer considers is Working From Home. It's possible to get connectivity in most places now without going to the expense of a satellite dome and for many people the ability to do business while on the boat may make a big difference to how often they can use it. On our N40 I can work very comfortably and privately in the wheelhouse - I've participated in many Zoom meetings there and it's absolutely seamless if the boat is positioned to get a good 4G cellular signal. In fact a good signal is something we check when choosing a berth if we are staying for any length of time. The photo below shows the nav screens and I can easily use these for wok if I want to (the system runs off a PC) but for work I now prefer to set up a free-standing 22" screen on the chart table to the left of my laptop. Not every boat provides the equivalent of a private office but for many people this will be a very important factor in the new normal. I would hate to have to work on the saloon table and have to clear everything up at mealtimes.
192.168.1.65_Camera1_192.168.1.65_20180714222013_920978.jpg

longjohnsilver

Visit site
I know I'm biased (I always have to say that) but something I would suggest any boat buyer considers is Working From Home. It's possible to get connectivity in most places now without going to the expense of a satellite dome and for many people the ability to do business while on the boat may make a big difference to how often they can use it. On our N40 I can work very comfortably and privately in the wheelhouse - I've participated in many Zoom meetings there and it's absolutely seamless if the boat is positioned to get a good 4G cellular signal. In fact a good signal is something we check when choosing a berth if we are staying for any length of time. The photo below shows the nav screens and I can easily use these for wok if I want to (the system runs off a PC) but for work I now prefer to set up a free-standing 22" screen on the chart table to the left of my laptop. Not every boat provides the equivalent of a private office but for many people this will be a very important factor in the new normal. I would hate to have to work on the saloon table and have to clear everything up at mealtimes.
View attachment 108821
2H I assume you have a helm seat, can’t see it in your pic?