Another new Nordhavn

Mr Googler

Visit site
Delta 88 for me. If I can afford that.....I can afford to run IPS.

was always hopeful JFM was going to do a big build thread on one

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
How much money would you need in the bank to spend £10m cash on a boat?

I think i read somewhere that you shouldnt spend more than 10% of what you have

So if you want to spend £10m on a boat you should have £100m in the bank

£10m in the bank then £1m on a boat and so on

:unsure:

JB

Visit site
Not many people have 100 million in the bank! It means 10% of your net worth and includes assets such as property. So if you have €100 million equity in property you can go off and spend 10 on a boat

Bouba

Visit site
Not many people have 100 million in the bank! It means 10% of your net worth and includes assets such as property. So if you have €100 million equity in property you can go off and spend 10 on a boat
Not many banks have 100 million in them?

Bouba

Visit site
I think the important formula is that a boat’s annual running cost is 10% of the purchase price

MapisM

Visit site
So if you want to spend £10m on a boat you should have £100m in the bank
£10m in the bank then £1m on a boat and so on
Or you can do as the Americans:
With nothing in the bank, you just borrow whatever you need for the boat.
Same as with a house, a car, a TV, whatever...

MapisM

Visit site
I think the important formula is that a boat’s annual running cost is 10% of the purchase price
Imho 10% is a bit OTT.
Trouble is, it should NOT be calculated on the purchase price, but on the price of the NEW boat, no matter how little you could have actually paid for her.
It's not like mooring, maintenance, fuel burn etc. go down with age - arguably, the opposite!

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Imho 10% is a bit OTT.
Trouble is, it should NOT be calculated on the purchase price, but on the price of the NEW boat, no matter how little you could have actually paid for her.
It's not like mooring, maintenance, fuel burn etc. go down with age - arguably, the opposite!

Correct which is why old big boats are so cheap to buy in relative terms. Anybody buying at the older end of the market wont be able to afford the maintenance

Mr Googler

Visit site
Correct which is why old big boats are so cheap to buy in relative terms. Anybody buying at the older end of the market wont be able to afford the maintenance
Unless you join a dodgy boat forum, read about people melting charge air coolers, learn about dead rise and EGT’s (making you feel you must have bought the wrong boat), use wireless BBQ probes as over heat alarm system and get actual expert advice here and there so you can do your own work.....it then all becomes a bit more affordable?

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Unless you join a dodgy boat forum, read about people melting charge air coolers, learn about dead rise and EGT’s (making you feel you must have bought the wrong boat), use wireless BBQ probes as over heat alarm system and get actual expert advice here and there so you can do your own work.....it then all becomes a bit more affordable?

This forum is a temple of man maths. Anyone worshipping here will eventually convince themselves that they can afford to buy and keep any boat their heart desires:love: Of course the real problem is getting our SWMBOs to worship in the same temple

Mr Googler

Visit site
This forum is a temple of man maths. Anyone worshipping here will eventually convince themselves that they can afford to buy and keep any boat their heart desires:love: Of course the real problem is getting our SWMBOs to worship in the same temple
AMEN to that!

D

Deleted User YDKXO

PS: not sure about Deleted User's, though.... :D

Oi, youre dissing our much loved family pet:rolleyes:

What about your avatar which as far as I can see is a poor little tuna fish taking its last breath before it ends up undercooked on somebody's plate?

Zing

Visit site
Maybe on average, but it varies massively in time, also It depends on what you mean by running cost. I think depreciation must be in the figures, it is such an important element. All boats depreciate at maybe 10% to 15% a year on a reducing balance basis, but beyond a certain age, when most value has gone, say 15 years, that figure reduces a lot (the N62 has even gone up recently). New boats cost much less in maintenance than old ones and that cost is not balanced out by depreciation. A new one might cost to run 20% all in of hull market value and a 15 yr old one 5%, especially if kept somewhere cheap and you DIY things.

Bouba

Visit site
Looks like I need to amend my formula?
Here goes, while buying a boat maybe a ratio to your assets, running a boat comes from your income.
How’s that??‍♂️