Access to Marinas during Covid 19 restrictions

Kinsale373

Visit site
We just spent a plesant day in the Sunshine in Kinsale, putting Halyards and Sails back on with a view to self isolating on the water next week. I arrived home to hear on the News that we have just implemented more stringent restrictions with no travel beyond 2 Km from home and beyond that only for "Essential Work " and to purchase food. It might be difficult to get to the Marina next week which is a 25Km drive . I'm just wondering whats actually happening at present in the UK regarding Marina Access. Are club Marinas still open for members to access boats and take them out for a trip if they want to? I think that Racing and Clubhouses are closed same as here . What's the general approach regarding access to marinas?
Kinsale 373

Boathook

Visit site
A lot of marinas and boat yards are now shut and restricting access. If lock gates are involved a lot of these are now also 'shut' so you can't get in or out.
You only have to trawl through some recent posts on these forums so see that places are shutting down and causing problems even for liveaboards.

Kinsale373

Visit site
Thats interesting Boathook, I didn't realise that the marinas were closed. It looks like were heading the same way . I spoke with a Club member today who says that the Islands off Cork and Kerry are putting out the message that they don't want to see any Visitors until June at least, not surprising I suppose! So it looks like a lot of Gardening this Spring and maybe a bit of anchoring off!
Kinsale

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
As we've see on these forums, there are no shortage of people in the UK who, in their own minds, are exceptions to any rules the government have made. They are able to judge that their needs to walk the dog, go to their boat and carry on with life in general is perfectly acceptable. If it's good weather again this weekend, I think we'll see a mockery of the government's efforts to get us to stay at home. Everyone will have a perfectly valid reason to be the the exception to the rules.

Then next week, the rules will become far more draconian, and like Ireland and France, travel will be restricted to a mile radius of the house.

prv

Visit site
As we've see on these forums, there are no shortage of people in the UK who, in their own minds, are exceptions to any rules the government have made.

Indeed. I’m definitely hearing of people still at work doing things that are in no way essential. Southampton Council still seem to be cutting the grass and trimming the bushes in parks, which could surely be left for another time.

On the other hand some police forces are doing their credibility no favours by making up their own rules and claiming they are law when they are not, nor even government advice.

If it's good weather again this weekend, I think we'll see a mockery of the government's efforts to get us to stay at home.

I hope you’re wrong, but I fear you’re probably right.

Pete

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Indeed. I’m definitely hearing of people still at work doing things that are in no way essential. Southampton Council still seem to be cutting the grass and trimming the bushes in parks, which could surely be left for another time.

On the other hand some police forces are doing their credibility no favours by making up their own rules and claiming they are law when they are not, nor even government advice.

I hope you’re wrong, but I fear you’re probably right.

Pete

The rules do not mention that work has to be "essential", only that it has to work that cannot be done at home.

So, if work can be done, that complies with social distancing guidelines, can't see a problem.

As for going sailing, it's not possible to comply with the new rules and go sailing. However, the boat beside me went out yesterday :(

Sadlerfin

Visit site
My marina has a lock which is closed. Before the closure I did consider going for a day sail or anchoring off, however, what happens if I needed assistance should I expect RNLI or Seastart to attend? I think not.
We should leave our boats on their pontoons and not put others at risk is my view.

Shaddickp

Visit site
My boat is ashore in Greece and the boatyard closed, and all pleasure craft in any case have to stay in whichever port they are in if afloat. This is very sound practice, because once you put to sea even for short trips you cannot guarantee that you will be able to go back to where you started from, and the last thing the Greek government wants is yachts going from one small island to another.
I've accepted that this year I probably wont be able to sail at all, its looking like the 'Year that never happened'.

Robin

Visit site
Island Harbour, Cowes now effectively closed, no leisure boat movement except by previous arrangement for people 'relocating' (it is the changeover time between contracts) boatyard is still working with boats already out and/or within marina it seems and chandlery open with restricted hours and sensible access rules offices only open 1 hour daily all contact otherwise by phone/email. locals seen visiting their boats to check and marina doing routine checking daily. all seems reasonable enough and daily cleaning/disinfection routines in place

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Mylor Yacht Harbour has been shut for the past week or more. And to my reading the government guidance is quite clear: no movement except essential journeys (eg to shops or work). End of. That’s what North Wales Police have been policing on the A55 into Wales. Going to the boat, out to the hills for a walk or a trip down to your second home isn’t an essential journey. And as has been said above, watch out for further restrictions if enough people don’t stay home this weekend.

RJJ

Visit site
As we've see on these forums, there are no shortage of people in the UK who, in their own minds, are exceptions to any rules the government have made. They are able to judge that their needs to walk the dog, go to their boat and carry on with life in general is perfectly acceptable. If it's good weather again this weekend, I think we'll see a mockery of the government's efforts to get us to stay at home. Everyone will have a perfectly valid reason to be the the exception to the rules.

Then next week, the rules will become far more draconian, and like Ireland and France, travel will be restricted to a mile radius of the house.
That's the thing about rules. People's propensity to adhere to them is based on consideration not just that "it's the law" and "I might get punished" but "is it sensible?".

I haven't broken curfew yet. But I have been for a short daily stroll per the rules. Living in SW London, those strolls put me in direct and indirect proximity to hundreds of people,all of us obeying the rules; across the country thousands of people are doing the same.

A trip to the boat to do some pre-season prep? Even on a busy day I can easily avoid going within 10m of anyone, let alone 2m.

Down in Sussex the cops were putting notes on people's cars yesterday who had driven their dogs to large woodland areas for their daily outing. So many of those folks would be in flats or terraced houses, a walk down the street is probably worse, not better, for social distancing.

FlyingGoose

Visit site
There is no distance laws , people are allowed to drive to take their dogs out and to exercise, the rules are no large gatherings , the rules are pretty clear, to those that think we should all stay locked in our houses , when we need to get to the supermarkets, the chemists, fresh air , walk the dog ,are not thinking in any logical mindset, stop treating people as we are all stupid , it is perfectly easy to keep social distancing outside , more so than having to go to the supermarket.
driving to get to a place for exercise is not banned, if it was were is the distance rules, were is the ban on driving, were is the ban on leaving the house there is none, pretty easy to understand and follow,
Also if your boat is near by and you can get to it without forming a group and there are not many people around then you can work on your boat, if the yard is open, as to touching trolleys and gates , wear gloves and wash your hands again pretty easy and simple measures to control the spread,
The virus is mainly spread though person to person contact via water droplets form that person hence the 2 metre rule , standing at your boat with no one near you and you drove there will not spread a virus ,

Reactions: RJJ

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Thousands of police, rya, qhm, local councils all appear to disagree with you flying goose, but you obviously know something they don't with your vastly superior knowledge.
The law is what I know , and it is perfectly clear, the only problem is how one wants to interpret that law , if you listen to the police, the council etc, they use the word advise, which is different to you can not , and to assume that those that are moving around are virus carriers infecting everyone is a paranoid though, my wife has all the symptoms I has been in the house for 15 days now , she only went to the supermarket, were there is one of the highest risks of infection , from people roaming around the cashier the food being touched etc,

Praxinoscope

Visit site
Went down to my boat this morning, a round trip of 2.6miles, why? Had a whole load of canned foods on board (stewing steak, tinned vegetables, tinned fruit, custard and creamed rice, which I can use at home, using these up will save me a trip to the shops at some point.
The town was deserted and not a single person on the beach or near the boats.

Leighb

Visit site
Our club Marina is closed, as is the club and staff are working from home. So even if one sneaked the boat into its berth there would be no one around to keep an eye on it . I would have to get in the car to get there so that is not on. The marina can be rather exposed in summer gales so I would be unhappy to leave it there unattended.

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Strange that you posted from a HM Gov I took this from their post
stay local and use open spaces near to your home where possible – do not travel unnecessarily

were possible = meaning you can travel to get exercise if you do not have the space or area near by but do it locally , now locally does not have a mileage attached , so local to the person living in the country is different to those in a high rise flat,
Do not travel unnecessarily - but you are allowed to go out and exercise, which full circles back to the distance one can reasonably travel to get fresh air and exercise , one would think travelling 30 miles is excessive , but if you need to go 5 miles to walk your dogs and get out of the city this would be deemed reasonably by any COURT remember the police can only arrest you the courts decide if you are guilty not this forum
But again it is the nimbies the curtain twitchers and those that scorn their neighbours for leaving the bins out to long are the ones that like to tell us all what we should and should not do , we are a responsible nation no one wants to be an arse but please do not tells us we cannot go out and use sensible precautions