AC 75

TernVI

Visit site
I looks like a lumbering great dinosaur.
Compared to a foiling sailboard or Moth, it looks like a very strange evolutionary dead end.

But will it deliver interesting match racing?
Will it have us re-arranging our lives to see it on TV?
The last series, for me, failed to do that.

dunedin

Visit site
Compared to a foiling sailboard or Moth, it looks like a very strange evolutionary dead end.

Agree entirely. At least least the previous AC generation foiling cats made some sense. The enforced move to foiling, lead ballasted “monohulls” with lethal raised sythes out each side seems a rare case of NZ loss of common sense. (Or perhaps a very devious way to reduce the number of competition so they have a better chance of holding onto the Mug.)

TernVI

Visit site
The foiling cats were designed around a crude and backward set of rules, hence requiring a bunch of gorillas to operate the controls.
Maybe that makes better TV than a Moth sailor operating a little twist grip?

It's 'technology-driven' but driven in obscure directions.

Rum_Pirate

Visit site

But will it deliver interesting match racing?
Will it have us re-arranging our lives to see it on TV?
The last series, for me, failed to do that.
How far will that lumbering great dinosaur leave foiling sailboards or Moths in it's wake?

Regardless, I for one do not like the path that the 'America's Cup' is going down.

TernVI

Visit site
How far will that lumbering great dinosaur leave foiling sailboards or Moths in it's wake?

Regardless, I for one do not like the path that the 'America's Cup' is going down.
Dunno, how fast does it go?
A Moth will do say 20 knots in everyday conditions?
In boatlengths per second that is shedloads faster.
It will accelerate quick and tack on a sixpence.
Foiling boards will stop dead from 'quite embarrassingly quick' to nothing in a few metres. And get going again.

Same as a 747 or high speed train will do a lot of mph but are really quite dull to watch.

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
Dunno, how fast does it go?
A Moth will do say 20 knots in everyday conditions?
In boatlengths per second that is shedloads faster.
It will accelerate quick and tack on a sixpence.
Foiling boards will stop dead from 'quite embarrassingly quick' to nothing in a few metres. And get going again.

Same as a 747 or high speed train will do a lot of mph but are really quite dull to watch.
The syndicate boss said America’s Cup fans can expect the yacht to hit speeds of up to 50 knots on the Hauraki Gulf. Source: 1 NEWS
How fast can Team New Zealand's AC75 go? Grant Dalton explains the new boat's design

Wansworth

Visit site
Speed is relative,where’s the sailing skills and close quarters jousting and beauty? Of proper sailing boats,if it’s just speed then go ahead but there is much more to sailing I thought

TernVI

Visit site
Moths at 11ft long plus the rudder do over 30knots. That's about 4 boat lengths a second.
50 knots and 75ft is more like 1 length per second.
It will be interesting to see how agile the AC boats are, having to move those huge appendages to tack.

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
Speed is relative,where’s the sailing skills and close quarters jousting and beauty? Of proper sailing boats,if it’s just speed then go ahead but there is much more to sailing I thought
I love the appearance and the sailing skills and close quarters jousting of the older 12 meter America's Cup yachts, like this one for example.

Classic Yacht Regatta - St. Maarten

BYM News Magazine - Kate

Kate - Classic Yacht Info