Young Skippers Scheme

howardclark

Visit site
Some years ago there was a group running courses that could be included in Duke of Edinburgh plans - anyone know if it's still running and any contact details?

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
Funny you should ask this Howard, I would also be interested to find out as my daughter has just started on DoE. They have asked if I will go to a local pond to teach the group that are interested how to sail, I don't mind doing this but I am only qualified to Coastal Skipper level and not sure if I would be allowed. Have you contacted the RYA yet?

howardclark

Visit site
No not yet, I used to see adverts for this scheme - perhaps it has stopped. I'll contact them soon if no-one knows, suggest we keep one another informed,
regards Howard

brians

Visit site
I believe it is based at the Southampton Institute at Warsash, Hamble. RYA also used to be involved. It used to be good when my kids did it

G

The RYA Young Skippers Scheme was indeed run by the RYA. In those days (the 1980's) it was the the late Douglas Heard and the Seamanship Foundation that ran it with fleets of Sonatas dotted around the country. We had one in Mayflower Marina Plymouth for a while. There was some criticism for a while about it being a cheap way for rich kids to get charge of a boat other than their daddy's. Suggest you contact RYA Training Division about current situation.