Yesterday at Marlow

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Frankly, it is the response I was expecting, having spoken to EA staff on the day, who admitted to having no knowledge of the event until passing boaters had pointed it out to them and then said an EA launch was on route to investigate.
Sorry Darren, not saying the response is untrue but have dealt enough with EA in recent times to know that left hand right hand syndrome is alive and well . Bear in mind this was a twitter feed and I will believe it when I have corroboration.

Can anyone put a time to the EA Patrol Launch actually being in attendance at Marlow please?

No Regrets

Visit site
Every time forum members have experienced issues with other boats and reported it on this forum, there is much derision among those people who were not there, and didn't experience it.

Perhaps the next time somebody reports issues, the rest of us are supposed to deride whatever they say as nonsense.

Even when supported by Photographic or Video evidence, or the collective agreement with all those involved, the derision continues!?

A very strange and disappointing attitude I have to say...

DogsBody

Visit site
Can anyone put a time to the EA Patrol Launch actually being in attendance at Marlow please?

Not exact but I know we passed an EA launch downstream of Longridge scouts camp, that was heading upriver, presumably to investigate "The Marlow Incident". I'd estimate it would have arrived on scene around 1300h.

ianc1200

Visit site
Do they still do the RUG meetings? The Boulters to Marsh one's I used to go to (RUG 8?) were well attended by Marlow Rowing members. if it's still going, find the date of the next meeting, get the chairman to add to the agenda & go and try and resolve (/argue) as anybody can attend.

plumbob

Visit site
Do they still do the RUG meetings? The Boulters to Marsh one's I used to go to (RUG 8?) were well attended by Marlow Rowing members. if it's still going, find the date of the next meeting, get the chairman to add to the agenda & go and try and resolve (/argue) as anybody can attend.
That's RUG6.Marsh to Boulter's. Next meeting will be on 13th May, so perhaps you would like to attend? Its at Leander club, I think, and starts at 7 30. Pm me if you or anyone else who's interested in going. EA representative will be there,and almost certainly Marlow R C.

Flynnbarr

Visit site
It's your lucky day No Regrets.
Plumbob has presented you with a golden opportunity to air your grievances in the correct manner and to the right people.

Visit site
That's RUG6.Marsh to Boulter's. Next meeting will be on 13th May, so perhaps you would like to attend? Its at Leander club, I think, and starts at 7 30. Pm me if you or anyone else who's interested in going. EA representative will be there,and almost certainly Marlow R C.

clicky clicky

ChrisMeyer

www.mycleopatra.co.uk
Sorry to see this, as a local to Marlow, a motorboater, an ex rower, and an ex ARA umpire, I can see both sides of this. Marlow RC it appears were at fault in not properly liasing with the authorities, and not dealing with the MB's in a courteous manner. Many MB's, (and its normally the ones designed to do over 25 knots and should really be on the Solent) show scant regard for other river users. This includes anglers, canoeists,sailors, other moored cruisers and, yes, rowers. The river should be for all (unless 2 of you can't fit side by side in a lock)

Gavi

Visit site
Sorry to see this, as a local to Marlow, a motorboater, an ex rower, and an ex ARA umpire, I can see both sides of this. Marlow RC it appears were at fault in not properly liasing with the authorities, and not dealing with the MB's in a courteous manner. Many MB's, (and its normally the ones designed to do over 25 knots and should really be on the Solent) show scant regard for other river users. This includes anglers, canoeists,sailors, other moored cruisers and, yes, rowers. The river should be for all (unless 2 of you can't fit side by side in a lock)

Well said

No Regrets

Visit site
My sentiments exactly.

Bray CC, as far as I'm aware always show respect for other river users. Thats probably why we are collectively so unhappy at the lack of reciprocation!

TMBA

Visit site
The EA have now responded to complaints regarding the regatta at Marlow:

Dear TNUF member.

You may be aware that there was considerable concern over the impact of the regatta held by Marlow Rowing Club in the reach upstream of Marlow Bridge last Monday.

Unfortunately, although the club had applied to the Environment Agency seeking consent for the event, through an oversight on our part this was not responded to. As a result no Harbourmaster’s Notice was issued informing boaters and lockstaff of the event nor were documents detailing the conditions under which the event should be held sent to the club.

Had those conditions been sent they would have been the same as previous events held by the club in the same reach.

As the event had not been officially consented, the duty officer on the day was unaware so had not planned a patrol to pass through the reach to check the course. However, as soon as the problem with the course was raised the duty officer visited and arranged for buoys to be moved and the navigation channel widened.

I am extremely disappointed and embarrassed that we have made this mistake which resulted in so much concern to boaters passing through Marlow on Monday. I will be looking at ways to ensure such an oversight in our consenting process does not happen again.

Questions about moorings on Higginson Park and an absence of warning to those moored there on Sunday night that they would be asked to move early on the Monday morning are quite separate and outside our control.

I am sure this whole issue will be discussed at next week’s RUG 6. Unfortunately I shall be out of the country on holiday so will be unable to attend. There will be an Environment Agency staff member at the meeting to partake in the discussions and address concerns raised.

I am sorry for the inconvenience caused by this oversight and would be grateful if you could please pass on my sincere apologies to your members.

Andrew Graham
Waterway Manager

DogsBody

Visit site
Nice response from the EA, confirms MRC were in the wrong, as they did not receive consent from the EA and had made the navigation channel too narrow, despite claims to the contrary on their facebook page / website.

Chris_d

Visit site
Good on the EA to admit their mistake, so the obvious question is why did MRC go ahead not having received consent and why didn't they chase the EA to obtain it?
Wonder if anyone in MRC is brave enough to come on here after the abuse (aka respect!) they received on Facebook.

Ramage

Visit site
If we take a step back from all the emotion, the main problem was that the navigation channel was inadequate. Not just for planing boats but for Displacement & Semi-Displacement boats too.

Note from Andrew Graham's letter:

"As the event had not been officially consented, the duty officer on the day was unaware so had not planned a patrol to pass through the reach to check the course. However, as soon as the problem with the course was raised the duty officer visited and arranged for buoys to be moved and the navigation channel widened."

So there WAS a problem with the navigation channel, which was then resolved. There is no need for comments from people who were not there suggesting that it was the fault of the skippers, who may or may not have the "wrong sort of boat". This is not helpful.

The EA have admitted their mistake, Marlow RC had applied for a restriction after all. They appear to have underestimated the width of navigation channel required and then did not get the advice and guidence from the EA to help them comply with the bylaws and requirements.

Hopefully all sides will now calm down and learn from this incident.

apollo

Visit site
It is painfully obvious that out of all parties involved, the boater that is paying for the infastructure is at the bottom of the pecking order here.

If EA are going to fine cruisers for speeding, then they must treat everyone fairly the same. If a rowing club abuses their permit, the permit should be removed.

But heh, who is going to listen to the bottom of the pile? (ANd who is going to represent us and make the point, TMBA told me they arent :( )

Visit site

(ANd who is going to represent us and make the point, TMBA told me they arent :( )

I am sure that will be very disappointing to all TMBA members, as I'm equally sure that is exactly the kind issue they would want the TMBA to represent them on. However, I understand that the ATYC is taking up this issue and will be representing MB interests at the forthcoming RUG.

Last edited:

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
But heh, who is going to listen to the bottom of the pile? (ANd who is going to represent us and make the point, TMBA told me they arent :( )

Not so. In fact I told you that I had already asked for "Navigation Channels at Regattas and other events" to be placed on the agenda for the next TNUF meeting at the end of June. It should be abundantly clear to all here that I have been pursuing this issue vigorously and with determination to flush out the facts.

It seems to have escaped your attention that I was the original poster for this thread seeking information about the incident.

Last edited:

apollo

Visit site
Not so. In fact I told you that I had already asked for "Navigation Channels at Regattas and other events" to be placed on the agenda for the next TNUF meeting at the end of June. It should be abundantly clear to all here that I have been pursuing this issue vigorously and with determination to flush out the facts.
I specifically mentioned speeding launches in breech of their permit not navigation channels. Speeding Launches - which you have flatly refused to raise.

Pump-Out

Visit site
I would not normally get involved with this but, having read what you all had to say I had a look at the RUG website.

http://www.riverusergroups.org.uk/marsh-to-boulters.php

RUG 6 should be careful how they handle this - because the regatta is clearly listed on their list of events spreadsheet; which would infer that notification had been circulated in some form.

Just saying....