YBW Round the World Race?

danfoley

www.ybw.com
Hi all,

We're in talks with the company that produces the Volvo Ocean Race game about producing something similar for us, and it would be great to get some feedback from you about the game.

This is really the first toe in the water for us so any recommendations about the game itself, the race layout - ideas for courses welcome - and possible improvements would be very welcome!

Cheers,
Dan

Carolwildbird

art-of-remembering.typepad.com
Most of us are not playing that game Dan

.....The SOL (sail on line) version (which is what most of us are on now) is great.. why not link up with them rather than the official game?

Those who have played both generally prefer SOL, and our ranking relates to the SOL game.

T_C

Visit site
Well, I'm playing the "official" game, and I quite like it.
My only objection is the pay more for added bits, sail repair kits, autopilots and the like. Yes, that's probably more like real life, but I would prefer a level field so that tactics etc. play a bigger part in the overall result.

As to courses etc. I would suggest shorter, more frequent races rather than one long one. Gives folk the option to come and go as they wish.

Hope that helps

trevorr

Visit site
I Agree with what Carol says.
I started both The Official Volvo game and SOL. The Volvo game soon got binned off.

SOL Rules.

Trev

Carolwildbird

art-of-remembering.typepad.com
T-C - have you tried the SOL game? .. its a level playing field (no extras and no payment) so tactics are everything

SOL also organises short races to while away the time in the southern ocean--- one in sweden and one in the US over the last week

Dipper

Visit site
I haven't played the official Volvo game (so my opinion is perhaps not best informed) but I have enjoyed the Sailonline races. I also think it would be good for you to talk to them as well. They are a very dedicated customer orientated team, very friendly and they need the money! This version also seems to appeal more to sailors rather than the general public which would perhaps suit ybw forumites better.

One thing missing from the game is free access to marriage guidance councellors and divorce lawyers. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

danfoley

www.ybw.com
Thanks, this is really helpful. From what I can tell so far, the Volvo is far more popular (that's marketing for you!) but actually the majority of people that have played both seem to think that SOL is superior in gameplay, the fact it's free, and that it's more flexible with the number of races it has.

fireball

Visit site
Hi Dan

Another vote for SOL ... having tried both I found that the SOL interface was easier and concentrated on the navigational tacktics rather than paying for autopilots, autosails and sail repairs ..

The SOL guys have been really good in adding in features requested from time to time.

I found the delayed updates for the OVOR game frustrating (10 minutes between screen updates?! What are they running it on? A 286?!).

IMHO the OVOR is more popular as they are the "official" one, rather than the SOL VOR which is not widely marketed...

I'd go for SOL every time...

RivalRedwing

Visit site
Another vote for SOL. I started the first leg with the 'official' game but went off it rapidly because of the need to pay for autohelms & the like. SOL much better to play and free. I particularly like the SOL version at this point in time as I appear to be in the lead of the YBW group (not for long I'm sure!)
Anyone who started with the official game is probably still considered a player - would be interesed to know the ratio of active : inactive players.

Noboatboater

Visit site
I am currently playing both VOR and SOL. I feel they both have something to offer.
I prefer the interface for VOR, but the weather system is better on SOL. The opportunity to preview heading before verifying/confirming on VOR is a good idea, as is the option to change sails as this is more realistic, The overall game play of SOL is better.

This is all my personal opinion others may disagree.

Sixpence

Visit site
Another vote for SOL, tried both and decided the VOR doesn't offer a level playing field, it's a case of the bigger your wallet the better the boat/kit which may be what it's like in the real world but I'm not interested in filling someone else's pocket when I need the cash for the real boat. Sailonline rules K.O.

Daipal

Visit site
I am still doing both. Most of the boats in VOR have not paid for any extras, although some have. I think the sail options in VOR is a good thing - more realistic. The wind information, TWA and delay functions are good on SOL.
I think the SOL is much easier as I appear to be able to stay in touch with the leaders in that more than I can with VOR for the same amount of time spent on the computer. That is until I do something silly or go on holiday and abandon ship for days. Can you get a combination of the two please.
Daipal

BrendanS

Visit site
Another vote for SOL. I've played both, and gave up on the official volvo ones. The guys behind SOL are excellent at support and as others have said, could really do with some extra cash to help things develop. By far the preferred option of the majority on here.

Dyflin

Visit site
+1 for SOL.

Tried and tested both and I prefer the SOL version. They have a long way to go, but with support and feedback, they are getting there.

Spyro

Visit site
Don't see why we would need anything else, SOL is available to anyone and will still be running after the VOR has finished. Anyone from these forums will be able to play.

TigaWave

www.H4marine.com
I hope to talk to Dan soon about possible options, I know the guys in Sweden and although I don't have any commercial ties with them at the moment, I've been helping their business along with some of the contacts I have from racing.

For ybw it could be fun to have them running races more appropriate to channel or UK sailors or following well known routes like the fastnet or channel races, round britain, round ireland, Figaro. They would also then have the opportunity to get sponsors for the races and possible prizes for winners as one way to make it commercial and fun. We've also looked at fund raising options for charities like the RNLI, where you pay a nominal entry fee to race and then a percentage pays for the game and the rest goes to the charity. Joining a ybw league could also be an option they would have control over.

But thanks for the comments above, I've always felt it was the better game and hence went over to Stockholm to learn more and see if I could help.

All I have to do now is get hold of Dan!!

WayneS

Visit site
Started both. Did not get out of the Med on VOR cos SOL took over my life.

All I need to do now is recover my marriage, job, life etc etc etc