Yanmar IGM10 Slowing down and dying.

DownWest

Visit site
I thought they would be copies. Have you found them any good in case I need one?
Bought one. So Far, So Good...

Bought a refurb kit for a 2GM20. Gasket kit etc were fine and well below factory price. One hiccup, they sent piston rings for the 2GM, which are a smaller bore. Had to find them elsewhere.

Gixer

Visit site
Sound exactly like the problem I had. Engine would run for anything up to 40 mins before dying. Turned out to be the fuel lift pump, bought a new one from Parts4engines and has been fine ever since.

Visit site
Is your problem solved yet. Might be irrelevant but years ago I owned a Plymouth Pilot with a Lombardini single. Symptoms were the same. New tank all lines and filters in order. Eventually I discover the plastic draw pipe in the tank had bent itself into a ‘J’ the end of which was surfacing in the tank sucking in air. A simple fix but a mystery and worrying at the time. Best of luck.

ghostlymoron

Visit site
I keep coming back to the fact that the engine WAS working ok before you messed with the fuel filter and that was the ONLY thing that was touched as I understand. It does point to the current problem being incorrect reassembly of that component. If you had some kind of pump in the system (bulb or integral) you could try pumping it when the engine starts to falter, if it continues to run, it would indicate there is an air leak. Alternatively disconnect the secondary filter altogether (I think this may have already been suggested).

Behome

Visit site
I had a similar problems a few years ago. Went through all the procedures everyone mentioned. In the end it turned out to be the O-ring on the fine filter being nipped And admitting air.

lexi

Visit site
So. I went out yesterday and plumbed the pick up straight to Yanmar engine filter. Engine never missed a beat in 7hrs trolling for Salmon. CAV filter then. However: I may have mucked up this myself in a senior moment. On top of filter head there are 4 arrows. I have fitted them with an arrow in then an arrow out. So the two connections are diagonal to each other.
This may be wrong, so I am going to order barbed connections with olives and have another go at the CAV. I do like the water separator function. Thanks for all input from you Gents s on this.

Reactions: vas

vas

Visit site
well done,

you could also throw away the cav and get some decent filter BEFORE you start ordering expensive bits for it as iirc threads on this thing don't match other filters :rolleyes:
need to find someone I hate to donate mine ? which is still in the garage gathering dust.

EDIT: there are indeed two ins and two outs, you can use the one that's more convenient, there's no rule that you have to use both on one side or anything, diagonal is fine.

Boater Sam

Visit site
The diagonal connections on the CAV filter is not a problem, you can use any combination even both on the same side.

I have never had a problem with these filter heads but then I assemble the seals very carefully and don't overtighten.

lexi

Visit site
The diagonal connections on the CAV filter is not a problem, you can use any combination even both on the same side.

I have never had a problem with these filter heads but then I assemble the seals very carefully and don't overtighten.
Big seal on top , two double seals on bottom , two smaller O rings,all dipped in diesel. I have seen people comment that the arrows on ports have been marked the wrong way around. I did wonder, if it doesn't matter where they go, the why do they arrow them?

Boater Sam

Visit site
Big seal on top , two double seals on bottom , two smaller O rings,all dipped in diesel. I have seen people comment that the arrows on ports have been marked the wrong way around. I did wonder, if it doesn't matter where they go, the why do they arrow them?
If you reverse the in and out of the filter, the muck fills up the centre of the filter instead of dropping into the outer bowl as does any water. But it matters not which connections are used providing the fuel is flowing the correct way.

ghostlymoron

Visit site
I thought you had to have it connected with the in and out on opposite sides of the filter otherwise the fuel doesn't actually flow through the filter element. If you don't connect the right way, you'll get the crud collecting in the housing not the element.

Boater Sam

Visit site
Sorry, but you are wrong.
I have just taken a new CAV 4 port filter assembly from stock and examined it closely.

Both inlets and both outlets go to the same places so as I said as long as the fuel flows in the direction of the arrows, it makes absolutely no difference which ports are used. You can use both on one side, either 1 &2 or 3&4, or diagonally.

So up to you pal.