Yanmar 3YM30

alan

Visit site
Recently got a new boat with a Yanmar 3YM30. I would like to fit a temperature gauge in additon to the temp alarm. I have got a workshop manual but have not found it much use in answering the following questions. Anybody already fitted a gauge?? The questions I have are:

(1.) Is there a temp sensor (in addition to the alarm sensor) already fitted but not used or is here just a hole with a blanking plug; or does one have to substitiute the alarm sensor?

(2.) Is there wiring already in the loom for a gauge (my manual does not show any spare wiring)?

(3.) If somebody has already done this, can they give me the part numbers for the instrument and sensor they have used (I don't need to re-invent the wheel!!).

Thanks in advance for any help.

alan

Visit site
Thanks, I already have but no replies so far; so thought I'd try this forum as well as it's normally an infinite source of wisdom!
Thanks again.

FullCircle

Visit site
alan,
an interesting point. I will check my 3YM30 this weekend, as I was going to hook in an oil pressure gauge anyway, so why not a temp gauge. Usual practice is to have a fitting which inserts into the head or the block, which will have a temp sensor which opens or closes a contact at a critical temp. This should be able to be replaced with a temp gauge sensor as fitted to all cars. You will need to tee it though really, as if you have a gauge, you will not have an alarm, which is a retrograde step, most definitely.

alan

Visit site
As I am currently travelling (Svalbard 78 N) I am unable to look at my engine. I was checking the VDO website and they do sensors that incorporate both the temp sensor and the contact (so they say). I have no idea of the size/thread e.t.c. of the Yanmar contact sensor, so was hoping that someone had already done the hard work for me. I'd be grateful for any info that you may come up with; likewise I'll let you know what I can find out when I finally get back to my boat in a couple of weeks.

Thanks,
Alan.

lenmac

Visit site
Alan, Please excuse my taking advantage of your problem but I have been looking for a Workshops manual, rahter than an Owners manual, and when I readthat you had one I had to enquire where you obtained it, if you wouldn't mind.

Regards

Leonard

alan

Visit site
The manuals on the boat and I don't remember where I bought it .......... I think I ordered it from the UK.
I'll check tomorrow and get back to you.

Alan.

TheBoatman

Visit site
Alan
I hope you treat this "advice" with caution as I have not actually tested it out myself but here goes.

My uncle had a 2GM20 engine that had a temp alarm, I later fitted a temp guage because the 2GM came complete with a sensor that had 2 lucas tags on it, one for the alarm and one for a guage, the guage one was not used by Yanmar (spare if you like).

Unfortunately the new YM series engines only come with a single tag on the sensor to run the alarm.

After speaking with various Yanmar dealers they see no reason why I shouldn't change the YM sensor with the old style GM one.

As of now I've yet to try it but I can see no reason why it shouldn't work!

As long as the threads are the same it should work?

Peter.

alan

Visit site
Thanks for that info; I did contact the Yanmar main dealer in Italy but they didn't propose this solution - they proposed using an unused "hole" on the fresh water pump; however I discarded this idea due to lack of space on the pump housing because of the calorifier hose connections.
Since writing the original mail, I have installed a VDO sensor (and gauge) with two tags. Although the VDO sensor is a different thread from the Yanmar "hole", I got around this by sourcing an adaptor from a car spares outlet which had the correct thread types. This has now been installed on my boat and on a friends for about 9 months and seems to work satisfactorily. If anyone wants derails of suppliers then I can look them up.

Alan.