Yanmar 1GM10 oil removal question

catnick1

Visit site
Hello .
.As I continue to give the Yanmar 1GM10 engine on my 'new' Macwester 27 some well needed tlc I am now about to change the oil and filters .
On the face of it this is a simple task but Im not sure what method to use to remove the old oil.
I have read many articles regarding using a extractor pump placed down the dipstick tube .
on the other hand some folk recommend removing the sump nut , whilst others warn of trouble if the sump nut is ever removed because of the filter behind it .
I have plenty of space underneath to place a tray for the old oil .
I am puzzled why people warn against removing the sump nut as I feel its the best and easiest method .

thank you in advance .

B27

Visit site
If my memory is correct, the sump on a 1 GM can be removed for cleaning quite easily if your boat gives you reasonable access.?

Biggles Wader

Visit site
Why do you think it is better to remove the nut when it may cause problems and everybody else uses an extractor, as per Yanmar manuals, with perfect results?
View attachment 167078
I always think it is better as a general rule to drain engine oil via a sump plug if available rather than a suction tube. The tube never gets all the oil out and leaves a bit of crud at the bottom while a sump always gets that crud out. I can't comment about this particular engine model though.

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
I always think it is better as a general rule to drain engine oil via a sump plug if available rather than a suction tube. The tube never gets all the oil out and leaves a bit of crud at the bottom while a sump always gets that crud out. I can't comment about this particular engine model though.
If there's crud in your engine oil something isn't really right.
Oil's job is to cool, lube and clean the engine, assisted by the oil filter.

A small amount of insolubles is normal. If you run the engine to warm up the oil a bit before sucking it out (faster), they will flow in the oil and be extracted with it.

Refueler

Visit site
I find the whole subject interesting ....

I am old enough to remember people using flushing oil after draining old oil out. Drain the flushing oil and then fill up with recc'd grade.

Now we have boats / cars etc using extraction pumps that no matter how you use - can never get all old out. I drive a Range Rover and that is notorious for need to keep to oil schedules .... and what does that have ?? Not even a dipstick ... but an extraction pipe ... (oil check is by digital dash display).

I have two pumps .... a Pela hand pump (6l vacuum) and a Lidl Electric job ... basically the Pela doesn't fit all my 'engines'

I cannot remember last time I used a drain plug ... my Perkins 4-107 is via Pela ... even the gearbox is by Pela .... my lawn tractors are by Pela etc. The Electric job is for my Yanmar 2GM and should I ever fool enough to try my Range Rover !!

To OP - use an extractor ... its less hassle ... its cleaner .... IMHO

B27

Visit site
On an older engine, it can be surprising what you find in the sump.

Lumps of gasket goo, bits of metal, water, dead spiders, gunge....

I've had mixed results with the Pela on cars. Ranging from seeming to remove every last drop, down to leaving enough in there that the new oil is instantly dirty. It seems to get worse with each successive car I buy.

srm

Visit site
I used extractor pump on my previous boat's 2GM as no way I could get at the sump plug.
Current boat, with marinised Ford, has best of both worlds, extractor pump permanently fitted to the sump drain plug.

coaster63

Visit site
I used extractor pump on my previous boat's 2GM as no way I could get at the sump plug.
Current boat, with marinised Ford, has best of both worlds, extractor pump permanently fitted to the sump drain plug.
Hello .
.As I continue to give the Yanmar 1GM10 engine on my 'new' Macwester 27 some well needed tlc I am now about to change the oil and filters .
On the face of it this is a simple task but Im not sure what method to use to remove the old oil.
I have read many articles regarding using a extractor pump placed down the dipstick tube .
on the other hand some folk recommend removing the sump nut , whilst others warn of trouble if the sump nut is ever removed because of the filter behind it .
I am puzzled why people warn against removing the sump nut as I feel its the best and easiest method .

thank you in advance .
Hello .

thank you in advance .
Yanmar 1gm10 - engine oil change mod, I've never been happy with the extractor method of removing oil ,ends up messy & not convincing all out , I have on occasion used the removal of the plug holding the pickup strainer that also can be messy as it squirts towards you followed by the strainer .so this layup I've opted for a mod having removed the sump anyway for a proper clean out (luckily long keel so plenty of room ) I've added to the sump what I had surplus anyway to fashion a sump drain
an angle grinder disk nut (you'l now what it is in pics) with 14 mm bolt & sealing washer for draining , so no welding /tapping to do, 4 small 4mm holes +15mm hole ,30mins sorted.

pics -- sump mod

Final touch 5mm slot in plug tail so controlled drain as unscrewed instead of gush dump on final turn, favored catcher
square plastic 4ltr. ice cream tub / shallow 2ltr. no good to much flex & not deep enough when maneuvering lol.

catnick1

Visit site
Thank you to everyone who has forwarded their experience and advice ... this is the strength of this wonderful forum ..

Jonny A

Visit site
I used an extractor for the first time when I got my boat with a 1GM10 - and am now a full convert. Much easier and cleaner.