Yanmar 1GM10 dilemma. 1 or 2 questions please.

Capt. Clueless

Visit site
My 28' boat is on a lake......It has a Yanmar 1GM10 inboard fitted. In my view I don't need an inboard now, as she will never leave the lake, unless I sell her and a raving lunatic wants to pay to move her. So, I'm thinking to my self that I could use all the lovely space the motor takes up under the cockpit as a great extension to the living space as storage etc. If I wanted her to chug somewhere, I could do it with a used outboard.
So,(didn't someone moan about starting a sentence with "so") I started to see how much a used Yanmar 1GM10 would sell for in a reasonable used running condition.(I haven't got round to attempting to see if she runs after a 5 year standstill) so thought of taking it out, spanner cranking, if seized, unsieze it etc. getting it running and maybe selling it. It was new apparently in 1995. I cannot for the life of me find an ad, that has one under 1200 quid and they look nice used shiny ones, (mine isn't, and I'm not going to spend hours polishing it), so what would a rough thereabouts price be to ask for an average running engine with gearbox please and all the panel stuff etc? I would then buy an outboard and job done.

Also, it is tucked under the cockpit and I am confident of getting it out from there, but there is a fair lift to get it out of the hatchway as the cabin is deep down, I'm 6' and can stand up in it. How heavy are they really with all the ancillaries taken off and the gearbox seperate, are they still too heavy or is it a two/three man job? Ta.

Tom Dussek

Visit site
I'm not sure this helps much, but I've recently bought a yacht with the same engine. I paid £1400, and everything on her is in pretty good condition including the engine.

Tranona

Visit site
Expect you will get around £800 - 1000 - including the stern gear and ancilliary components for it if it really is running well. Best to get it running in the boat so that you can demonstrate it. With a bit of luck the buyer will help take it out as this will help him understand how to install it. It is n easy thing to lift out. I both installed mine virtually single handed - just help lifting it up into the boat and removed it with the buyer. That took about 2 hours total. Got £1200 for it 6 years ago and a queue of others waiting if the sale failed!

However the weakness of the 1GM is the exhaust elbow and the head both of which suffer from corrosion. If yours is dodgy, halve the money above.

Personally I think it would be a bad move if the engine is in good condition. I know you won't use it much, but a good hard run a few times a year and it will outlast an outboard and give you electricity on board. Also the looks of your boat will be seriously compromised with an outboard hanging off the back.

Capt. Clueless

Visit site
Yeah, messing about with it in situ is not something I wanted to mess about with, 1) because I live 270 miles away. 2) I don't want to spend loads of time bent double fiddling around, and 3) would like it where I can take my time at home, order what needs ordering and do it in comfort. The aesthetics of an outboard I can live with, compared to the amount of space I'm going to gain with the Yanmar out the way. so I presume we're talking around 5 or 6 hundred quid? time, condensation and neglect hasn't made it the prettiest motor in the world. I know someone who'd help me out with it.

Tranona

Visit site
I gave mine a mid life makeover at home. Without alternator and starter motor it can be lifted relatively easy by one person. You can make it look pretty from the outside with not a lot of effort but well worth taking the exhaust and head off as this will give a good indication of whether it is a runner or ebuild so you can attract the right buyer. Remember there are different ratio gearboxes so make sure you advertise it accurately.

Access to the works official manual is invaluable if you are going to delve inside it.

Niander

Visit site
I gave mine a mid life makeover at home. Without alternator and starter motor it can be lifted relatively easy by one person. You can make it look pretty from the outside with not a lot of effort but well worth taking the exhaust and head off as this will give a good indication of whether it is a runner or ebuild so you can attract the right buyer. Remember there are different ratio gearboxes so make sure you advertise it accurately.

Access to the works official manual is invaluable if you are going to delve inside it.
NO way its a 2 man job to lift it id say even with the gearbox off especially getting it out of a boat on the water.

Tranona

Visit site
NO way its a 2 man job to lift it id say even with the gearbox off especially getting it out of a boat on the water.

I have done it twice, but both times ashore with a beam over the hatch way and a hoist. Two people to lift it over onto the side deck and then lower onto an oil drum and a packing case, then boot of car. With the boat on the water then use the boom as a crane and lower gently onto the pontoon - or even into a workboat alongside.

They are very light compared to other small engines - one of the big selling points.

DownWest

Visit site
70 kg with most of the bits. So lots of Wheatabix if on your own. And, looking at the list prices, since we had trouble with one, £650 for a head. If yours is good, then very useful for spares.

Niander

Visit site
I'd need cornflakes for sure.
i had one it had been underwater for ages but after a rebore i got it going
the seals did a good job of keeping water out from inside the bottom.

Capt. Clueless

Visit site
I've just been looking at the evil bay, to get an idea of spares costings..How does a Yanmar start panel warrant 150 quid? am I missing anything or is it a raving looney? Spares certainly seems the way to go.

nemodreams

Visit site
If running, with all fittings - and the mounts ok -. £600 easy - maybe more. But how do you value our time and effort - and - you have devalued your boat by way more than £600.

Why do you think no one would pay to lift the boat out ? A boat with no engine really will stay on the lake ! Leave it in - keep it going if it runs, even if you use an outboard for preference.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Absolutely inboards are far better for the sea anyway.

Maybe. Small marine diesels aren't exactly clean, particularly older ones. I have been very impressed by how much cleaner my new Nanni is ... no soot stains all around the exhaust, and it's using half as much fuel as the 1GM10. Which, by the way, had a new head, new precombustion chamber and reconditioned injector.