Yanmar 1GM10 dilemma. 1 or 2 questions please.

Capt. Clueless

Visit site
So exactly where is the dilemma? It sounds as if you'd made up your mind before posting.

If you'd taken the time to read the original post, I was asking roughly what it's resale value might be, and also it's weight as to how many people I might need to help me remove it. As usual, the helpful members of this forum helped me make a decision.

patturner

Visit site
Hi JumbleDuck,
do you mind if I ask the cost of the new Nanni, fitting charges?, did you have to refit mounts? etc
I am seriously thinking of replacing my yanmar 1gm10
thank you

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Hi JumbleDuck,
do you mind if I ask the cost of the new Nanni, fitting charges?, did you have to refit mounts? etc
I am seriously thinking of replacing my yanmar 1gm10
thank you

From memory, the Nanni cost about £2,700 and fitting cost £2,300, including parts needed: new seacock, strainer, and coupling. I was able to re-use the propeller, shaft, fuel tank, exhaust system and morse control. Unlike Beta, Nanni don't come with custom feet so my engine bearers had to be built up slightly. Fitting also included moving the inlet seacock (it was ridiculously inaccessible before) and having the engine compartment sound insulation completely replaced, both of which bumped up the priced. I sold the old engine for £850, which softened the blow a bit.

After one summer with the new engine, and about 50 hours, I am reasonably satisfied but not delirious with excitement.

Good things: having more power available, complete absence of soot on the stern, easier starting. Good, helpful service from Peachment's.

Neutral things: it's just as noisy as the old one (as one would expect from a diesel of about the same size) and the vibration is just the same (ditto).

Bad things: it's more complicated, access to the back of it is horrible (I have a rather small engine compartment) I have already needed to get a new header tank because the original one leaked and I couldn't shut it off by the switch when I came back through the Crinan Canal because a fuse had blown.

Conclusion: I don't regret getting a new engine, but the Nanni was an expensive mistake. I should have bought a new 1GM10. No extra power, of course, but a nice simple engine which would have been trivially cheap to fit. I wanted a new engine for increased peace of mind, and I don't get it from the Nanni. Far too much additional complication for no real benefits.

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
I have done the same as JD. It really is the most straightforward of any engine change, although if the boat is light and the 1GM has enough power, then I am not sure it is a good move. The boat I did it in displaces 3 tons or so and definitely needs the extra power and the Nanni/Beta 14 does it within almost the same size envelope. This was important for me as there is no room for a bigger engine, particularly length.

The main mods are on the bearers - the mounts are higher and spaced a bit further apart fore and aft and the exhaust is on the other side. You may also need a new prop depending on your existing gearbox reduction. The water intake needs replacing with a 3/4", but you can re-use most of the other installation bits if in good condition.

1GMs fetch good prices. I got £1200 for mine with all the installation gear.

langstonelayabout

Visit site
I swapped out an older 1GM10 for a new one about 3 years ago.

Sold the old one for £850 inc knackered mounts and good controls panel and the new one cost £3100. Two of us lifted out/in whilst ashore for the winter. Fitted it all myself and considered it money well spent from the first turn of the key. Slightly more power, no black smoke, etc.

Didn't go with a Beta simply to make the swap DIYable. However wouldn't swap an inboard engine for an outboard if you paid me. Madness and you obviously want your outboard stolen in addition to using more fuel.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I was able to re-use the propeller, shaft, fuel tank, exhaust system and morse control.

The main mods are on the bearers - the mounts are higher and spaced a bit further apart fore and aft and the exhaust is on the other side.

I should have said that I was able to re-use the exhaust system with a little modification. The Vetus LP45 water trap stayed (it had to - there is no room for anything bigger) but I had to get a new 40mm inlet spigot for it, which ASAP were able to supply for a tenner. It rotates in the water trap, so it was possible to angle it to mate with a new piece of exhaust hose crossing over above the gearbox.